Light so toddler can look around at night?

Old November 22nd 03, 10:26 PM
toypup

Default Light so toddler can look around at night?

"Herself" wrote in message
toypup wrote:

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

DS had a light in his room that dims slowly over 15 minutes until it's

off.
We used it for awhile when DS was having problems falling asleep in

total
darkness. It seemed to work and DS didn't need it for long.

What was it called? It sounds great!

It's by Babytec
http://www.babytec.co.uk/page34.html...05448179409656 . I'm in
the U.S. I can't remember what site I got it from, but it's definitely
available here.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:05 AM
Herself

Thank you so much! I know a few people who can use one of those :-).

--
'Tis Herself
Old November 24th 03, 04:55 PM
Jenn

In article ,
(Kooky45) wrote:

Until recently my 2 year old son has been a perfect baby; we put him
to bed at around 8pm and he would sleep quietly right through to 8am.
Now though he's up and restless until nearly 9pm (perhaps we need to
cut out his afternoon nap) and when we put him to bed he lies awake
screaming for about 15 mins before dropping off to sleep. Once asleep
though we don't hear from him again until 8am. I'm not particularly
bothered about this as during the day he really enjoys playing with us
and obviously doesn't like being put to bed now.

My mum however (my son's grandmum) says that as the baby is lying
awake for longer at night, we should put a small light in his room so
he can look around and play with toys in his cot until he goes to
sleep. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I prefer him to
sleep in darkness if he can and also so that we don't have to disturb
him by going in later and turning the light off.

Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

Thanks,

Ken

there is some evidence [although it is disputed] that light at night
increases nearsightedness in kids. given your preference, I'd go with
dark -- why do something that might facilitate his wakefullness and
encourage him to play at night -- which is hardly what you want him to do