LA City to Ban Halloween - No Joke!!!!

Old October 17th 04, 07:33 PM
Catherine Woodgold

Default LA City to Ban Halloween - No Joke!!!!

hy ) writes:
If it is unsafe for kids to go out at night, on halloween, is it
unsafe for them to go out christmas caroling too, shopping for
presents etc., and skating on New Years or the other host of
activities that parents take their kids to over this season?

Actually, I think Halloween promotes safety by being
an opportunity for neighbours to socialize and get to
know each other.

More pedestrians on the sidewalks means safer cities
(see Jane Jacobs' books).
--
Cathy
Old October 17th 04, 07:41 PM
Catherine Woodgold

Councilman Trae Welch makes good points (below).
It's a freedom thing.

Someone I used to know who is a Pagan said she was
offended by Halloween: she felt people dressing up as
witches were making fun of her religion. That's one
point of view; but I feel people have the right to
choose what to celebrate. Believing that someone else'
customs are offensive doesn't make those customs wrong.
Actually, a lot of Christians find Pagan celebrations
offensive.

I really like something one Pagan said -- something
like "Oh, no, we don't worship Satan. Satan is part
of the Christian pantheon."

LeMod Pol ) writes:
Baker officials hope to ban 'satanic' holiday
By CHUCK HUSTMYRE
Special to The Advocate
Councilman Trae Welch, who is also a lawyer, said any
proposed ordinance to ban Halloween would almost
certainly run into immediate legal problems. He said
the City Council cannot enact an ordinance barring
someone from dressing up in a costume and knocking on a
neighbor's door, either on Halloween or any other day.

Welch said the council doesn't have the authority to
tell people what they can and cannot celebrate. If the
issue of banning Halloween does come up for a vote,
Welsh said he has already made his decision. "I know I
wouldn't vote for it," he said.

--
Cathy
Old October 20th 04, 01:38 AM
GI Trekker

"We're going to introduce an ordinance to stop
Halloween -- period," City Councilman Fred Russell said.

During this week's City Council meeting, Russell
announced that he was in favor of eliminating Halloween
beginning in 2005.

Russell is not alone in taking this stance because
throughout the Bible Belt this October, others are
speaking out on religious grounds against celebrating
Halloween on Oct. 31 since it falls on a Sunday.

Russell told council members he hears from 10 to 15
people each year asking him to ban Baker's Halloween
celebration. "People don't like it," he said.

What disturbs some people about Halloween, particularly
church leaders, is its association with witchcraft and
anti-Christian values, Russell said.

At the council meeting, Russell declared, "We are a
Christian city. Jesus is lord over Baker."

However, Russell acknowledged that any ordinance aimed
at banning Halloween would need council approval.

Mayor Harold Rideau said he, too, supports the idea of
ditching Halloween.

"That's one day I don't support," Rideau said. "It's
not really a day you want to celebrate as a Christian."

GOOD FOR THEM! I hope it's a trend!
Old October 20th 04, 01:24 PM
enigma

(GI Trekker) wrote in
:

[...]

the population of Baker LA is approx. 13,648 people (2002
census). if *only* 10 or 15 are whining about Hallowe'en
celebrations, then the council is not representing a majority
of thier constituants by acting.
of course, in the article i read, only 2 of 5 council members
could be persuaded to vote on a ban. the other 3 thought it
was silly, which it is...
i have no idea where Fundementalist Christians get the idea
that Hallowe'en is for satan worshipping anyway. it *was* a
pagan celebration of the dead & while it has been co-opted by
some Wiccan religions as a holy day, it still has & never had
anything to do with devil worship. Wiccans do NOT believe in
satan. neither do pagans. only Christians have the devil.
so why is Hallowe'en so vilified? too cheap to give out candy
or have a nice bonfire & party?
lee

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still
differentiate
Old October 20th 04, 02:39 PM
Tori M.

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
(GI Trekker) wrote in
:

[...]

It stems from the fact that for some christians if it is not biblical it is
evil. My brother does not do halloween with his kids but I follow Dr.
Dobsons belief that dressing up is a healthy way for kids to express
themselves. I would not allow certain costumes but all parents should have
some sort of control on that anyway.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier Hanging in by a rib Due 10/??/04

Old October 20th 04, 03:24 PM
Banty

In article , Tori M. says...

i have no idea where Fundementalist Christians get the idea
that Hallowe'en is for satan worshipping anyway. it *was* a
pagan celebration of the dead & while it has been co-opted by
some Wiccan religions as a holy day, it still has & never had
anything to do with devil worship. Wiccans do NOT believe in
satan. neither do pagans. only Christians have the devil.
so why is Hallowe'en so vilified? too cheap to give out candy
or have a nice bonfire & party?
lee

It stems from the fact that for some christians if it is not biblical it is
evil. My brother does not do halloween with his kids but I follow Dr.
Dobsons belief that dressing up is a healthy way for kids to express
themselves. I would not allow certain costumes but all parents should have
some sort of control on that anyway.

The Christian effort to either stamp out or co-opt pagan holidays is nearly two
thousand years old. And hasn't stopped.

Personally, I resent it. It's my heritage that has been buried (such that
modern Pagans pretty much have had to make things up based on the threads of
what's left).

Banty