Milk stops flowing at 5 months? Will it come back?

Old April 1st 05, 04:21 AM
Zen Cohen

Default Milk stops flowing at 5 months? Will it come back?

Hi, my wife has been breastfeeding our little one for about five months with
no problems with her supply, but today her milk stopped flowing (actually,
it's just a trickle). We don't see any major changes that would have caused
this. Might the milk start flowing again? Is there anything we should do
to see that it does? Thanks in advance.

Old April 1st 05, 04:27 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Zen Cohen wrote:

Hi, my wife has been breastfeeding our little one for about five months with
no problems with her supply, but today her milk stopped flowing (actually,
it's just a trickle). We don't see any major changes that would have caused
this. Might the milk start flowing again? Is there anything we should do
to see that it does? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean "stopped flowing"? It is common for there to
be less leaking, less engorgement, etc., but that doesn't mean that
the milk supply has been compromised in any way. Usually, the baby
is just as efficient as ever at getting the milk out, and manages
to get plenty of milk. Do you have any evidence that the baby isn't
getting enough milk?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 1st 05, 04:56 AM
Zen Cohen

wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:21:06 GMT, in misc.kids.pregnancy "Zen Cohen"
wrote:

Hi, my wife has been breastfeeding our little one for about five months
with
no problems with her supply, but today her milk stopped flowing (actually,
it's just a trickle). We don't see any major changes that would have
caused
this. Might the milk start flowing again? Is there anything we should do
to see that it does? Thanks in advance.

She might be about to have her period. If that is the case her milk flow
will
return to normal after her period starts. Just keep nursing that baby and
the
milk should not stop.

That might be it. Thanks to you and Ericka for your quick responses.

Old April 1st 05, 03:12 PM
L.A.

"Zen Cohen" wrote in message .. .
Hi, my wife has been breastfeeding our little one for about five months with
no problems with her supply, but today her milk stopped flowing (actually,
it's just a trickle). We don't see any major changes that would have caused
this. Might the milk start flowing again? Is there anything we should do
to see that it does? Thanks in advance.

Hi...

Unless the baby is showing signs that he/she isn't getting enough milk
(e.g. fussing with hunger even after a feed, rooting for the breast
continuously, dehydration, losing or not gaining weight) I wouldn't
worry about it. Just because the amount of milk she's producing isn't
obvious to you, doesn't mean the baby isn't getting enough. Good
luck.

L.A.
Old April 3rd 05, 06:12 AM
Melanie

Once the body has regulated how much baby needs there won't necessarily
be dripping/leaking any more. Your wife's body now knows how much baby
needs. When milk first comes in it's abundant...later on the body sees
how much is really needed. That's why the engorgement goes away too.

If baby appears to be getting enough (no signs of dehydration and right
amount of wet diapers) everything's fine! You can also listen to baby's
swallowing when she's feeding.

Melanie