Eventful night (graphic)

Old July 22nd 03, 01:40 AM
==Daye==

Default Eventful night (graphic)

Hello all...

I had quite a night last night. I am now 15 weeks pregnant. My
morning sickness is almost gone. I get it mainly in the evening.
Last night, my DH made a lovely dinner (he is our cook). I threw
it all back up. Not my fault... it was the morning sickness.

After the food came up, I threw up blood. Talk about freaking
out. I panicked. I kept telling my DH, "I am throwing up blood.
I don't know what to do."

My mother is a nurse in the US. So I called her internationally.
It was 4am for her. I woke her up. The first words out of my
mouth was, "Momma, I am throwing up blood." That woke her up!
She asked me questions to see exactly what was going on.

She decided that it must be from my esophagus because there
wasn't much blood. She thought the force or the food could have
injured it. In fact, after I talked to her, I didn't throw up
again, and everything was okay.

Anyone else experience this??? I must say, it was very upsetting
for me.

Side note: I am going in for my Triple Test today.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 22nd 03, 04:27 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

==Daye== wrote:

Anyone else experience this???

I didn't really have morning sickness. But I did have
gallbladder attacks that made me throw up, and I'd sometimes
see a bit of blood. I also ruptured capillaries in my face
every time, so you could tell by looking at me if I'd had an
attack the night before.

Phoebe

Old July 22nd 03, 05:34 AM
nichole

Daye wrote:

(regarding throwing up blood)
Anyone else experience this??? I must say, it was very upsetting
for me.

I had gastric bypass surgery two years ago, I threw up a lot for the first
couple months after surgery. I did end up throwing up blood and called my
surgeon in a panic at about 2am. He told me to calm down and slowly drink some
ice water and that it was probably from my esophagus. He told me if it
happened again though, to go to the ER.

I agree, it's a scary thing. I have had "morning" sickness since week 3 or 4
of my pregnancy (going on week 19 now) and sometimes it hurts so bad I just
know I am going to end up throwing up blood. Been OK so far though.

Nichole

#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

With my first pregnancy I had vomiting from morning sickness and migraines.
One night it was streaked with blood, quite a lot actually. The doctor
actually got grumpy with me for getting him up at 2am. Apparently it's
common in pregnancy because, as you say you injure your esophagus. It's
similar to how your gums can bleed when you brush your teeth in pregnancy,
apparently. All that said, I was terrifed! I suffered no adverse effects and
neither did the baby.

I am now pregnant agian and just got a tummy bug. Again I had bloody vomit
on several occasions. My midwife said the same thing as the doctor did last
time (without telling me off for wasting time!), no problem just from the
force of the vomiting.

Hope that puts your mind at rest a little bit. It's something I wish I had
been warned about. I thought I had stomach cancer at the time! Talk to your
midwife or doctor next time you see them if you are still worried.

Judy

Old July 22nd 03, 06:15 AM
Preggy Sue

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:40:40 +1000, ==Daye==
wrote:

[...]

OMG
Daye, I would have been MORE than panicking!!! Glad that it hasn't
happened again!

(((((Daye)))))

--

Mum to Tyler - April 2001
#2 EDD March 2004
Old July 22nd 03, 02:24 PM
Elly

Daye - wow, what a scarry night! I hope the morning sickness stops and that
you don't have any episodes like that again!
On the side note, I started throwing up occasionally again - I am sure it's
from the iron supplement my ob/gyn is still making me take it every 2nd day
(when I told her my haemoglobin levels are normal, she just said, "It does
not matter, in my practice I found out the 3rd-trimester ladies and their
babies really need the extra iron", so I try to take it a couple of days a
week at least - she did switch the prescription from the pill to the syrup,
which is a bit easier - but I still threw it up yesterday).

Good luck with your TT - hope you get the results soon (I had to wait 16
days for them, but it was worth it)!

Elly
on vacation at DH's place - yay!
29 weeks + 1 day
EDD October 6th

#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Old July 22nd 03, 04:14 PM
Astromum

==Daye== wrote:
She decided that it must be from my esophagus because there
wasn't much blood. She thought the force or the food could have
injured it. In fact, after I talked to her, I didn't throw up
again, and everything was okay.

Anyone else experience this??? I must say, it was very upsetting
for me.

Ooh scary! {{{Daye}}} I hope you feel better now. I recall that
I bleeded very easily during pregnancy. One sneeze would give
me a nose bleed, I also had problems with my gums. It makes sense
to me that vomiting might damage your esophagus and you spit up
the blood. As you haven't had any more blood vomiting, I'd stop
worrying and just mention it to the doctor during the next visit.

Good luck with the test!

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 22nd 03, 08:15 PM
Em

"==Daye==" wrote in message
I had quite a night last night. I am now 15 weeks pregnant. My
morning sickness is almost gone. I get it mainly in the evening.
Last night, my DH made a lovely dinner (he is our cook). I threw
it all back up. Not my fault... it was the morning sickness.

After the food came up, I threw up blood. Talk about freaking
out. I panicked. I kept telling my DH, "I am throwing up blood.
I don't know what to do."

Scary, Daye! I don't blame you a bit for freaking out!

She decided that it must be from my esophagus because there
wasn't much blood. She thought the force or the food could have
injured it. In fact, after I talked to her, I didn't throw up
again, and everything was okay.

The esophagus explanation makes sense to me (but I'm not a medical
professional!) as does what others have mentioned about bleeding easier
during pregnancy (gums, etc).

Side note: I am going in for my Triple Test today.

Hope that went well for you! Did you ask the Dr about the throwing up blood
while you were in there?

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old July 22nd 03, 10:22 PM
==Daye==

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:15:44 GMT, "Em"
wrote:

Did you ask the Dr about the throwing up blood
while you were in there?

First, let me say thank you to all who answered and/or gave
suport.

I didn't see my doctor. The blood was taken in Pathology at the
hospital. I don't have an appointment with my doctor until next
Friday. I am thinking about moving my appointment up because
there are a couple of things that have happened that are
worrying.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 23rd 03, 01:16 PM
Elly

"Em" ha scritto nel messaggio
"Elly" wrote in message
Daye - wow, what a scary night! I hope the morning sickness stops and

that
you don't have any episodes like that again!
On the side note, I started throwing up occasionally again - I am sure

it's
from the iron supplement my ob/gyn is still making me take it every 2nd

day
(when I told her my haemoglobin levels are normal, she just said, "It

does
not matter, in my practice I found out the 3rd-trimester ladies and

their
babies really need the extra iron", so I try to take it a couple of days

week at least - she did switch the prescription from the pill to the

syrup,
which is a bit easier - but I still threw it up yesterday).

I must say that I disagree with this "absolutist" attitude of your ob

about
the iron supplement! It seems like she would try to base the iron
recommendation on individual needs as opposed to the "blanket" approach. I
imagine you've thought of this already, but if it makes you throw up and
thus not get into your system anyway, it kind of seems like you might as
well just skip it altogether and keep up with good dietary habits instead!
Maybe your body will adjust to it with a little more time? I *hate* to

throw
up & it bothers me that you're having to do so!

Best wishes!

Oh, I also *hate* her for her approach (especially when head down the
toilette bowl - sorry for being so graphic!). She said to take it every
other day, I take it every 3rd day and sort of try to *mask* it with eating
right before and right after - that usually does the trick and helps me not
throw up. But still, it does not help all the time, and actually the days
after the throwing-up episodes are the worst - yesterday I was so reluctant
to take it (after not taking it for 2 full days and throwing it up the 3rd
day) - because you kind of still remember how sick and weak it made you feel
(although you felt perfectly normal before taking it) and are afraid it will
make you feel like that again (though, yesterday I masked it with food and
did not throw up)...

Elly
29 weeks + 2 days
EDD October 6th