Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Mary Ann

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

wrote:
I am about 3 months pregnant

Congratulations :-)

and I have 4 stepson's (one away at
college) ages: 13, 13, 16 and 18. The boys reside with my husband and
I on a full-time basis. I have a good relationship with all of the
boys and they were actually quite excited when we told them that we
were going to have a baby (something we've been talking about since we
got married in 2003).

It seems like the arrival will be a very happy event.

Anyhow, I was hoping that someone out there can offer me some advice
about breastfeeding with older children, specifically boys, around. My
husband isn't entirely supportive of it 'cause he thinks that
breastfeeding is an inconvenience.

In what way? You need to be more specific so we can advise.

But I've been reading up and I told
him last night that I want to at least try breastfeeding because I feel
that the benefits highly outweigh the inconveniences.

No question.

The only thing I
am really worried about is how to talk to the boys about it and/or if I
should consider not breastfeeding for the sake of their comfort because
I am afraid that they might feel weird about it. Of course, those of
you that have teenage boys know how they can be sometimes with sexual
type issues.

I certainly don't think you should consider not BF because of what you
are afraid of in this respect. I do however think it is good you are
thinking about these things now. You will need the support of all your
family.

If they have never seen a woman BF they and you may feel uncomfortable.
I was certainly a little uncomfortable to start with when BF infront of
my father, brother and FIL, only because they had never seen my
breasts. As my confidence grew I became more comfortable.

I feel like it's a natural thing though and I want to explain to them
the reasons why it's so important that I breastfeed. Of course, I
wouldn't be hanging out exposing myself everywhere but just the same I
want to be considerate of their feelings and am worried there's no real
way to balance the issue.

I think you need to talk to them about it. Without knowing what sort of
relationship you have with them, it's hard to say whether it would be
better for the whole family to sit together, or whether it's just you
and one or more of the boys, or whether their father speaks to them
first.

If I were you I wouldn't talk to them as if you were asking for
permission if you know what I mean, but tell them you are going to BF
and you're happy to answer questions.

Any help or advice, especially from someone who may have experience
with a similar situation, is appreciated.

Mary Ann