3 day nursing strike - advice needed

Old March 18th 04, 03:31 AM
Cathy

Default 3 day nursing strike - advice needed

Hi everyone, 14 month old DD has been off colour the last 3 days - turns
out she has a chest infection poor thing (only symptoms were being 'off
colour' and a raised temp). Anyway, she is off most things orally, except
water. Today, with the start of antibiotics, she is almost back to her
bubbly self, and has started demanding food (only very small amounts) - but
won't have anything to do with nursing. She never actually (even when well)
demands 'milkies' - I ask if she wants it, and she climbs on to our nursing
chair! I am offering heaps today, but still no interest. I'm trying to be
very low key, as I don't want to scare her off. I am hoping that she will
take the breast after her bath this evening when she is drowsy, but if she
doesn't, does anyone have any advice as to how I can get her back on? I'm
just a wee bit concerned for myself (doesn't that sound selfish) as I am
prone to plugged ducts, and can never clear them by myself. I am pumping
just to relieve engorgement, just in case she has decided to wean herself
suddenly. I know 3 days isn't much, but it seems like such long time, and
I so miss our cuddly nursing sessions.

Thanks for any advice,
Cathy

Old March 18th 04, 03:33 PM
Mary W.

Cathy wrote:

[...]

DD did the same thing about that age. I just offered as often as possible
and frequently during the night when she stirred. She probably went 2 days
with no nursing and another 3 or 4 with one or two sessions. I had resigned
myself to her weaning when all of a sudden she picked up again- I think
it was when she was really over the cold. She nursed until 26 months.

I don't have any real advice but just wanted to share our experience.

Mary

Old March 18th 04, 05:16 PM
New York Jen

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Cathy,

So sorry you're going through this. My son had a nursing strike due to an
ear infection when he was 9 months old. It was very difficult - I think
mostly for me. We did a lot of skin to skin contact, which was recommended.
I also offered quite often but never forced the boob. I tried to be patient
and not get emotional. He finally latched back on after 3 full days of not
nursing.

I don't know about an older child having a nursing strike. I know that the
literature, etc. says that a child under 1 year will not often wean
themselves, but not sure how that changes once the child is over a year old.

Good luck, hope this helped at all.

- Jen
Momma to Laszlo Cooper (2-6-02) and Lily Parker (3-13-04)

Old March 18th 04, 10:19 PM
Cathy

Mary W. wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Hi everyone, 14 month old DD has been off colour the last 3 days -
turns out she has a chest infection poor thing (only symptoms were
being 'off colour' and a raised temp). Anyway, she is off most
things orally, except water.

DD did the same thing about that age. I just offered as often as
possible
and frequently during the night when she stirred. She probably went 2
days with no nursing and another 3 or 4 with one or two sessions. I
had resigned myself to her weaning when all of a sudden she picked up
again- I think
it was when she was really over the cold. She nursed until 26 months.

I don't have any real advice but just wanted to share our experience.

Thanks Mary - I am hoping that that will happen for us too. She didn't
nurse after her bath, and flatly refused when she woke up at 5.30am - but
she wanted a bottle of water. I am going around the house topless so she
can see the 'boobies' and we are having lots of cuddles, but nothing so far.
I has been nearly 4 days now. Sigh.

Cathy

Old March 18th 04, 10:22 PM
Cathy

New York Jen wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jen. Am I correct in thinking that Laszlo self-weaned at 13 months?
If so, what did you do then? DD won't take a bottle or cup of EBM, cow's
milk or (sorry to mention it!) formula (she thought she was being poisoned
the few times I offered!).

If DD does wean now, I have to look on the bright side and think that I may
get AF back, so we can TTC 2.

And congrats to you on the birth of Lily - it doesn't seem very long since
you announced you were pregnant. Where has the time gone?!

Cathy

Old March 19th 04, 12:10 AM
hobbes

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

DD just recently got over a full month's nursing strike, so I can relate.
The difference is that she was 9-10 months old, and I *knew* she wasn't
done. With a 14 month old, I would start to wonder if she would just decide
to quit. Most kids won't just wean cold turkey, but if something prompted a
strike, and then she just got stubborn or made up her mind to quit, I could
see it possibly happening.

BUT she might just need some time to distance herself from whatever prompted
the strike and she might go back whole-hog. What got me through was DD's
willingness to nurse while sleeping. And since I was pretty desperate to not
end our BF relationship before a year, I was persistant in holding her
(walking her/rocking her) until she'd fall asleep and then nursing. And
she'd nurse during the night. And one day (day 27), she just started up like
it had never happened. I don't know what your normal napping/bedtime routine
is, but you could try to get her to nurse asleep . . . but that depends on
how much you want to keep things going.

I'd probably still pump to maintain supply and see if she comes around. You
can always use the BM in her cereal or sippy cup (if you can get her to take
it), or mix it into other foods. The main thing I learned was to stay calm
(which was really difficult for me), offer frequently but without pressure,
and have as much cuddling and skin-to-skin contact as possible.

I know it seems like it's been a long time, but I'd try to hold out a bit
longer, just in case she comes back to it. Keep us posted.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (3 years, 1 month) & Arwen (11 months)

Old March 19th 04, 03:33 AM
Cathy

hobbes wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, there is hope. DD has always loved her milkies, and took it eagerly,
and always gave me a beautiful smile when she popped off. So I'll keep
trying - nursing 3 times a day to nothing seems a bit drastic. But she a
stubborn wee thing, so that doesn't help.

BUT she might just need some time to distance herself from whatever
prompted the strike and she might go back whole-hog. What got me
through was DD's willingness to nurse while sleeping. And since I was
pretty desperate to not end our BF relationship before a year, I was
persistant in holding her (walking her/rocking her) until she'd fall
asleep and then nursing. And she'd nurse during the night. And one
day (day 27), she just started up like it had never happened. I don't
know what your normal napping/bedtime routine is, but you could try
to get her to nurse asleep . . . but that depends on how much you
want to keep things going.

We used to nurse to sleep, but that hasn't happened in a long time - not my
choice. And she has started waking in the night, and I've been offering
(I've only just night weaned her!), but she's been refusing even then. I
sat on the floor and hand expressed in to a spoon, and gave her that, and
she drank it. She also looked interested in 'booby' but still refused when
offered. But she isn't too% yet, and is still on anitbiotics (and will be
for another 5 days), so that won't be helping. And she just won't fall
asleep while I'm holding her - she thinks if Mummy is there, it is play
time. I tried last night but no, she had to go to sleep on her own.
Nighttime routine is (or was) bath, breast, book, bed, although the book and
the breast tended to be the same time - she often wouldn't nurse without
holding her book.

I'd probably still pump to maintain supply and see if she comes
around. You can always use the BM in her cereal or sippy cup (if you
can get her to take it), or mix it into other foods. The main thing I
learned was to stay calm (which was really difficult for me), offer
frequently but without pressure, and have as much cuddling and
skin-to-skin contact as possible.

I know it seems like it's been a long time, but I'd try to hold out a
bit longer, just in case she comes back to it. Keep us posted.

Thanks heaps for all your advice. I will keep pumping - , but I can only
get about 1 oz in half an hour. One side has always been worse than the
other, and last night I couldn't get anything, even though it felt lumpy and
full. (DH to the rescue!). And at the moment she is eating DH's breakfast,
and he wasn't too keen on having breast milk on it, but I'll get her back to
her own brekky tomorrow, and but bm with it. I'll also try the spoon thing,
as she is fascinated by spoons. Prior to Tuesday she was a very cuddly
girl, and would come over and give me cuddles when asked to, and also
kisses. But she hasn't done that since then - so I'm hoping that if she
starts feeling better then the cuddles might return, and hopefully the
nursing.

I'll let you know how things turn out.
Cathy

Old March 19th 04, 12:24 PM
Cheryl S.

"Cathy" wrote in message
But she isn't too% yet, and is still on anitbiotics (and will be
for another 5 days), so that won't be helping.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the A/B are upsetting her stomach
and if she's nauseous that could make nursing unpleasant somehow? I'm
sure the breastmilk would help her tummy feel better but maybe something
about the actual act of nursing aggravates it. At least if that is the
reason, she should hopefully start nursing again in a few days.

And she just won't fall
asleep while I'm holding her - she thinks if Mummy is there, it is

play
time. I tried last night but no, she had to go to sleep on her own.

This is actually a good thing, really! I wouldn't mess with that.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 6 months

Old March 19th 04, 12:52 PM
New York Jen

"Cathy" wrote in message
New York Jen wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks!

Yep, he self weaned at 13 months, but it was VERY gradual. He was only
nursing about 4 times a week at that point, so I knew it was coming soon. I
think when it happens suddenly due to an illness, you are MUCH more likely
to be able to continue your nursing relationship.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Jen

Old March 19th 04, 01:43 PM
hobbes

"Cathy" wrote in message

[...]

Ah. I wonder if the antibiotics are bothering her stomach and therefore her
appetite. DD's strike started with an ear infection and I am convinced that
the antibiotics aggravated the situation. Plus, they might confuse what is
causing the stomach upset--not blaming the medicine, but rather the breast?
It's frustrating when you feel like BM would help their stomachs settle (not
to mention the comfort factor), but they won't take it.

I don't know how much you want to mess with her nighttime/sleeping routine,
since she's 14 months and doing so well. If you're desperate to nurse, you
could still try to nurse when she wakes up or as she's going to sleep, but I
don't know. What you describe is really nice . . .

I do hope she comes around for you. One other thing I just thought of (which
again might not work, as your DD is quite a bit older than mine) was that
when she did start to nurse again, I learned quickly that I had to offer
before she got very hungry. I'd catch her when she was in a good mood and
offer then . . . if I'd wait too long, she was much more likely to get upset
and frustrated. Just a thought.