Increase in head circumference

Old October 19th 04, 07:51 PM
firedancer623

Default Increase in head circumference

I just returned from Xander's 12 month WBV and as the subject says - he had
a considerable increase in his head circumference - from the 50th% at 6 mos
to 90th% today. Personally, I always thought his head was on the large side,
even before his 6 month check up. I remember then asking the nurse if it was
on the large side even then and it wasn't. It hasn't grown bigger to *me*
and I would think that I would notice it increasing that much. (apparently
not though)

They've got him sceduled for a CT scan on Thursday but Im of course, worried
nonetheless.

He's actually on target or advanced in all other areas, walking, talking,
etc. Everything else was perfectly normal.

Thoughts?

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old October 19th 04, 08:55 PM
Ericka Kammerer

firedancer623 wrote:

I just returned from Xander's 12 month WBV and as the subject says - he had
a considerable increase in his head circumference - from the 50th% at 6 mos
to 90th% today. Personally, I always thought his head was on the large side,
even before his 6 month check up. I remember then asking the nurse if it was
on the large side even then and it wasn't. It hasn't grown bigger to *me*
and I would think that I would notice it increasing that much. (apparently
not though)

They've got him sceduled for a CT scan on Thursday but Im of course, worried
nonetheless.

He's actually on target or advanced in all other areas, walking, talking,
etc. Everything else was perfectly normal.

Thoughts?

Adrian had a jump at least that big between birth and two or
four months (forget which). It got his doctors in a tizzy, but as
everything else was perfectly normal and we all have pretty big heads,
we elected not to do anything about it. He is (and was) fine and
all my other kids have big heads too. I don't know if it's
significantly different having a big jump between 6-12 months
instead of earlier. I think there's ample possibility that
you're dealing with measurement error here. Getting a head circ.
on a wriggly baby is no mean feat.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 19th 04, 08:58 PM
firedancer623

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
firedancer623 wrote:

[...]

Thanks. The nurse actually did measure him twice today and both times got
the same measurement. If there is/was an error, I'd guess it was either at
the last checkup or the one before. I know the ct scan won't really bother
him, he's going to be lightly sedated and I'd rather know that he's ok but
Im still worried nonetheless.

None of my other kids have large heads, I dont know about me but, my husband
does have a larger than average head. And Xander, like I said, has always
looked like he's had a big head. He's really bald (still) and it's big from
front to back and in the back area rather than wide. But again, he's been
that way since 2 or 3 mos as far as I can remember.

Thanks again,
Kari

Old October 19th 04, 09:45 PM
firedancer623

:
: They've got him sceduled for a CT scan on Thursday but Im of course,
worried
: nonetheless.
:
: He's actually on target or advanced in all other areas, walking,
talking,
: etc. Everything else was perfectly normal.
:
: Thoughts?

For boys at twelve months, the difference between 50th percentile and 90th
percentile is 1.6 cm, not a whole lot (3.4% of the 50th percentile value).
The head circumference curves are (relative to height and weight) rather
close,
so a small absolute change can make a big difference in percentile. Also,
head
circumference is more difficult to measure accurately.

Anyway, maybe he's just busy shuffling neurons and synapses.

I wouldn't waste energy worrying about this. Save your nervousness for
his
first date in your car when it'll do you some good.

Richard
Micaela's dad

LOL Thanks, how right you are.

I appreciate the response.

Kari

Old October 19th 04, 10:29 PM
Banty

In article , Richard says...

firedancer623 wrote:
[...]

It won't do any good then, either.

Banty

Old October 20th 04, 04:40 AM
newfy.1

"firedancer623" wrote in message
[...]

JMO, but I think it's a case of being better safe than sorry.

Not to scare you *please*, but I was with a freind tonight who has a son
who's head circumference had a big jump from one appointment to the next.
The pediatrician said it was most likely nothing but to be sure, they would
send him for a CT scan. They discovered a cluster of cysts at the base of
his brain that was causing hydrocephalus which left intact would grow and
cause further issues. He did have surgery to remove them asap and he's now a
very healthy, developmentally on target 4 year old. No developmental issues,
no shunt, no hydrocephalus. This was at about five months old.

It could definitly be mismeasuring, but knowing my freind's experience, I'd
be glad to rule anything out.

JennP.

Old October 20th 04, 05:02 AM
Jeff

[...]

90th%ile is normal. He is developing normally.

Don't worry. He is fine.

Jeff

Old October 20th 04, 01:24 PM
firedancer623

"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

I think the concern wasn't so much that he was 90th% but that he jumped from
being in the 50th to the 90th.

It didn't seem to matter that I've noticed he's had a larger head than my
other 2 right from birth when the newborn sized hats didn't fit him. By the
time he was 6 mos old, he was wearing the 18-24M sizes. He still wears that
size now. I was a little suprised that now they are saying it's all of a
sudden huge when it's something I said months ago.

Regardless, he's having his ct scan tomorrow. He will be sedated lightly so
it shouldn't be too traumatic for him, aside from the no food or drink for 4
hours prior. We'll get the results on Friday and I'll post an update.

Old October 20th 04, 02:08 PM
Sophie

[...]

This happened to my friend with 6 kids, with her 5th child. At his 1 yr
check up also. Not being funny but the Dr simply asked if her husband has a
big head, which he does (he's also well over 6 feet and she's big for a
woman at about 5 feet 10). And that was that. He still hasn't grown into
his head as it were (lol) but developmentally he's always been just fine.

Old October 20th 04, 02:23 PM
firedancer623

"Sophie" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I think Justin has a big head, but not really huge. Just a bit
above average. Mine, I don't know honestly. I think his ped. would rather
just get him tested to be sure, not that he thinks anything is really wrong
but if there was, it would certainly be better to find out now.

He does have a really big head though, and it's bald so it just kind of
magnifies it even more.

Spanking Debate (Flame-free) Catherine Woodgold Spanking 4 September 12th 04 07:53 PM
How big of a deal is head circumference of the baby? ted General 1 May 19th 04 08:33 PM
How big of a deal is head circumference of the baby? ted Pregnancy 1 May 19th 04 08:33 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
Brain Growth, Head Circumference, and Autism Circe General 3 July 17th 03 10:00 PM