Which foods can cause diaper rash?

Old February 3rd 04, 10:49 PM
Jen

Default Which foods can cause diaper rash?

Hello everybody!
I have been researching diaper rash on misc.kids.breastfeeding and on
other places on the net. I am a bit confused which foods should be
avoided. To start from the beginning: My little one is breastfed and
he has a constant diaper rash. We use both disposables and cloth and
there doesn't seem to be a difference. I can keep the dieaper rash at
bay by applying a heavy duty zinc ointment every time I change him.
Needless to say I change him often. As I said: The rash usually
disappears and stays at bay when I apply the ointment, but when I
leave the stuff off, he will get a rash after about two diapers.
So I figured it is the stuff I eat and I was researching acidic foods.
But there seems to be disagreement as to what foods are considered as
acidic. Some only act acidic in the stomach, some will turn your urin
acidic...I read that orange juice will actually turn your urin
alkaline, but here on misc.kids. breastfeeding there seems to be the
agreement that orange juice can cause rashes....so it is about which
foods will turn your breastmilk acidic, right? and those seem to be
the food that are acidic already in your mouth....more or less, as
tomatoes seem to belong to the no-no list, even though they aren't
overly acidic. What about meat products? They seem to be considered as
acidity causing....I am one of those people whose blodsugar goes
haywire when eating too much carbos (even unrefinded), so I do eat a
lot of meat and cheese. Of course I balance it out by eating lots of
veggies and salads too. But should I cut back on the meat and cheese?
Does anybody have a list of foods that can cause diaper rash? And does
anyone know why the stuff circulating around on the web contradicts
itself sometimes?
Any input appreciated.
Jen

Old February 3rd 04, 11:36 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Sometimes recurring diaper rash is caused not by foods, but by an
infection (yeast or fungus). We used a combination of Lotrimin (OTC
ointment) and ADC ointment following ... use of a blow dryer on low heat
to get the bottom truly dry.

Some babies DO react to foods their moms eat and get diaper rash as a
result. However, each baby is an individual and won't necessarily react
badly to the same thing as the baby next door. The most common problem
foods are the common allergens. For babies these a

milk protein
eggs
wheat
soy

But the odds are that the foods you eat will make no difference.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old February 3rd 04, 11:37 PM
Phoebe Roberts, EA

Jen wrote:
My little one is breastfed and
he has a constant diaper rash.

Where is the rash? In skin folds, in a bullseye around the anus,
somewhere else? Is it raised, flat, rough (sandpapery), smooth, ragged
margins, well-defined margins?

And does
anyone know why the stuff circulating around on the web contradicts
itself sometimes?

Your Baby May Vary.

My guess with no details to go on is a yeast rash, which would clear up
with OTC cream (but nothing else). Post more details, and we may be
able to be more helpful.

Phoebe

Old February 4th 04, 01:51 PM
Nancy P

"Jen" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody have a list of foods that can cause diaper rash? And does

anyone know why the stuff circulating around on the web contradicts
itself sometimes?
Any input appreciated.
Jen

Nothing I ever ate seemed to give my DD diaper rash. When she was eating,
strawberries have given it to her (so she stopped getting them). But she
handles other acidic foods (tomato sauce) just fine, so I may try strawberry
again. Have you visited your pediatrician? It sounds like your baby may
have a yeast infection.

Nancy

Old February 4th 04, 04:34 PM
Sue

Jen wrote in message
Hello everybody!
I have been researching diaper rash on misc.kids.breastfeeding and on
other places on the net. I am a bit confused which foods should be
avoided.

Typically, you shouldn't have to avoid anything while breastfeeding, unless
there seems to be huge problem and there would be other symptoms present
(persistent crankiness, eczema, extreme gas, etc..)

While everyone is giving you a list of what made their kids have diaper
rash, you need to remember that it might not be the same for your little
one. A persistent rash that you are having could very well indeed be a yeast
rash and other treatments would be called for. Fwiw, nothing I ate gave my
kids rashes. Medications did for my oldest daughter and once they were able
to drink juice, apple juice would give them rashes, so I stopped letting
them have it. So without having to exclude a lot of things in your diet
(which may not even be the cause) you might want to take him to the doctor
and make sure that it isn't something else.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 4th 04, 09:40 PM
Jen

Hello everybody and thanks for your input. I am now compiling a list
of stuff that cased rash with other babes. More about my baby and his
rash:
The rash is mostly around his anus (nearly always) and on the top of
his tush. it is usually bright angry red and sometimes there are
little bumps. The area is usually well defined. I do not think it is a
yest infection, as it is never in the greases and I do not eat sugar
(which I read promotes yest infections). I know that this doesn't mean
too much. Plus, it does go away and I can keep it in check with rash
ointment, even though I use some European heavy duty stuff that has
the consistency of tar :-)
Was at the pediatrician yesterday and he looked at it and couldn't
find anything unusual. Well, of course not, as I had smothered it with
ointment. Today, after using only vaseline a few times (That European
stuff is expensive and hard to get), I have the red ring around the
anus again plus a few bumps on his "cheeks". Not too bad. He doesn't
seem too bothered, but I want to know what causes it.
Oh, I forgot...I blow dry him every time I change him, did it from the
very beginning, when he didn't have a rash yet. But he liked the
warmth and the sound :-)
Had my last orange juice yesterday and my last chocolate bar today.
The house is purged from potentially irritating stuff, as far as I
know it. If it doesn't get better soon, I will start to eliminate
foodgroups like milk, eggs etc.
Another question: If he is allergic against, let's say wheat, will
this continue his whole life or will it pass?
Thanks again.
Jen
Old February 4th 04, 10:05 PM
Sue

How about an allergy to the diapers you are using or the wipes?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Jen wrote in message
om...
[...]

diaper brands and diaper rash Sara General 4 March 16th 04 12:38 PM
diaper rash Diane Pregnancy 10 January 16th 04 11:08 PM
diaper rash Diane Breastfeeding 0 January 14th 04 06:34 AM
Diaper rash from hell..... jojo General 8 November 13th 03 03:36 PM