ADHD

Old July 16th 03, 07:47 PM
RuggyKurtz

Default ADHD

I'm wondering *why* your doctor has taken your child off his meds. Is
it because he's not gaining weight or growing? If that's the case, you
might want to look at the lastest research on growth and ADHD meds,
because they've recently shown that the growth does catch up. It may
be somewhat slower *now*, but the end result is pretty much the same
height the child would have obtained without meds.

If it's just for 'a break', I'd really question who is supposed to be
getting the break, and why. For an ADHD child, being around annoyed
parents and friends isn't fun. I haven't really gotten why doctors
want to take kids off the meds during the summer. As the mom of two
AHDH kids, one of whom *cannot* be off his meds for any length of time
without serious disaster, I don't see the point of making an entire
family miserable if it's not medically necessary.

Could you please give us more information as to why your child is
unmedicated during the summer? That would help to understand what your
child is experiencing during these summer months.

Good luck!

Marjorie

Well at his last doc appointment, the doctor said.."well I guess we'll be
seeing you right before school starts". I asked why not sooner, and she said
that he didnt need meds over the summer!! I know that he is not enjoying his
summer like he should be, and I paged her today, btu I am stillw aiting to hear
from her. Will let you all know what happens!

Brandy
Old July 16th 03, 07:48 PM
RuggyKurtz

The problem with what you're saying is, the diet doesn't work for ANY
ADHD child. It's been completely disproven time and time again. And
while people who do not have ADHD children really don't understand the
enormous stress this child can cause in a family, adding a restrictive
diet to the mix is often detrimental to the entire family. Since the
diet doesn't work, and families with ADHD kids pretty much know that
changes in diet are essentially useless (unless a child has an allergy
or insensitivity), then promoting it as something that might 'cure' a
problem when there really is no cure is shoddy.

You think it's worth a try. Fine, when your ADHD kids need help, you
give them a restrictive diet and see if it works for you. But do not
expect families who live with explosive, inflexible, difficult
hyperactive children to jump at the chance to make their kid even more
miserable with food changes they don't want or that don't work. OK?

Marjorie

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Noone can know how stressfull it is without experiencing
it first hand!

Brandy