Am I feeding right?

Old February 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Jen

Default Am I feeding right?

My dd is turning to 9 months next week. I started solid on her when she
turned 6 months, and start with rice cereal. She loves it very much even
now. However, I start feeding her with meat when she turned to 8 months,
started with Turkey. She seemed to be ok; however, this week, I start
feeding her chicken. I steam the chicken thigh and use the foodmill to
grind it and mix with some veggie as well as baby cereal. After couple
spoonful, she keeps her mouth shout, refuse to take anymore. However, she
is still hungry 'cause when I try to feed her yogurt, she eats like
crazy.Does anyone have this kind of experience about introducing meat? What
is the better way to do that?

Furthermore, dd is on solid 3 regular meals (10am, 1pm, 6:30pm) and a snack
(cheese, bread, or yogurt) around 4pm. I only nurse her in the early
morning around 7am and before bed around 8pm. Am I feeding her too less? I
have heard that breastmilk is the main nutrition for baby before 1.
However, I try to nurse her after solid, she refused to take any milk. Am I
feeding her too much on solid? Should I rein on the solid of each milk in
order to increase her milk intake? I am worried about she may not have
enough nutrition intake.

Please advice.
Old February 28th 04, 02:04 AM
Emily

Jen wrote:

[...]

It sounds to me like she doesn't like chicken. I'd say, stop
offering it for a while, and maybe try again later. (It's possible
that she's allergic to it, and it makes her mouth feel funny.)

It also sounds to me like you might be giving too much solids
and not enough breastmilk. Maybe nurse her before at least one
of the solid meals?

I'm not an expert in any of this, though. Those are just my
personal reactions.

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
#2 EDD 7/19/04
Old February 28th 04, 03:51 AM
Jen

Emily wrote in

Jen wrote:

[...]

Thanks Emily. I was initially nurse her before solid in the beginning;
however, I have read some books told me after starting the 2nd meals of
the day, I should try solid before nursing. But then, she seems no
interest on the breast after solid. Well.. a month ago, I nurse her
during afternoon snack; however, she just suck 1-2 (very short, not even
a minute) then stop. So that I give her cheese, yogurt or some toast to
her 'cause I am afraid she will be very hungry before dinner (6:30pm) So
I just keep the nursing in the early morning and before bed. It's been
for a while already, so my milk supply's gone down (I guess it might not
be come back even I try to feed her more). So what should I do? I am
worried now.
Old February 28th 04, 09:07 AM
KC

I offer my dd milk first still before meals and she is 9 months old
too. My dd does eat alot of solids even though I bf her first.

KC

Old February 28th 04, 05:30 PM
Emily

Jen wrote:

Thanks Emily. I was initially nurse her before solid in the beginning;
however, I have read some books told me after starting the 2nd meals of
the day, I should try solid before nursing. But then, she seems no
interest on the breast after solid. Well.. a month ago, I nurse her
during afternoon snack; however, she just suck 1-2 (very short, not even
a minute) then stop. So that I give her cheese, yogurt or some toast to
her 'cause I am afraid she will be very hungry before dinner (6:30pm) So
I just keep the nursing in the early morning and before bed. It's been
for a while already, so my milk supply's gone down (I guess it might not
be come back even I try to feed her more). So what should I do? I am
worried now.

Hi Jen,

Other people here know more than I do, but I think your milk
works in a supply & demand fashion at this point. I think if
you offer often, your supply will come back up. If it seems that
she really doesn't want to bother until there's more milk, you
could try pumping at that time every day. Then there might
be enough to hold her interest. There are also foods you can
eat that help increase supply. Oatmeal is one.

Good luck!

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
#2 EDD 7/19/04
Old March 1st 04, 08:25 AM
HollyLewis

I was initially nurse her before solid in the beginning;
however, I have read some books told me after starting the 2nd meals of
the day, I should try solid before nursing. But then, she seems no
interest on the breast after solid.

You nurse after solids if you're trying to wean. A lot of books assume that
you want the baby weaned at 1 year. If that's not a correct assumption in your
case (good for you!) then you should continue to nurse your baby *before*
offering solid foods. Or, if she's got a pretty regular schedule, alternate
nursing sessions with solids. (Like, offer her breakfast, lunch and dinner but
nurse her in the early morning, midmorning, midafternoon, and at bedtime
instead of giving her cheese or yogurt for snacks.) I would also suggest that
fruit might make a better regular snack -- both because it may have more of the
nutrients she's missing (though you don't describe what she eats for her meals,
so she may get enough fruits and veggies that way), and because it's less
filling, so she might be willing to nurse more.

If you nurse her more frequently, your milk supply will build back up as
needed. Don't worry about that at all.

As for the chicken, I agree that it sounds as if she just didn't like it. You
can try preparing it different ways; if she can eat cheese and toast, she
doesn't need her meat ground up into mush, mixed with cereal and spoon-fed.
Cook it the same way *you* would eat it, and just cut it into very small pieces
for her to pick up with her fingers.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 1st 04, 05:23 PM
javalearner

Jen wrote in message 1...
[...]

my baby boy is also breastfeeding baby.i offer him first meal and then
brestfeed and he takes it because he needs milk after eating.i think
you are giving him too much heavy meal that's why she is not taking
milk. if u give him little less and that type of food which make her
thirsty after having her meal then she will take it.that's what i do.
i gave him 4 times breastfeed and1 full bowl of cereal in breakfast at
10 am and bf at 12 noon.1 cup yogurt 2pm,bf 4pm,vegetables and
meat(mix)at 6pm,bf 8pm,and little furit orsomething else at 10pm and
again bf at bed.i fixed his routine for every 2 hrs.because after two
hrs baby should hungry. give her little and bf her more two times or
pump ur milk and give her with cereal.
Old March 1st 04, 05:33 PM
nina

"javalearner" wrote in message
om...
Jen wrote in message

1...
[...]

The amounts you give him sound like enough.
a full bowl of cereal, how much is that in cups?

Old March 1st 04, 10:53 PM
Jen

(HollyLewis) wrote in
:

[...]

Thank you all for advice. I guess I should try to bf again before solid.
If I use the alternate nursing sessions, it sounds that I have to feed
her quite often...maybe every two hrs?

The week before, she has cereal, veggie, fruit and some fish in lunch and
dinner. However, she doesn't like to eat "baby food" any more now. Well..
she might take 1-2 spoonful in the beginning and that's it. She seems she
is interested in whatever in our bowl; however, I don't want to give
whatever in my bowl to her, I don't want to give any salt or oil to her
yet. Then i try to make some finger food for her, like green bean,
broccoli, avocado. In addition, I give her 60ml formula. But still, she
doesn't really able to use her fingers to feed herself with those finger
food and she may just eat a bit with my assistance. And she only finished
20ml formula.
The only thing she is very interested in is yogurt. But I don't think I
should just give her yogurt. 'cause it might not have enough nutrition.
She is interested in noodle and rice, but still I think it is not good
enough. Any suggestion that I can make and she will be interested in?

Thanks again. =)
Old March 1st 04, 11:56 PM
HollyLewis

If I use the alternate nursing sessions, it sounds that I have to feed
her quite often...maybe every two hrs?

That depends on how often she's hungry. :-) Yes, most older babies and
toddlers do eat *something* about every 2-3 hours.

Since the issue here is that your DD may not be nursing *enough* (as opposed to
the many babies her age who demand to be breastfed rather more often than their
mothers would prefer!), I'd say aim to breastfeed about 4 times a day, and give
her 2-3 solid meals.

She seems she
is interested in whatever in our bowl; however, I don't want to give
whatever in my bowl to her, I don't want to give any salt or oil to her
yet.

Well, it's a good idea to avoid giving her too much salt, but not all oil is
bad. It wouldn't hurt *you* to cut back on salt and added fats, and it would
make it easier if you could just feed your baby the same things you fix for
yourself. :-)

Then i try to make some finger food for her, like green bean,
broccoli, avocado. In addition, I give her 60ml formula. But still, she
doesn't really able to use her fingers to feed herself with those finger
food and she may just eat a bit with my assistance. And she only finished
20ml formula.
The only thing she is very interested in is yogurt. But I don't think I
should just give her yogurt. 'cause it might not have enough nutrition.
She is interested in noodle and rice, but still I think it is not good
enough. Any suggestion that I can make and she will be interested in?

Thanks again. =)

Why are you giving her formula? Assuming you're willing to continue
breastfeeding, that's the first thing to eliminate from her diet in favor of
breastmilk.

Finger foods are fine, and don't worry if it seems as if she's not eating very
much. Remember that it *is* best for her to eat small amounts frequently, and
that a full portion size for a tiny baby is a lot smaller than an adult's
portion size -- and most adults eat more at one sitting than they really should
too! So three green beans and a baby fistful of rice is probably a perfectly
adequate lunch for her, at least some days. :-) And there's nothing wrong
with noodles and rice, as long as she eats other things too!

Since she likes yogurt, try adding berries or other fruit to it for a little
extra nutritional punch. And since she does like yogurt and cheese, don't
worry too much about meats. Iron-fortified cereals would probably be a good
idea, but she'll get plenty of protein and fats from breastmilk, yogurt and
cheese.

When my DS was that age, we had a lot of success with very chunky soups. He
could eat most of the meat and veggies in it with his fingers, but we could
also spoon-feed some of it.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04