Oregon: Tobacco Tax Measure

Old September 7th 07, 09:09 PM posted to or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
-s-

Default Oregon: Tobacco Tax Measure

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:56:24 -0700, (Paul Berg) wrote:

`
News article from The (Portland) Oregonian ~ September 4, 2007

This week marks the start of what promises to be one of the most
expensive ballot measure campaigns in Oregon history as voters decide in
November whether to increase tobacco taxes to provide health care for
uninsured children.

It's fair as long as only smokers allowed to vote.
If they allow non-smokers to vote on this, it will become mob rule
(aka. "democracy).
It would be unacceptable to allow people who have more children than they
can take care of to vote, and force smokers to pay for their failure.
I smoke, I pay for my healthcare, I even pay thousands of dollars each year
to fund our failing school system, etc. If you ask me to pay even more
so people who are too lazy to pay for their expensive hobbies (children)
I'm going to have to say no. I'll just buy my cigarettes from other sources.

-s

Measure 50 on the Nov. 6 ballot would increase the tax on a pack of
cigarettes by 85 cents, raising an estimated $153 million this two-year
budget period and $233 million the next to provide health insurance to
an estimated 117,000 Oregon children. The tax increase would go into the
state Constitution.

The campaign will be costly chiefly because tobacco companies plan for a
spending blitz to try to stop the "Healthy Kids" proposal. Last fall,
voters in California and Missouri rejected higher tobacco taxes after
opponents unloaded serious money to convince them the tax was unfair and
ripe for bureaucratic bungling.

Tobacco companies spent more than $65 million in California to stop a
$2.60 increase, and about $6 million to halt an 80-cent increase in
Missouri. Both measures failed by 3 percentage points.

"There was no point where we thought we'd win it by a lot. We thought it
was possible to lose it by a lot," says John Hancock, lead consultant
for the pro-tax campaign in Missouri. "The tobacco companies put their
money in relatively late in the campaign here."

In Oregon, voters are known for their stingy take on general taxes, but
they have approved higher tobacco prices twice in the past 11 years.

A 60-cent increase in 2002 went toward the Oregon Health Plan, which
covers needy adults and children. And in 1996, voters approved a 30-cent
increase despite a $4.6 million pushback campaign by the tobacco
industry.

"Most people don't smoke, and so it's a really easy way to raise taxes
on somebody else," says independent Portland pollster Tim Hibbitts. "On
top of that, there is a stigma around smoking. Tobacco companies are not
exactly what I'd call beloved."

But opponents of the measure argue the dynamics are different this time,
with voters being asked to cement the tax into the constitution.

"What are you going to do if this program needs more money or has too
much money?" says J. L. Wilson, spokesman for the "Oregonians against
the Blank Check," a campaign funded largely by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.

"You'll have to ask voters to go through the whole process of changing
the tax rate when the Legislature should be able to adjust it on its
own."

Cigarette tax timeline

The proposal ended up before voters after legislators spent all session
fighting over it. Though Democrats lawmakers controlled both houses,
they couldn't garner enough Republican votes to pass a cigarette tax
increase. Under state law, a tax increase needs three-fifths majority
vote. Democrats, however, had enough legislative votes to put it before
state voters.

If approved, the new tax of $2.03 would start Jan. 1. Oregon's tax would
go from the middle of the pack to one of the highest in the country.
Insurance coverage would begin July 1, 2008 for Oregon children 18 and
under who don't have coverage.

Supporters say they hope to have insured more than three-fourths of
Oregon's uninsured children by July 2010. The income eligibility level
for free insurance would rise from 185 percent to 200 percent of the
federal poverty level, or roughly $41,000 for a family of four. Families
that earn a little more will get subsidies to buy private plans offered
through the state.

Opponents argue that many uninsured children are already eligible for
coverage and there's no need to give more money to the state.

They also point out that uninsured children will get only a portion of
the new money -- $43 million out of $153 million this budget period --
as the proposal calls for spending on uninsured adults and leaves a
chunk in reserves that legislators can use on other health needs.

Supporters counter that they need to save some money to cushion the
program against downturns, and they promise to spend it on children's
health care. They also note that the amount of money projected to be
spent on children's health care zooms to $142 million of the estimated
$233 million raised in 2009-11.

"I think voters are going to agree with the Legislature that it's a fair
and responsible way to address one of the largest problems addressing
our state," says Rep. Tina Kotek, D-Portland.

The "Yes on the Healthy Kids Plan" campaign has raised more than
$900,000 in cash and commitments from deep pocket unions, hospitals and
insurance companies.

Tobacco battles back

On the other side, R.J. Reynolds says it's prepared to spend at least $3
million to win. Already the company has dumped more than $1.7 million
into its "Oregonians Against the Blank Check" committee.

Philip Morris USA has not disclosed how much it will spend. Its parent
company is also paying for a lawsuit to try to keep the measure off the
ballot.

One of the plaintiffs named in the lawsuit is Hugh Gingell, who owns the
Timber Valley Tobaccos shop in Beaverton.

"Here we are going after the smokers again for revenue that's supposed
to help all the children," says Gingell, surrounded by walls stacked
with boxes of cigars and cigarettes.

"Shouldn't all the people be paying for it?"
Dianne Stiles plops down $15 at the counter for four packs of
cigarettes. She's 55 years old, a former bartender who says she took her
first puff at age 5. She blanches and rolls her eyes when asked about
the proposed tax increase.

"I'm not going to quit smoking, but I don't think I should have to pay
so damn much for my cigarettes," she says. "It's not fair."

`

Old September 9th 07, 08:14 PM posted to or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
The BIG N

On Sep 9, 7:45 am, Confused Super Troll Shane wrote:

Ah. Democracy isn't all its cracked up to be, is it?

Interesting observation from a neurotic control freak

The BIG N

Old September 10th 07, 03:29 AM posted to or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
JSM

On Sep 7, 1:09 pm, -s- wrote:
[...]

If tobacco were to pay it's own way, it would be $7 a pack tax, just
to break even.

New Report: Half of Cancer Deaths Could Be Prevented [03/31/05]
New Study: Smoking High Among Young White Women in NYC [03/30/05]
New Study: Secondhand Smoke Increases Risk of Stroke Among Wives of
Smokers [03/24/05]
Smoking Prevention Programs for Students Are Not Working [03/22/05]
Wash. Post: Ridding A New Home of Tobacco Smoke is Time-Consuming and
Expensive [03/17/05]
African American Children Suffer Disproportionately from ETS Exposure
[03/15/05]
Secondhand Smoke Exposure Increases Risk of Breast Cancer [03/04/05]
New Study Measures ETS Levels in Europe [02/24/05]
New Study: Anti-Smoking Campaign Has Helped Cut Youth Smoking Rates
[02/23/05]
DC's Air Quality Among Five Worst in the Nation Due to Lack of Smoking
Laws [02/16/05]
New Poll: Restaurant Revenues Up in Albuquerque Following Smoking Ban
[02/15/05]
More Evidence that ETS Causes Lung Cancer and COPD [02/04/05]
New Study: Nonsmokers' Net Worth 50% Higher Than Smokers [02/03/05]
Cancer Will Overtake Heart Disease as Leading Killer of Americans
[02/01/05]
New Study: Smoking Harms More Women Than Men [02/01/05]
New Study: Passive Smoking in Childhood May Increase Risk of Lung
Cancer Later [01/28/05]
New Report: Sexual Abuse Linked to Smoking in Women [01/27/05]
New Poll: 59% of Virginians Support State Indoor Smoking Ban
[01/21/05]
U.S. Gets Failing Grades on Tobacco Control Report [01/06/05]
New Mexico Voters Support a Statewide Ban on Smoking [01/06/05]
Poll: D.C. Voters Support Ban on Workplace Smoking [01/06/05]
Italy: New Study Shows Cigarettes Pollute More Than Traffic [01/05/05]
New Study: ETS Linked to Reading, Math, Logic and Reasoning Decline in
Kids [01/04/05]
Finland: 1970s Law Restricting Smoking in Public Helped Curb Nation's
Smoking Rates [12/14/04]
New Study: Smokers More Likely to be Dateless [12/13/04]
CDC Overestimates Obesity Death Rates; Smoking Remains #1 Preventable
Killer [11/24/04]
Smoking Blamed for 5 Million Deaths in 2000 [11/24/04]
Ohio Adult Smoking Rate Drops for Second Year [11/23/04]
Many Medical Schools Still Profit from Ties to Tobacco Industry
[11/15/04]
CDC: Smoking Rates Decline in the U.S. [11/10/04]
New Report on Passive Smoking: 'The Human Cost of Tobacco' [11/10/04]
New Study: 70% of Smokers Suffer from Mental Disorders [11/08/04]
CDC: Smoking by Pregnant Missouri Women Costing State Millions Per
Year [11/08/04]
New Study: U of Minn. Students Smoking Rates are Down; Students Lobby
for Statewide Smoking Ban [11/05/04]
New Study: Puffing Even 1 Cigarette in Childhood Increases Odds of
Future Smoking [11/02/04]
KY: Indoor Air Pollution Plummets After Lexington Implements Smoking
Ban [10/28/04]
7 Out of 10 Britons Support National Smoking Ban [10/27/04]
New Study Reports that Mailing Ex-Smokers Set of Self-Help Booklets
Helps Them Stay Smoke-Free [10/26/04]
New Study: Smokers 33% More Likely to Develop Asthma; Risk for Women
Greater [10/26/04]
Growing Number British Employers Refusing to Hire Smokers [10/22/04]
U.S. Treasury Secretary Warns Smoking is Boosting U.S. Health Costs
[10/20/04]
New Study: Second-hand Smoke Hits Children Hardest [10/20/04]
New Evidence that Air Pollution and Secondhand Smoke Combine to Damage
Lung Health in Babies [10/14/04]
Companies Increasingly Saying Smokers Need Not Apply [10/12/04]
CDC Says Fewer Women Smoke During Pregnancy [10/08/04]
ASH Quoted as MI Company Says Employees Will be Fired if They Smoke
Anywhere, Anytime [10/08/04]
New Study: Mothers Who Smoke May Raise Babies' Risk of Developing
Colic [10/04/04]
85% of Conn. Residents Support Smoke-Free Workplace Law [09/28/04]
New Poll in Tobacco States Indicates Strong Support for FDA Regulation
[09/17/04]
Utah's Smoking Rate Among Adults Drops to Less Than 12% [09/16/04]
Doctors Say Smoking is Among Top Preventable Risks for 90% of All
Heart Attacks [09/13/04]
New Report: Tobacco Use Rates Down Among Youths Ages 12-17 [09/10/04]
UK: More than 2 Million People Are Exposed to Tobacco Smoke in the
Workplace [09/03/04]
New Study: Smoking Is One of the Leading Causes of Most Heart Attacks
Worldwide [08/30/04]
New Study: Cigarette Marketing More Prevalent in Stores Frequented by
Adolescents [08/26/04]
New Study: Smokers Under 40 5 Times More Likely to Suffer Heart
Attacks [08/24/04]
New Study: Ohio Town Shows Sharp Drop in Heart Attacks Following
Smoking Ban [08/19/04]
New Studies: Nicotine Therapy Works Well for Teens; Not As Well for
Women as for Men [08/17/04]
MD Tobacco Control Efforts Pay Off As Cigarette Purchases Decline
[08/16/04]
Ireland: 70% of Population Reports Improvement in Pub Experience
Following Smoking Ban [08/12/04]
New Study: Teens Who Regularly Dine With Their Families Less Likely to
Smoke [08/10/04]
UK: 80% of Population Back Blanket Smoking Ban in the North West
[08/10/04]
New Study Ranks Drug and Tobacco Use By State [08/06/04]
New Report: Cigarette Use Among U.S. High School Students [08/04/04]
Chief Medical Officer Says UK Smoking Ban 'Could Save
Billions' [07/29/04]
ACS Evaluates States' Legislative Efforts to Fight Cancer; 3 of 5
Measures Relate to Smoking [07/27/04]
Australia: New Report Shows Children Bear Cost of Passive Smoking
[07/27/04]
New Study: Kids Viewing 2 or More Hours of TV Daily More Likely to
Become Overweight Smokers [07/23/04]
New Evidence that Passive Smoke Exposure Increases Risk of Heart
Disease and Stroke [07/23/04]
Cigarette Sales Drop in Ireland Following National Smoking Ban
[07/20/04]
New Report: Smoking and Secondhand Smoke Leading Risks to Childrens'
Health [07/13/04]
New Report: Tobacco Deaths on the Rise in Developing Countries
[07/12/04]
New Poll Finds Helena's Voters Support Suspended Smoking Ban
[07/07/04]
Study: Anti-Smoking Ads More Effective If They Show Serious Health
Consequences of Smoking [07/07/04]
Fewer Children Smoke When Parents Make R-Rated Movies Off Limits
[07/06/04]
BMJ: Health Risks of Secondhand Smoke Exposure Even Greater [06/30/04]
New Study: Health Risks of Smoking Greater for African-Americans
[06/29/04]
21,000 West Virginians Quit Smoking in 2003 Following State Cigarette
Tax Increase [06/24/04]
New Report: Secondhand Smoke Tearing Families Apart [06/24/04]
New Study: The Health Benefits of Smoking Bans in All American
Workplaces [06/22/04]
50-Year Tobacco Study Shows Smokers Lose a Decade of Life [06/22/04]
ASH Quoted on Dramatic Teen Smoking Drop [06/18/04]
80% of Voters Oppose Tobacco Buyout Plan [06/17/04]
Secondhand Smoke Found in 94% Latin American Public Places [06/17/04]
Smoking May Raise Risk for Diabetes [06/08/04]
New Evidence that Smoking Causes Impotence, Miscarriages, and
Infertility [06/07/04]
New Study: Women May Not Be More Susceptible to Lung Cancer Than Men
[06/03/04]
New Study: Smoking Bans Motivate Smokers to Quit [06/03/04]|
Air Pollutants in Bars and Restaurants Drop 76% After CT State Smoking
Ban [06/02/04]
New Study: Smoking Alters Saliva to Raise Cancer Risk [06/02/04]
US Govt. Says Smoking Rates Down But Not Enough [05/30/04]
WHO says Tobacco Kills 1 Person Every 6.5 Seconds [05/30/04]
Surgeon General: More Diseases Linked to Smoking [05/28-1]
New Report: Cigarette Smoking Among U.S. Adults in 2002 [05/27/04]
WHO Claims the Poor are the Biggest Victims of the Tobacco Industry
[05/24/04
New Evidence that Teens are Most Vulnerable to Smoking Addiction
[05/21/04]
New Study: Smoke-free Cities Have Lower Indoor Air Pollution
[05/20/04]
Number of Adult Smokers in NYC Fell by 11% from 2002 to 2003
[05/12/04]
Smokers 4 Times As Likely to Develop AMD [05/06/04]
New Study: Smokers' Brains Have Fewer "Thinking Cells" [05/05/04]
Children with Asthma Twice as Likely to Face Year-Round Attacks if
Parents Smoke [05/05/04]
"Bidis" More Deadly Than Regular Cigarettes [05/04/04]
New UK Study Adds More Evidence Against the Dangers of Passive Smoking
[05/04/04]
New Survey: Amercians Want U.S. to Sign the FCTC [05/04/04]
Lung Cancer is Leading Cause of Cancer Deaths in US Women [05/03/04]
NY Indoor Air Has Less Than One-Tenth As Many Harmful Chemicals Since
Smoking Ban Began [04/27/04]
New Study: Smoking Blamed for High Cancer Death Rates in African-
American Men [04/23/04]
Secondhand Smoke Exposure Poses Heart Attack Risk, CDC Warns
[04/23/04]
Health Panel Recommends 10 Nationwide Policy Changes to Curb Tobacco
Use [04/23/04]
Free Nicotine Patch Helps 11,000 New Yorkers Quit Smoking [04/22/04]
Cell Associated with Asthma Linked to ETS Exposure During Infancy
[04/22/04]
New Study: Prenatal Nicotine Exposure Primes Brain for Addiction
[04/20/04]
Women Sexually Abused as Children are More Likely to Smoke [04/15/04]
U.S. Food Service Workers at Greatest Risk of Secondhand Smoke
Exposure [04/14/04]
New Evidence that Women Who Smoke Have Higher Rates of Fatal Breast
Cancer [04/13/04]
New Study: Effects of ETS Exposure on Lungs of Healthy Male
Adolescents [04/13/04]
New Study: Adolescents that Smoke Daily Have Greater Risk of
Committing Suicide [04/07/04]
New Study: Secondhand Smoke Can Slow Wound Healing in Children
[04/07/04]
New Study: Bisexual and Lesbian Girls Are More Likely to Smoke
[04/06/04]
Parents Requesting Non-Smoking Sections Reduce Chances of Children
Becoming Smokers [04/06/04]
New Study: Decreased Prevalence of Heart Attacks during Helena's
Smoking Ban [04/05/04]
New Evidence that Passive Smoking Increases Risk of Death and Heart
Disease [04/05/04]
Tobacco Smoke More Toxic Than Car Fumes [04/01/04]
Smokers Homes More Difficult to Sell [03/30/04]
New Study: Bars and Restaurants Thrive Despite NYC's Smoking Ban
[03/29/04]
Population Strategies to Prevent Smoking [03/26/04]
New Study Will Determine Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Counseling
[03/26/04]
Air Filtration Systems Do Not Effectively Protect Workers from Second-
hand Smoke [03/25/04]
54 % of MSA Settlement Funds to Cover Budget Deficits Instead of
Health Programs 2004 [03/23/04]
New Study: Smokers Lose Mental Faculties 5 Times Faster Than Non-
Smokers [03/22/04]
New Research on the Effects of ETS on Asthma [03/22/04]
Wash. Post Letter to Editor: Subsidizing Tobacco's Global Toll
[03/17/04]
More Evidence that Maternal Smoking Increases Risk of SIDS [03/16/04]
Young Women Least Likely to Quit Smoking [03/15/04]
New Study: Smokers Have Serotonin Deficiency Causing High Stress
Levels [03/15/04]
NY Health Dept. Tests Show Positive Results of Smoking Ban [03/11/04]
New Study: Children Exposed to Harmful Smoking Residue Even When
Smoking Outside [03/09/04]
Hollywood Faces More Fury as the Number of Smoking Scenes in Movies
Continues to Grow [03/08/04]
New Study: Smokers 4 Times as Likely to Suffer from Blindness
[03/05/04]
New Evidence that Second-hand Smoke Harms Pets [03/08/04]
New Study: Smokers 4 Times as Likely to Suffer from Blindness
[03/05/04]
New Study: El Paso Smoking Ban Did Not Cause Bar and Restaurant
Revenue Declines [02/27/04]
New Evidence that Maternal Smoking is Tied to Childrens' Lung Disease
[02/27/04]
Number of Smoking Scenes in Movies Higher Today than in 1950's
[02/17/04]
Nicotine Found in Childrens' Bodies Even if Parents Smoke Outside
[02/12/04]
New Evidence Smoke-Free Dining Does Not Harm Business [02/10/04]
New Evidence that Babies Exposed to ETS have Lower Birth Weights
[01/23/04]
Canada: 100 Babies Die Each Year due to Maternal Smoking [01/14/04]
New Study Says 90% of Heavy Smokers Look to Cigarettes for Emotional
Comfort [01/14/04]
Report: State-Specific Prevalence of Current Cigarette Smoking Among
Adults [01/09/04]
New Evidence that Low-Tar Cigarettes are No Less Hazardous [01/09/04]
85% of MD Tobacco Growers Support Buyout [01/05/04]
Six out of 10 Scots Want Smoking Banned in All Public Places
[01/05/04]
New Study Shows Quitting Smoking Will Save a Bundle of Money
[01/02/04]
New Evidence says NYC Smoking Ban Has Not Hurt Business [12/29/03]
New Report: Teen Smoking Rates Decline, but at Slower Rates [12/19/03]
Study: Boston Smoking Ban Reduces Cancer-Causing Air Pollution by 95%
[12/10/03]
Study: Australian Kids Smoke Less, But Still Too Much [12/08/03]
60% of D.C. Residents Support Smoking Ban [12/03/03]
Study: Women Smokers Risk of Lung Cancer Double that of Men [12/02/03]
U.K.: 8 Million Non-Smokers Exposed to ETS at Work [12/02/03]
Study: The Association Between Cigarette Smoking and Schizophrenia
[11/26/03]
Study: High School Student Smoking Rate Drops [11/24/03]
Study: Smoking During Pregnancy Linked with ADHD [11/21/03]
Study: Fed. Program Helped States Reduce Smoking [11/19/03]
Study: US High School Students Smoking Less[11/14/03]
Study: Alzheimers Disease Linked to Smoking [11/13/03]
Study: Poor Academic Grades Linked to Tobacco Exposure in Students
[11/05/03]
Teen Smoking Rates Decline in Maine [10/29/03]
Study: Smokers Have Higher Risk of Developing Colorectal Polyps
[10/28/03]
Study: Smoking Could Double MS Risk [10/28/03]
France: Lung Cancer Among Women on the Rise [10/24/03]
Poll: Smoking Ban Popular Among New Yorkers [10/23/03]
Poll: Non-Smokers Angered over Colleagues' Smoke Breaks [10/22/03]
ZAGAT Survey Finds Smokefree Air Popular With Diners [10/21/03]
Smoking Down Among VT Youths [10/16/03]
Study: Nursing Students More Likely to Smoke than Medical Students
[10/14/03]
Statistics Show Online Tobacco Purchases Need Self Regulation
[10/08/03]
Study: Genes May Influence Smoking Cessation[10/08/03]
Lung Cancer More Deadly Than Breast Cancer [10/07/03]
Report: State Govts. Failing on Smoking Cessation Efforts for Women
[09/30/03]
Smoking Linked to Memory Problems [09/29/03]
Study: Anti-Smoking Programs Pay Off [09/25/03]
Women's COPD Deaths are on the Rise [09/17/03]
Teen Smokers More Likely to Use Marijuana [09/16/03]
Nicotine Replacement Therapy is Best Quitting Strategy for Heavy
Smokers [09/15/03]
Global Smoking Death Tolls Shift [09/12/03]
Report: Cigarettes Linked to Spleen and Kidney Failure [09/11/03]
Report: Smoking is Largest Contributor to Poor Health[09/05/03]
Report: State by State Spending on Tobacco Control [09/04/03]
Report: Cancer Death Rates Leveling Off [09/04/03]
Study: Women Have More Difficulty Quitting Smoking [09/03/03]
Study: Smokers are Much More Serious About Quitting [09/02/03]
South Korea: Women Smokers Start Habit Out of Curiosity [08/29/03]
Canadian Health Warnings Continue to Make a Difference [08/25/03]
Kids Viewing Movie Smoking Scenes are More Likely to Smoke [08/20/03]
Study: Smoking Causes Premature Death in Men [08/19/03]
Utah's Smoking Rate is the Lowest in the Nation [08/18/03]
Lung Cancer Was Not an Issue Before Smoking [08/13/03]
Study: Hard-Hitting Anti-Smoking Ads Prove Most Effective for Youth
[08/06/03]
Quitting Smoking Can Prevent Wound Infections [08/05/03]
Study: NY Smoke Ban Causes No Economic Harm [07/30/03]
UK Study: Truants More Likely to Smoke [07/30/03]
Teen Smoking Linked to Parental Income and Education Levels [07/22/03]
Study: Smoking in Movies Catalyst for Adolescent Smoking [07/18/03]
Study: Two-Thirds of Young Women Want to Quit Smoking [07/17/03]
Quebec Tobacco Consumption Drops 15 Percent [07/15/03]
Heavy Smoking Doubles Risk of Aggressive Prostate Cancer [07/15/03]
SD Study Supports Smoking Ban [07/10/03]
Study: Low Abstinence Rate After Smoking Cessation Trial [07/09/03]
Smokers Trying to Quit Find Afternoons Worst [07/09/03]
Some Smokers Cut Down Before Quitting [07/07/03]
Study Shows Ignorance of Smoking Hazards [07/04/03]
Smoking May Limit Thinking Ability [07/03/03]
Genes May Affect Ability to Quit Smoking [07/03/03]
Study: Smoking Kills [07/02/03]
Study: Renters Prefer Smoke-Free Buildings [07/02/03]
Teens' Brains May Make Them More Prone to Addiction [06/27/03]
Dentists Target Smoking Dangers [06/25/03]
Study Shows Bars Not Hurt By Smoking Ban [06/20/03]
Smoking Health Facts [06/19/03]
Smoking May Be Linked to Genetics [06/18/03]
Smoking Kills 5000 New Zealanders [06/16/03]
Four Million Smokers Die Annually [06/11/03]
Study Links Movies Smoking Youth Smoking [06/10/03]
Smokers More Likely to Develop Allergies [06/10/03]
Women Benefit More than Men From Quitting Smoking [06/09/03]
Study: Laws Are The Most Effective Way to Decrease Smoking [06/06/03]
70 % Kids Exposed to Smoke in Restaurants [06/04/03]
Early Smoking Leads to Extra Dependency [06/02/03]
Smoking Linked to Poor Adult Memory [05/30/03]
Survey: CA Students Smoking Less [05/29/03]
Study: Passive Smoking Sickens Students [05/28/03]
New Test Shows Nicotine Level [05/20/03]
New Cigarette Warnings Work [05/15/03]
Parents Who Quit Smoking Reduce Odds that Kids Will Smoke [05/08/03]
Cig Sales To Teens in Massachusetts is Up [05/02/03]
Smoking Increases Risk of SARS [04/24/03]
Smoking is Costly to Pennsylvanians [04/24/03]
Smoking Linked to Depression, Suicide [04/22/03]
Smoking Linked To Hair Loss [04/22/03]
CDC Study Says Occasional Smoking is Risky [04/14/03]
Report Predicts 50% Rise in Cancer From Tobacco [04/04/03]
Study Shows Smoking Can Make Babies Behave Badly [04/03/03]
Study Shows Smoking Increases Stroke Risk [03/31/03]
Study: CA Patrons Support Smoke Free Bars [03/28/03]
Study: Nicotine Speeds Up Lung Cancers Growth [03/27/03]
Study Links Smoking To Erectile Dysfunction [03/10/03]
Smoking Linked to Urinary Incontinence [03/07/03]
Study Shows Smoking Bans Not Bad For Business [02/26/03]
Study Shows Tobacco Kills Millions a Year [02/26/03]
Non-Smoking Parents Reduce Child's Smoking Risk [02/24/03]
1 in 10 Youths Smoking Daily in Australia [02/20/03]
Gender Differences in Youth Tobacco Use [02/06/03]
Smoking is Costly to Businesses [01/29/03]
Smoking: Important Risk Factor for SIDS [01/27/03]
Smoking Linked to Depression [01/22/03]
Survey: 6 out of 10 Adults Prefer Smoke-free Bars [01/15/03]
US Government: 10th Report on Carcinogens [01/14/03]
Study: Smoking Responsible for Medical Costs [01/14/03]
Teen Smoking on the Decline [01/10/03]
Smoking, Major Cause of Death in US [01/09/03]
Study: More Would Quit After Smoking Ban in Bars [12/31/02]
Passive Smoke Lowers Child's Vitamin C Levels [12/30/02]
New Research On Nicotine Addiction [12/10/02]
Elderly Anti-Smoking Study [11/22/02]
New Evidence That Cig Smoke Harms Kids [11/20/02]
Many Kids Exposed to Cigarette Smoke [11/14/02]
Tobacco Causes Premature Aging and Disease [11/08/02]
Smoker's Children Are More Likely to Smoke [11/06/02]
Smokers Risk Colorectal Polyps [10/24/02]
Study Shows Cancer and Smoking Link [10/21/02]
Carcinogen Linked to Lung Cancer Mutation[ 10/17/02]
Tobacco Causes Stomach Cancer [10/11/02]
Smokers Blamed for Car Accidents [10/10/02]
Girl Smokers Risk Breast Cancer [10/07/02]
Study Finds Harmful Smoke in Non Smoking Areas [10/02/02]
Study Claims Drop in Teenage Smoking [09/19/02]
Internet Cig. Sales Surge [09/17/02]
Study Shows Cig. Taxes Save Lives [09/16/02]
Firefighters Smoke More Since 9/11 [09/12/02]
Smoking Linked to Ovarian Cancer [09/09/02]
Kids TV Habits Linked To Smoking [09/04/02]
Poor Kids Smoke More [08/30/02]
One Puff Can Addict Kids [08/30/02]
Smoking is the Main Risk Factor for Bladder Cancer [08/27/02]
Smoking During Pregnancy Linked To Kids Asthma [08/26/02]
Smoking? It Could Make Your Child Slow [08/20/02]
ETS Associated With Osteoporosis [08/20/02]
8.5 Million Illegal Cigarettes Seized [08/20/02]
Fetal Exposure to Smoke Increases Asthma Risk [08/19/02]
ETS Increases Asthma Severity [08/14/02]
More Minorities Die of Heart Disease and Cancer [08/14/02]
Smoking is a Major Contributor to Hospital Use [08/13/02]
Smoking Increases Breast Cancer Risk [08/12/02]
Study Examines Smoking and Depression [08/08/02]
ETS Exposure Reduces Infant Birth Weight [08/05/02]
ETS Linked to Early Asthma [08/05/02]
One Cigarette Shortens Lifespan by 11 Min [08/05/02]
Passive Smoking Risks Health [08/02/02]
Pregnant Smokers Have Aggressive Kids [08/02/02]
Lung Disease Rising in Women [08/02/02]
Passive Cig. Smoke Leads to Cat Cancer [07/31/02]
Smoking Moms Increase Autism Risk [07/30/02]
Smoking Linked To Panic Attacks [07/26/02]
Teen Smokers on The Decline [07/18/02]
Avoid Second Hand Smoke For Healthy Heart [07/17/02]
Second Hand Smoke Linked to Impotence [07/15/02]
Smoking Mothers Ruin Child's Fertility [07/12/02]
Study to Determine Health Impact of Passive Smoking [07/12/02]
Autism Linked to Smoking [07/09/02]
UK Lung Cancer Deaths Drop [07/05/02]
Nicotine Water Is a Drug [07/03/02]
Smoking Reduces Chances of Being a Dad [07/03/02]
Adolescents More Realistic on Smoking [06/26/02]
Top Reasons to Quit Smoking [06/25/02]
Vaccines May Prevent Addiction [06/24/02]
Smoking Damages DNA [06/21/02]
Smoking Leads to Psychiatric Disorders [06/18/02]
U.N. Expects Increase in Smoking [06/14/02]
PBS Report on the Impact of Smoking on Minorities [06/11/02]
Quitting Smoking Helps the Elderly [06/04/02]
ETS Costs $56 Million to One County [06/03/02]
Maternal Smoking Linked to Antisocial Behavior [05/30/02]
Tobacco Uses New Advertising Strategies [05/29/02]
Tobacco Use Up After 9/11 [05/28/02]
Tobacco Increases Advertising Spending [05/29/02]
Smoking on the Rise in the US [05/23/02]
Drop in Teen Smoking Explained [05/20/02]
High School Smoking is Down [05/17/02]
CDC Report on High School Smoking [05/17/02]
Smoking Kills Brain Cells [05/15/02]
Study of Smokers Who Can't Quit [05/14/02]
Death Toll From Smoking is Rising [05/10/02]
Cancer Victims Find it Difficult to Quit Smoking [05/06/02]
Smoking's Weight-Control Offset by Heart Attacks [04/30/02]
Study Links Smoking to Baby's Sex [04/22/02]
Every Pack of Cigarettes Sold Costs Nation $7 [04/18/02]
SCDC Report on Smoking Costs [04/12/02]
econd Hand Smoke Dangers [04/10/02]
Smokers Put You At Risk [04/10/02]
Doctors Say: Second Hand Smoking is Smoking [04/08/02]
Smoke Is A Real Harzard For Restaurant Workers [04/04/02]
Mom's Smoking Damages Child [03/29/02]
Smoking Increases Facial Wrinkling [03/28/02]
New Study Details Costs of Smoking [03/28/02
Nonsmokers Do It Better - Without Puffing [03/25/02]
Smoking Can Increase Risk of Blindness [03/25/02]
Hollywood Increasingly Addicted to Smoking [03/25/02]
Smoking to Kill More Than 8,000,000 Annually [03/15/02]
Nicotine is a Perfect Addicting Drug [03/15/02]
Smoking Doubles Risk of Alzheimer [02/15/02]
Study of Florida's Smokefree for Health Initiative [02/15/02]
Passive Smoking Puts Workers At Risk [02/13/02]
Second Hand Smoke Damages Computers [02/13/02]
Smoking Prevalence Among African-Americans [02/12/02]
Lung Disease Impacts Productivity [02/12/02]
Nicotine Dependence and Health Behaviors [02/07/02]
Quitting Is Harder for Blue Collar Workers [02/05/02]
Nicotine Increases Risk of Heart Disease [01/23/02]
Quitting Smokes Helps Post Surgery Recovery [01/16/02]
Study Finds Genes, Smoking Affect Birthweight [01/09/02]
Child Suffers from Smoke in Public Places [01/09/02]
Smoking Linked to New Cancer Risk for Women [01/07/02]
Backache Linked to Smoking [12/31/02]
Smoking Linked to Health Problems [12/28/01]
Passive Smoking in the Work Place [12/27/01]
Smoking Increases Risk of Developing Lupus [12/26/01]
According to Study, Teenagers Smoke Less [12/20/01]
Smoking Increases Risk for Diabetes Patients [12/19/01]
Smoking in Movies Influences Kids to Smoke [12/17/01]
CDC's Ranking of U.S. Smoking Rates [12/14/01]
Lung Cancer Rises Among Australian Women [12/11/01]
Tobacco Will Kill ONE BILLION [12/03/01]
Higher Tobacco Taxes Reduces Maternal Smoking [11/02/01]
Smoking Retards Pregnancy [11/02/01]
State Health Rankings 2001 [10/26/01]
Smoking Linked to Blindness [10/26/01]
Smoking is a Major Factor in Early Heart Attacks [10/25/01]
1 Smoker Dies Every 8 Seconds [10/24/01]
Smoking During Pregnancy Linked to Mental Illness [10/23/01]
Smoking Addiction May Have a Heriditary Root [10/22/01]
Smoking Bad is for Your Bones [10/19/01]
Smoking Linked to Ear Infections [10/18/01]
Smoking Damages Healthy Complexion [10/11/01]
Paternal Smoking Linked to Children's Lung Deficit [10/10/01]
Fewer Teens Start Smoking [10/09/01]
Smoking Increases Surgery's Risks [10/09/01]
New Study Shows Smokers are Less Productive [10/03/01]
Lung Cancer Deaths Increase in Korea [10/01/01]
Women Unaware of Smoking Risks, Study Says [09/28/01]
Second Hand Smoke Causes Asthma [09/27/01]
Why Depressed People Smoke [09/19/01]
Smoking Mothers Triple Chance of Sudden Infant Death [09/17/01]
Quitting Smoking Can Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes [09/17/01]
ETS Exposure Associated With Medical Conditions. [09/13/01]
ETS Exposure Heightens Risk of Asthma for Kids [09/13/01]
Norway: More Women Die From Lung Cancer Than Men [09/10/01]
Smokers at Increased Risk of an Early Grave [08/23/01]
Reducing Smoking Helps Heart [08/22/01]
Tobacco Use Associated With Mental Health Problems[09/16/01]
Smoking Responsible for Many Chinese Deaths [09/16/01]
Over 1/3 of Workers Report Non Smokefree Workplaces [08/10/01]
Study on Enforcement of Tobacco Bans [08/09/01]
Maternal Smoking Linked to Infant Colic [08/07/01]
Gallop Poll on Smoking in Public Places and Bans [08/03/01]
Many Women Not Aware of Smoking Risks [08/02/01]
Women at Greater Risk of Developing Lung Cancer [08/01/01]
Smoking Increases Risk of Colorectal Cancer [07/31/01]
Smoking: Main Cause of Buerger's Disease [07/30/01]
Surgeon General Report on Women and Smoking [07/25/01]
Smoking + Birth Control Pills: Bad For Heart [07/25/01]
New Study: Passive Smoking Damages Heart [07/25/01]
Smoking Triggers Earlier Menopause [07/16/01]
Smoking Doubles Risk of Pancreatic Cancer [07/13/01]
Second Hand Smoke Triples Risk of Lung Cancer [07/12/01]
Smoking Accelerates Pancreatic Cancer [07/11/01]
Even Just One Cigarette is Harmful [07/03/01]
CDC: Tobacco Deaths Overwhelm Other Causes [06/28/01]
Cigars Gain Favor Among Kids [06/27/01]
Smoking and Impotence are Correlated [06/26/01]
WHO Study Predicts World Wide Smoking Rise [06/07/01]
New Cancer Report. Reduction of Tobacco Use is Critical to Prevent
Cancer [06/06/01]
Act of Smoking as Addictive as Nicotine [06/05/01]
Second Hand Smoke Can Kill [05/31/01]
United Nations Releases Study on Women and Smoking [05/30/01]
Smoking Twice As Risky For Women [05/24/01]
Nicotine Candy Mints Can Be Dangerous [05/22/01]
Smoke Exposure Increases Kids' Lead Poisoning [05/22/01]
Smokers More Likely to be Impotent [05/21/01]
Tobacco Is Major Cause of All Cancers [05/18/01]
Smoking Linked to Breast Cancer [05/11/01]
Quitting is Harder For Women [05/04/01]
Smoking and Breast Feeding Linked to SIDS [04/24/01]
Genes Involved in Tobacco Addition [04/24/01]
Canada: Lung Cancer Remains Leading Cause of Cancer Death [04/19/01]
Passive Smoking Lowers Levels of Vitamin C [04/17/01]
Tobacco Kills Women [04/13/01]
Smoking May Increase Risk of Bone Fractures [04/12/01]
Smoking Linked to Teenage Depression [04/11/01]
Easier to Start Smoking than Quitting [04/10/01]
Cigarettes Can Trigger Heart Attack [04/09/01]
Smoking Increases Risk of Bladder Cancer [04/04/01]
Tobacco Will Become the World's #1 Killer [04/02/01]
African Americans, Higher Cigarette Risks [04/02/01]
Quitting Smoking Can Help Crohn's Patients [03/30/01]
Women Smoking Deaths Double [03/29/01]
Nicotine is More Addictive than Heroin [03/28/01]
More Women Die From Smoking [03/28/01]
Filters Don't Work [03/27/01]
Smoking Causes Skin to Wrinkle [03/23/01]
Pregnant Smokers at Greater Risk for Complications [03/19/01]
Biological Proof That ETS Causes Cancer [03/07/01]
Smoking Causes Havoc on Bones and Muscles [03/06/01]
Smoking Associated to Back Pain [03/05/01]
Dieting Teens More Likely To Smoke [03/01/01]
Smoking: #1 Contributor to Lung Cancer [02/28/01]
SMOKERS FIND IT DIFFICULT TO QUIT [12/20/00]
Americans With Mental Illness Twice As likely To Smoke [12/11/00]
Smoking Linked to Colon Cancer [12/06/00]
Nicotine v. Alcohol [12/04/00]
California Approach Reduces Smoking [12/04/00]
Almost 50% of All Cigarettes Smoked by Mentally Ill [11/22/00]
Smoking Hurts Women More [11/17/00]
US Kids Not So Healthy [07/14/00]
Smoking Doubles Back Pain [07/06/00]
ASH: Smoking is Killing Pets [06/19/00]
Smokers' Babies Double Risk for Meningitis [06/12/00]
High School Smoking Up [06/09/00]
Asthma Rates Skyrocket, Tobacco Partially to Blame [04/21/00]
UK: Survey Examines Social Mores - Smoking Up [03/02/00]
CDC Report Shows Teen Smoking Still at Epidemic Rate [01/28/00]
The State of Children - ASH's Scheg Quoted [07/12/99]
Women Face Higher Mortality Rate: Smoking a Factor [01/13/99]
Key to Decreasing Youth Smoking Is to Decrease Smoking in General
[04/09/99]
ETS DOES Cause Cancer - Fed. Govt. [12/3/98]
Pipe Smoking is Very Dangerous [11/17/98]
Women and Lung Cancer-10/27/98
CDC says More Teens Smoking and Underestimating Addictiveness
[10/09/04]
Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
Lung Cancer in Women: A Smoking Epidemic [12/14/98]

Old September 10th 07, 12:08 PM posted to or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
HWOS

On Sep 9, 10:29 pm, JSM wrote: stupidity
On Sep 7, 1:09 pm, -s- wrote:

Sure MEG and coffee too....

A bunch of studys proves nothing !

Ham, bacon and egg, poison lettuce, spinach,
all have been studied it's just a tax cover for the studier.
Still this group of folks have no interest in studies.
Bad cars have been studied too. Now we're going
study you, to see how your asshole and brains have
traded places.

Just smoking tobacco ~

Old September 12th 07, 05:29 PM posted to or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
meg

On Sep 10, 4:08 am, HWOS wrote:
On Sep 9, 10:29 pm, JSM wrote: stupidity On Sep 7, 1:09 pm, -s- wrote:

Sure MEG and coffee too....

A bunch of studys proves nothing !

Ham, bacon and egg, poison lettuce, spinach,
all have been studied it's just a tax cover for the studier.
Still this group of folks have no interest in studies.
Bad cars have been studied too. Now we're going
study you, to see how your asshole and brains have
traded places.

Just smoking tobacco ~

When you have been defeated in the verbal battle, attack the author.

Old September 13th 07, 12:31 AM posted to or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
HWOS

On Sep 12, 12:29 pm, MEG wrote:
On Sep 10, 4:08 am, HWOS wrote:

On Sep 9, 10:29 pm, JSM wrote: stupidity On Sep 7, 1:09 pm, -s- wrote:

Sure MEG and coffee too....

A bunch of studys proves nothing !

Ham, bacon and egg, poison lettuce, spinach,
all have been studied it's just a tax cover for the studier.
Still this group of folks have no interest in studies.
Bad cars have been studied too. Now we're going
study you, to see how your asshole and brains have
traded places.

Just smoking tobacco ~

When you have been defeated in the verbal battle, attack the author.

Your ignorance MEG is a proven tangible.
The more you you show us your stupidity...
Well let's just say , they can see who's the jackass...
If the need proof they can follow the spit trail.

Kill anybody with coffee today?
See anybody die from coffee today?
Howz about some perfume?

Pahauuktouui...
A Lil copenhagen for ya!

Yer filters not gonna work either.
Face it yer an asshole.
HWOS

Old September 14th 07, 04:39 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
Paul Berg

~

A tobacco company agreed to make it clearer, as federal rules require,
that it is paying for commercials opposing an increase in Oregon's
cigarette tax. The tag line on the commercials opposing Measure 50
originally read, "Paid for by Oregonians Against the Blank Check and
Reynolds American Inc." Revised commercials that started airing
Tuesday say they were paid for by Reynolds American and authorized by

Old September 14th 07, 09:05 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
The poster last in PDX in 2003

On Sep 13, 9:39 pm, Paul Berg wrote:
~

A tobacco company agreed to make it clearer, as federal rules require,
that it is paying for commercials opposing an increase in Oregon's
cigarette tax. The tag line on the commercials opposing Measure 50
originally read, "Paid for by Oregonians Against the Blank Check and
Reynolds American Inc." Revised commercials that started airing
Tuesday say they were paid for by Reynolds American and authorized by
Oregonians Against the Blank Check.

~

Raise the tax and they'll smoke cheaper stuff that smells worse and
kills faster. Maybe not even tobacco!

Old September 14th 07, 10:30 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,alt.smokers,misc.kids.health,alt.politics.usa
Shawn Hirn

In article .com,
wrote:

Raise the tax and they'll smoke cheaper stuff that smells worse and
kills faster. Maybe not even tobacco!

Where's your data to support that claim?