I'm home!

Old July 10th 03, 10:13 PM
Clisby Williams

Default I'm home!

Circe wrote:

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I got home from the hospital
about 90 minutes ago and have been reading all your posts and well-wishes.

Good grief, Barbara - go lie down with a trashy novel and let your kids
peel you
some grapes. (Welcome back!)

Clisby

Old July 10th 03, 10:52 PM
Circe

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I got home from the hospital
about 90 minutes ago and have been reading all your posts and well-wishes.

First, let me say that I'm utterly humbled and *very* grateful to you all.
It is amazing to have such an incredible network of people you've never even
met who are caring about you and pulling for you. I really just
feel...humbled, maybe even a little embarrassed.

I know there've been some questions as to how I got myself into this mess in
the first place, and the truth is, it was a bit of complacency on my part
and some really bad luck. I've been treating my asthma symptomatically for
years, and I knew what I was doing was not THE BEST treatment, but three
kids and a full-time job and the thousand other medical events we've had
'round here (big baby heads, broken arms, etc. ad infinitum) just kept
pushing that visit with my doctor off. And since I was not symptomatic
often--I could go literally days without problems--and since the albuterol
and serevent seemed to work well when I WAS having trouble, it didn't seem
like a pressing matter. Things obviously changed Monday morning.

Honestly, we don't really know what triggered this event, but I went from a
very mild asthma attack to feeling like someone had literally shut the door
between my upper airways and my lungs in under 10 minutes. It was LIGHTNING
fast. I had my albuterol and my nebulizer, but because I couldn't get ANY
air into my lungs at all, they weren't helping.

The plan at this point is to get me on Advair as a 2x daily preventive, with
plenty of albuterol as needed if I'm having trouble. I'm also scaling down
on oral steroids and taking an antibiotic prophylactically for a few more
days. In addition, the pulmonologist who saved my life (bless him) gave me a
prescription for an epi-pen. If I had had one of those on hand when this
event started, I might have been in a bit better shape when I got to the
hospital, since it might have opened my airways enough to allow the
albuterol to get in and do some good. As it was, the only way to get air
into me was to intubate me and force it in there--and believe you me, my
lungs *know* they were forced to breathe against their will!

As we've been discussing this whole event, it has occurred to us that my
father's asthma worsened significantly when he was my age. He thought it was
due to having his nasal passages "roto-rootered", but given that he was
39-40 and I'm 39, it seems entirely possible that our asthma triggers are
just designed to get worse at around this age. I am much more fortunate than
he in that there are much better medications available these days to treat
asthma preventively, though!

All things considered, I'm amazed. Monday, I was at death's door and today
I'm home with my family. I am so incredibly blessed. And grateful to have a
second opportunity to be a better wife, mother, daughter, and friend. Thank
you so much for caring.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"Loose weight, feel great!" -- fair booth sign

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Old July 10th 03, 11:07 PM
Astromum

Circe, I am so glad to hear you are doing well! I guess your
attack made everybody realize how fragile we are and how small
the difference between life and death can actually be. I know
I gave DH and DS an extra hug when I heard the news, and I am
still reminded of it every time I swap over to am or mk*...

Today is truly the beginning of the rest of your life. Enjoy!

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 10th 03, 11:33 PM
Kari

Thank you for taking the time to let all of us know! Im glad all is well, I
have been checking the group (s) faithfully just to read updates. Take care
and get well soon!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Old July 11th 03, 12:02 AM
toto

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:52:51 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

All things considered, I'm amazed. Monday, I was at death's door and today
I'm home with my family. I am so incredibly blessed. And grateful to have a
second opportunity to be a better wife, mother, daughter, and friend. Thank
you so much for caring.

This is good news, Barbara. I am glad you are home. Now rest up and
do what you need to to stay well.

Still keeping you in my thoughts.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 11th 03, 12:08 AM
Stephen & Christine Davie

good to hear you are home. hope you get on top of the asthma. i get it in
a mild fashion, and it aint fun.

christine

Old July 11th 03, 12:21 AM
ºFree~Spiritº

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:52:51 -0700, "Circe" wrotc:

[...]

Glad to have you back and hope you do well in the future.

Free Spirit
DD(7) DS(10)
Old July 11th 03, 12:22 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Circe wrote:

Monday, I was at death's door and today
I'm home with my family.

We're so glad to have you back. It just wouldn't be the
same without you.

Phoebe