sleeping, night nursing, pumping, daycare (long)

Old December 22nd 03, 03:12 AM
zeldabee

Default sleeping, night nursing, pumping, daycare (long)

My son is 15 weeks old (3 months and 2 weeks), and I went back to work
full time when he was 8 weeks old. Except for about 2oz of formula when
he was in the NICU (given against my wishes) he's had nothing but
breastmilk. His weight gain is good, averaging nearly 10oz/week, and he's
grown a lot in length--he's 26 inches long from 20.5 at birth, and is
already in 6-9 month clothes. No problems so far with breastfeeding
itself.

I'm pumping for him for daycare, and am able to keep up with him, but
without a lot to spare. I get maybe an ounce or two more than he eats
most days. I do 4 pumping sessions a day: one when I wake up at 5:30am
(usually 4oz), one at work at about 8:30am (maybe 2oz--I nurse him just
before I leave him) before starting work, then at about 1:00pm on my
lunch hour (5.5-6oz), then again just before I leave at 5:00pm (3-4oz).

I was pumping more often at work, with an extra session at 3:30pm, but
then I'd have to make up that time at the end of the day, which would
mean my son would have to have more milk at daycare, which meant that I'd
have to stay later pumping...and so on. Tail wagging the dog, so I
dropped that session and end up with about the same amount anyway.

We still nurse pretty often at night--every hour and a half to two hours.
We co-sleep and I can usually get back to sleep immediately. He's also
become really efficient, and can "empty" a breast in five minutes. So I
really don't mind nursing him at night, and it seems like the best
strategy to not have to supplement with formula--if he eats a lot at
night, maybe he'll be less hungry at daycare. I encourage this frequent
nursing at night, though I might be able to cut out a feeding or two
without any trauma for him. Whenever we do skip a night feeding I get
engorged and uncomfortable.

The thing is, I'm realizing that I'm stretched pretty thin. Last week
Sprogly had a cold, and I just about fell apart. He's better now, but by
the end of the week I was about to die. I was so close to the edge before
he had the cold that I'd made some major mistakes just due to ongoing
sleep deprivation (one of which I'd posted about in the 3 month roundup
thread). The baby's father can't support us, and it would be catastrophic
if I were to lose my job.

I don't know if I just need encouragement (though I wouldn't turn it
down), or what...I so don't want to have to give him formula, but I don't
know if I'm making too big a deal out of the exclusive breastmilk thing--
*so* many people seem to be giving me this feedback--and running myself
into the ground. I intend to breastfeed him for as long as I can, as long
as he wants to, but I'm afraid if I don't keep encouraging the night
feedings, I won't be able to keep up with the demand during the day
(maybe won't be able to even if I do keep it up), and I'll have to give
him formula (and then my supply will gradually diminish, etc.).

Am I being fanatical? Should I keep going, or ease up?

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old December 22nd 03, 03:34 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

zeldabee wrote:

I'm realizing that I'm stretched pretty thin.

Are you eating enough? I find I need to eat about twice as
much food as I needed while pregnant just to keep from
falling apart.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 22nd 03, 03:38 AM
Shannon G

"zeldabee" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

First, I realize that every woman is different and responds to a pump
differently. Also, each baby is different WRT more (or less) nightime
feedings to make up for more (or less) daytime feedings.

I went back to work with DD (now 13 mos) at 15 weeks and pumped once in the
AM, while DD nursed on the other side, once at 10AM and once at 2PM. I was
able to keep up with her needs and she never has tasted formula.

Have you tried pumping only twice during the day rather than 3 times? You
may find you get more ounces this way. Save that third pumping session when
you can tandem pump/nurse when you get home. I've always been able to pump
more whilst nuring on the other side. I assume you have a good quality pump
(Medela or Ameda) and are drinking plenty of water during the day? Have
you tried any galactagogues? I took Nursing Mother Tincture I purchased
from Kerrysherbals.com (Kerry is my sister :-)) twice per day and that
helped my output by 3-4 ozs. per day.

No, you're not being fanatical. I gather you feel alot how I felt with my
two babies. Formula was not an option I wanted to consider. You're doing a
great job for your DS.

Shannon

Old December 22nd 03, 07:08 PM
zeldabee

Shannon G was all, like:

First, I realize that every woman is different and responds to a pump
differently. Also, each baby is different WRT more (or less) nightime
feedings to make up for more (or less) daytime feedings.

Of course, but I know I can push it one way or the other as far as night
feedings go.

I went back to work with DD (now 13 mos) at 15 weeks and pumped once
in the AM, while DD nursed on the other side, once at 10AM and once
at 2PM.

I've never managed to tandem pump. I'd think Sprogly would be so distracted
by the pump that he wouldn't nurse. When he was smaller and less
distractable, I needed my hands for him.

I was able to keep up with her needs and she never has
tasted formula.

Have you tried pumping only twice during the day rather than 3 times?
You may find you get more ounces this way. Save that third pumping
session when you can tandem pump/nurse when you get home. I've
always been able to pump more whilst nuring on the other side.

I wouldn't last until I got home...it takes me an hour and a half, so that
would make it 1:00pm to 7:00pm--I think my boobies would explode. Stretching
it out the way I have been is already making me uncomfortable, and the
longer I stretch it out, the less I'll get in the long run.

assume you have a good quality pump (Medela or Ameda) and are
drinking plenty of water during the day?

Medela PIS at home, rented Classic at work. Drinking until I'm floating
away.

Have you tried any
galactagogues?

Forgot to mention that--Fenugreek and Domperidone. I don't like instant
oatmeal, but I eat oatmeal cookies.

I took Nursing Mother Tincture I purchased from
Kerrysherbals.com (Kerry is my sister :-)) twice per day and that
helped my output by 3-4 ozs. per day.

Hey, if you swear it works, I'll try it.

No, you're not being fanatical. I gather you feel alot how I felt
with my two babies. Formula was not an option I wanted to consider.
You're doing a great job for your DS.

Thanks, I do appreciate it.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old December 22nd 03, 08:30 PM
She's A Goddess

"zeldabee" wrote in message
. ..

I'm pumping for him for daycare, and am able to keep up with him, but
without a lot to spare. I get maybe an ounce or two more than he eats
most days. I do 4 pumping sessions a day: one when I wake up at 5:30am
(usually 4oz), one at work at about 8:30am (maybe 2oz--I nurse him just
before I leave him) before starting work, then at about 1:00pm on my
lunch hour (5.5-6oz), then again just before I leave at 5:00pm (3-4oz).

I can see how this would run you ragged. If I were you, I think I'd cut out
the 8:30 a.m. pump in favor of something around 10:00 a.m., then do 1:00
p.m. and 3:30 or 4:00 p.m. If this didn't cut it after two or three days
you could revert back but having to pump as soon as you get to work and
right before you leave has got to be adding to the stress. Have you tried
pumping while still getting something done? That really did help me when I
pumped at work - before I knew it the bottle was full. Good luck!

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (27 months) and O. Boy (5 1/2 months)

Old December 22nd 03, 08:42 PM
zeldabee

She's A Goddess was all, like:
"zeldabee" wrote in message
. ..

I'm pumping for him for daycare, and am able to keep up with him, but
without a lot to spare. I get maybe an ounce or two more than he eats
most days. I do 4 pumping sessions a day: one when I wake up at
5:30am (usually 4oz), one at work at about 8:30am (maybe 2oz--I
nurse him just before I leave him) before starting work, then at
about 1:00pm on my lunch hour (5.5-6oz), then again just before I
leave at 5:00pm (3-4oz).

I can see how this would run you ragged. If I were you, I think I'd
cut out the 8:30 a.m. pump in favor of something around 10:00 a.m.,
then do 1:00 p.m. and 3:30 or 4:00 p.m.

A schedule like that would have me leaving work around 7:00pm. My current
schedule is set up precisely to avoid haing to make up time. It takes around
40 minutes to pump, including taking the elevator to a different floor,
finding the key (same person doesn't always have it), pumping, cleaning up.
The only time I use in the middle of the day is my lunch hour, now. 15
minutes to go get my lunch, then eat while I pump. That's when it doesn't
take 20+minutes to access the pumping space, as it did today. (

If this didn't cut it after
two or three days you could revert back but having to pump as soon as
you get to work and right before you leave has got to be adding to
the stress.

The one right before I leave is a problem that way, and I can't drop it, but
the one right before I start could possibly be dropped if the baby
cooperates. If I nurse him both sides when I drop him off instead of just
one side...*and* if he doesn't fall asleep at the breast, as he often does.
The trouble is, of course, that he's been nursing all night and isn't very
hungry. (But if I don't nurse him when I drop him off, he'll need an extra
feeding...)

Have you tried pumping while still getting something
done? That really did help me when I pumped at work - before I knew
it the bottle was full. Good luck!

I can't get work done, if that's what you mean. I can read or play on my
handheld computer, which does make the time pass quicker, but makes no
difference in output.

I am seriously considering trying to pump (for shorter periods more
frequently) in a bathroom stall on my floor, with a manual pump. Not
especially hygenic unless I don't sit down and don't touch anything in the
stall.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old December 22nd 03, 09:09 PM
Anne Rogers

I'm trying to answer several of your replies in one go, so I might miss
things out, but here goes...

You said you didn't think pumping whilst feeding would work as Sprogly
would fiddle. I thought the same, then I tried it, it was a bit tricky
getting in position, but overall it was a sucess.

Best supply booster I've found is evening primrose oil, 1000mg 3 times a
day.

sounds like your work situation is making it difficult to pump, is there
anyone you can talk to there?

I've been pumping occasionally it the toilets occasionally with an Avent
Isis, for me the toilet and sink are in one room, so I put the seat down
then wash my hands, then there is no need to touch anything.

Good Luck

Old December 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
zeldabee

Anne Rogers was all, like:
I'm trying to answer several of your replies in one go, so I might
miss things out, but here goes...

You said you didn't think pumping whilst feeding would work as Sprogly
would fiddle. I thought the same, then I tried it, it was a bit tricky
getting in position, but overall it was a sucess.

I haven't tried it for a while, maybe I will again.

Best supply booster I've found is evening primrose oil, 1000mg 3
times a day.

Oh! I have some of that!

sounds like your work situation is making it difficult to pump, is
there anyone you can talk to there?

I might try going higher up in HR, but it's tricky and I don't know the
political lay of the land.

I've been pumping occasionally it the toilets occasionally with an
Avent Isis, for me the toilet and sink are in one room, so I put the
seat down then wash my hands, then there is no need to touch anything.

I'm going to try with my Isis soon, just to see if it's feasible. Our
bathroom has stalls, but I can suss out a clean one before washing my hands,
or use those evil antibacterial hand wipes. I have a legitimate need for
them, after all.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old December 23rd 03, 10:11 PM
She's A Goddess

"zeldabee" wrote in message
She's A Goddess was all, like:

I can see how this would run you ragged. If I were you, I think I'd
cut out the 8:30 a.m. pump in favor of something around 10:00 a.m.,
then do 1:00 p.m. and 3:30 or 4:00 p.m.

A schedule like that would have me leaving work around 7:00pm. My current
schedule is set up precisely to avoid haing to make up time. It takes

around
40 minutes to pump, including taking the elevator to a different floor,
finding the key (same person doesn't always have it), pumping, cleaning

up.
The only time I use in the middle of the day is my lunch hour, now. 15
minutes to go get my lunch, then eat while I pump. That's when it doesn't
take 20+minutes to access the pumping space, as it did today. (

Sorry if my suggestion seemed insensitive. I guess what I had that was
different was a totally flexible workplace (and a conference room to pump in
ten feet from my desk). I just shortened my lunch to pump at the off times.

The one right before I leave is a problem that way, and I can't drop it,

but
the one right before I start could possibly be dropped if the baby
cooperates. If I nurse him both sides when I drop him off instead of just
one side...*and* if he doesn't fall asleep at the breast, as he often

does.
The trouble is, of course, that he's been nursing all night and isn't very
hungry. (But if I don't nurse him when I drop him off, he'll need an extra
feeding...)

How much time does dropping him off and picking him up eat out of your day?
Is it possible that dad can do those trips to help you feel less harried?

I can't get work done, if that's what you mean. I can read or play on my
handheld computer, which does make the time pass quicker, but makes no
difference in output.

Sorry to hear that, it can be a nice side benefit.

I am seriously considering trying to pump (for shorter periods more
frequently) in a bathroom stall on my floor, with a manual pump. Not
especially hygenic unless I don't sit down and don't touch anything in the
stall.

I don't know that this will help with output, but if you think its worth a
try I'd say go for the antibacterial handstuff and give it a try.

Old December 24th 03, 04:00 PM
zeldabee

She's A Goddess was all, like:
"zeldabee" wrote in message
She's A Goddess was all, like:

I can see how this would run you ragged. If I were you, I think I'd
cut out the 8:30 a.m. pump in favor of something around 10:00 a.m.,
then do 1:00 p.m. and 3:30 or 4:00 p.m.

A schedule like that would have me leaving work around 7:00pm. [...]

Sorry if my suggestion seemed insensitive. I guess what I had that
was different was a totally flexible workplace (and a conference room
to pump in ten feet from my desk). I just shortened my lunch to pump
at the off times.

Not at all. Many people on a couple of listserves have offered similar
suggestions, because they're familiar with more...reasonable work
situations...As discussed in another thread, my employer is looking good by
providing me with the space to pump, never mind that it's inconvenient to
the point where *they're* losing productivity, mainly because my boss is
squicked out by the whole issue.

The one right before I leave is a problem that way, and I can't drop
it, but the one right before I start could possibly be dropped if
the baby cooperates. If I nurse him both sides when I drop him off
instead of just one side...*and* if he doesn't fall asleep at the
breast, as he often does. The trouble is, of course, that he's been
nursing all night and isn't very hungry. (But if I don't nurse him
when I drop him off, he'll need an extra feeding...)

How much time does dropping him off and picking him up eat out of
your day? Is it possible that dad can do those trips to help you feel
less harried?

We've done that once, and it did help...but there always seems to be a
reason that he can't do it. This is changing, though, mostly because I'm
insisting more. His schedule is being cut back, since it's the off season in
his industry. But anyway, that's a whole issue in and of itself.

I can't get work done, if that's what you mean. I can read or play
on my handheld computer, which does make the time pass quicker, but
makes no difference in output.

Sorry to hear that, it can be a nice side benefit.

My handsfree bustier is my friend. ) It's the only thing that makes it
bearable.

I am seriously considering trying to pump (for shorter periods more
frequently) in a bathroom stall on my floor, with a manual pump. Not
especially hygenic unless I don't sit down and don't touch anything
in the stall.

I don't know that this will help with output, but if you think its
worth a try I'd say go for the antibacterial handstuff and give it a
try.

I wished I'd done it yesterday. I had a busy day and was feeling
uncomfortably full though I had hours to go until time to go upstairs and
pump. If I'd had the Isis I could have ducked into the loo with it for 10
minutes and no one would have been the wiser.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/