Organic milk / hormone free milk

Old December 12th 07, 04:06 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Organic milk / hormone free milk

I buy organic milk because I don't like the idea of hormone-fed cows.
However now I see in the stores that some of the regular "non-organic"
milk marked as "no hormones". Does anyone know what the difference is
between these two categories?

We don't use other organic foods; just milk.

Thanks.
Old December 12th 07, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

I think another difference is antibiotic use.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old December 12th 07, 11:09 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

wrote in

oups.com:

I buy organic milk because I don't like the idea of
hormone-fed cows. However now I see in the stores that some
of the regular "non-organic" milk marked as "no hormones".
Does anyone know what the difference is between these two
categories?

in order to be labelled 'organic, the cows must have been born
to mothers who were fed certified organic feed, & they must be
fed certified organic feed exclusively. they should not be
receiving growth hormones or antibiotics (if a cow needs
antibiotics for an illness her milk is not allowed to be mixed
with the other cows in the bulk tanks until 2 weeks after the
end of the antibiotic treatment).
in theory, organic milk cows must also be given free access
to grass pasture. in practice, Horizon Organics (the largest
"organic" milk producer in the US) keep their milkers in a
confinement barn, in the desert, with no outside access or
fresh grass... but because they are run by an agribuisiness
with lobbyists & all, they apparently get to thumb their noses
at true organic standards.

We don't use other organic foods; just milk.

why just milk? organically grown produce is widely available
& priced on par with imported, treated with who-knows-what-
chemicals-banned-in-the-US produce.
and if you aren't vegetarian, your meat is a hell of a lot
worse as far as hormones & antibiotics than your milk is! not
to mention the saline & chemicals injected into it to keep it
"shelf-stable" for a month...
lee
Old December 13th 07, 05:11 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Dec 12, 4:09 pm, enigma wrote:
wrote
oups.com:

[...]

We are vegetarian. I have two daughters and I don't like to give them
the hormone -fed-cows' milk. I haven't read much about the subject but
figured organic milk is the way to go.
Thanks for your reply.
Old December 13th 07, 07:37 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

WE THINK about the overindulgence and gift-giving excess every holiday
season, yet we can't help ourselves: There's just too much joy in
presenting a present to someone special at this time of the year.
With a focus on environmental responsibility and global good will, we
gathered gift suggestions that might nudge us to do a small part. Some
are eco-friendly and organic while others help empower a struggling
community or raise funds for a charity.

Buy Organic Babies ( free postage UK ) The perfect CHRISTMAS GIFT
http://www.americanvistas.com/christmas_shopping.html

Merry Christmas
AmericanVistas.com

On Dec 13, 9:11 am, wrote:
On Dec 12, 4:09 pm, enigma wrote:

wrote
oups.com:

[...]

Thanks for your reply.- Hide quoted text -

Old December 13th 07, 02:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Dec 12, 5:09 pm, enigma wrote:

snip

why just milk? organically grown produce is widely available
& priced on par with imported, treated with who-knows-what-
chemicals-banned-in-the-US produce.
and if you aren't vegetarian, your meat is a hell of a lot
worse as far as hormones & antibiotics than your milk is! not
to mention the saline & chemicals injected into it to keep it
"shelf-stable" for a month...
lee

With all these alleged problems, life expectancy in the U.S. is now
about 78 http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htm and has been
rising over the years . I have never seen a convincing study showing
that organic food is healthier. I think the organic food movement
fulfills needs that are mostly psychological.

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic" label, but I
do wonder when my kids should start drinking skim (fat-free) milk like
their parents, rather than whole milk. Right now the two boys (2 and
4yo) are a bit skinny, so we are continuing with whole milk.
Old December 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 05:53:24 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky
wrote:

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic" label, but I
do wonder when my kids should start drinking skim (fat-free) milk like
their parents, rather than whole milk. Right now the two boys (2 and
4yo) are a bit skinny, so we are continuing with whole milk.

Children need more fat than adults at least until they are 2 or 3, as
I understand it.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old December 13th 07, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

regarding whole milk... It turns out that the fat is where the hormones
hang out. I read an interesting article - I wish I could remember where
- that compared hormone levels in children who drink milk from
"traditional" cows (my terminology) with those who drink milk from
"modern" cows. Traditional cows are defined to be those who are milked
only after producing a calf, and then stop being milked when their calf
weans, and then are milked again when they have another calf. Modern
cows are those who have one calf and then are milked continuously
thereafter, and are the norm on modern American "factory" farms.

Anyway, the kids who drank whole milk from modern cows had much higher
hormone levels (I think they were measuring estrogen) than kids in other
groups. The study was a preliminary one and was conducted on children
in, perhaps Tibet? The researcher involved was very eager to return to
conduct further studies to get at what was really going on, since many
variables were NOT controlled for in the preliminary one.

If you want to look the article up, I'd guess I read it in either The
New Yorker or else the New York Times Sunday magazine. It was
interesting.

Old December 13th 07, 03:42 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

wrote:

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic" label, but I
do wonder when my kids should start drinking skim (fat-free) milk like
their parents, rather than whole milk. Right now the two boys (2 and
4yo) are a bit skinny, so we are continuing with whole milk.

Children need more fat than adults at least until they are 2 or 3, as
I understand it.

UK guidelines a
Not cows milk until age 1 year
Full fat until age 2 years
Can use semiskinned at 2 years
Can use skimmed milk at 5 years.

Recommended semiskinned from age 5years (rather than full fat) unless there
are health/weight issues (either way).

Debbie