toddler hates cow's milk

Old February 17th 06, 12:44 AM posted to misc.kids

Default toddler hates cow's milk

my 14 month old toddler hates cow's milk? is there something we can mix
with milk to make it taste better?
i know she just hates the taste..if i add a little sugar..sher will
drink but i donot want to add direct sugar?
is there any thing for toddlers to drink with milk?
tia.

Old February 17th 06, 12:50 AM posted to misc.kids

In article . com,
"Mommy Mommy" wrote:

my 14 month old toddler hates cow's milk? is there something we can mix
with milk to make it taste better?
i know she just hates the taste..if i add a little sugar..sher will
drink but i donot want to add direct sugar?
is there any thing for toddlers to drink with milk?
tia.

Why do you want her to drink milk?

Frankly, if she doesn't like it, I think my own tendancy would be to
give her water to drink rather trying to "dress up" the milk. I
certainly wouldn't be adding sugar or any artificial sweeteners to it.

Old February 17th 06, 01:19 AM posted to misc.kids

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Mommy Mommy" wrote:
my 14 month old toddler hates cow's milk? is there something we can mix
with milk to make it taste better?
i know she just hates the taste..if i add a little sugar..sher will
drink but i donot want to add direct sugar?
is there any thing for toddlers to drink with milk?

Why do you want her to drink milk?

Frankly, if she doesn't like it, I think my own tendancy would be to
give her water to drink rather trying to "dress up" the milk. I
certainly wouldn't be adding sugar or any artificial sweeteners to it.

I agree. Cow's milk isn't a necessity for toddlers, although I think they're
probably better off nutritionally at this age if they're either still
nursing or taking formula if they won't drink milk or a milk substitute like
soy milk that provides similar nutritional value. If necessary, though, they
can get sufficient calcium from a single serving of calcium-fortified orange
juice and some cheese or yogurt during the day.

Neither of my older children likes milk; they'll take it on cereal, but they
don't eat cereal often, and they NEVER drank it, even at 14 months. My
youngest likes milk, but he doesn't drink it on a daily basis.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old February 17th 06, 02:51 AM posted to misc.kids

Mommy Mommy wrote:
my 14 month old toddler hates cow's milk? is there something we can mix
with milk to make it taste better?
i know she just hates the taste..if i add a little sugar..sher will
drink but i donot want to add direct sugar?
is there any thing for toddlers to drink with milk?
tia.

Try soymilk, rice milk, or almond milk. Look for the fortified ones
that have the same amount of calcium, etc. as cow milk. I have found
vanilla in any of the nut milks to taste about the best. There are
many other ways for your child to get calcium if he/she does not like
milk. There are far too many selections of calcium rich food/drinks to
focus on milk. Plus, the more of a "deal" you make it; the more
she/he'll not like it.

Old February 17th 06, 03:14 PM posted to misc.kids

Mommy Mommy wrote:
my 14 month old toddler hates cow's milk? is there something we can
mix with milk to make it taste better?
i know she just hates the taste..if i add a little sugar..sher will
drink but i donot want to add direct sugar?
is there any thing for toddlers to drink with milk?
tia.

It might be just a matter of 'keep offering it'. My oldest didn't take to
milk. I did add chocolate. I mixed 1/2 chocolate milk and 1/2 white milk.
I just can't get all that worked up about a little chocolate/sugar myself
but I know others disagree. ;-) They don't drink a whole lot, probably not
even what is recommended. I think it was the fact that I just kept offering
it, and never made a big deal of it, that got him started. I gave him a
glass at least once a day. For the first few months he didn't drink more
then a sip but eventually he started drinking a glass a day.

I do view milk as an important part of a nutritional diet for my kids,
especially my oldest. He does not eat other dairy like yogurt or cheese,
doesn't like orange juice, and would never eat enough broccoli to get enough
calcium :-) He might go for a gallon of ice cream though, lol. He does eat
cereal so gets milk then and now my youngest has gone on a bit of a milk
strike. He doesn't eat cereal much but he does like cheese and yogurt so
gets some calcium there.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99