7-Up's Audacious New Ads Exceed Outrageous Limits-FTC does nothing

Old October 15th 06, 03:06 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

Default 7-Up's Audacious New Ads Exceed Outrageous Limits-FTC does nothing

http://www.mercola.com/2006/sep/28/7...ous_limits.htm

A few months ago, I warned you about the deceptive reformulation of
7-Up, allowing soft-drink manufacturer Cadbury Schweppes to market their
uncool "Uncola" as a natural product.

Despite warnings to the contrary and the threat of a lawsuit from the
Center for Science in the Public Interest, 7-Up sales have risen an amazing
18 percent since the campaign began nearly four months ago versus the
previous year.

No wonder, considering this deceptive advertising campaign shows
people treating 7-Up products like natural produce (picked from trees in an
orchard or treated like a fruit in your neighborhood grocery store's produce
department).

It is very clear the food industry continually seeks to manipulate and
deceive you so you will purchase their conveniently tasty wares to make them
richer and you sicker. Typically, it is a bit more subtle and less obvious
than the blatant attempts by Young and Rubicam to capitalize on natural
foods.

7-Up has clearly gone over the edge with their blatant and fraudulent
attempt to gain market share. It is shocking to me that the FTC doesn't slap
them with the huge fines they deserve for this deception. Fortunately, we
don't need the FTC to punish them. We can do it.

I don't believe anyone can justify drinking soda, and hopefully those
of you who are reading this don't drink any, but I'm sure you know someone
who does, which is why Cadbury Schweppes' actions clearly call for a
boycott.

Of course, soft drink companies won't tell you consuming one extra can
a day over the course of a year can add up to 15 pounds. Nor do they mention
their products displaced white bread as the leading source of calories in
the American diet last year.

Fortunately, making the switch from soft drinks to pure water is one
of the best and easiest steps you can make to improve your health. Because
soft drinks can be as addictive as nicotine, making quitting all the harder,
I encourage you to learn Turbo Tapping, a modification of the Emotional
Freedom Technique that can speed up your transition to healthier living.

7-Up's Audacious New Ads Exceed Outrageous Limits

Related Articles:

The Amazing Statistics and Dangers of Soda Pop

Soda Causing Nutritional Deficiencies in Children

Another Reason Sodas Cause Cancer

Old October 17th 06, 02:57 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Bowcatz

7 Up is sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS is not a natural
substance. It's jacked up corn syrup full of enzymes that's fermented. Bad
for your liver. Bad for your health. Bad for you sufferers of GERD or acid
reflux, as some call it.HFCS increases appetite, so you eat and eat and
don't understand why you have an unnatural appetite. When natural corn syrup
was first introduced in the early 1900's, the appetite inducing factor was
one of its selling points. A simple search engine looksee will help you find
links condemning HFCS.

Old October 17th 06, 03:01 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Bowcatz

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/...e_dangers.html

Hope the above link helps explain the dangers of HFCS.

Old October 17th 06, 03:58 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jeff

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. net...

"Bowcatz" wrote in message
7 Up is sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS is not a natural
substance. It's jacked up corn syrup full of enzymes that's fermented. Bad
for your liver. Bad for your health. Bad for you sufferers of GERD or acid
reflux, as some call it.HFCS increases appetite, so you eat and eat and
don't understand why you have an unnatural appetite. When natural corn
syrup was first introduced in the early 1900's, the appetite inducing
factor was one of its selling points. A simple search engine looksee will
help you find links condemning HFCS.

Exactly.

Actually, I don't think fermentation is part of the making of HFCS. One of
the enzymes comes from a mold (aspergillus) when that mold is fermented, but
HFCS itself is not fermented, as far as I can tell.

Chemically, HFCS is just corn starch enzymatically broken down with natural
enzymes. I don't see whether it is "natural" or not matters. HFCS also
contains 45% glucose. If you got the fructose and glucose from apple juice,
chemically it would be identical.

What matters is that HFCS and other forms of sugar are unhealthy additions
to our diets.

That's why I always drink diet drinks.

Jeff

Old October 17th 06, 04:20 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

"Jeff" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. net...

"Bowcatz" wrote in message
[...]

So you ignore the Warning on Artificial Sweeteners.

Old October 17th 06, 06:00 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Peter Bowditch

"Jan Drew" wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. net...

"Bowcatz" wrote in message
[...]

If Jeff doesn't have PKU then of course he can ignore the warnings.
Why not? Just because Betty Martini is mad it doesn't mean that
everyone else has to be mad too.

I only use artificial sweeteners, and I'm not blind or lame.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com