Toddler wants only milk

Old June 1st 07, 04:21 AM posted to misc.kids
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

Default Toddler wants only milk

Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

We occasionally use a sippy-cup but she's not a big fan.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

Old June 1st 07, 05:00 AM posted to misc.kids
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

On May 31, 11:21 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

We occasionally use a sippy-cup but she's not a big fan.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

I just realized she did actually have proper breakfast as well today
so it's not like two out of three meals are milk, but it's still bad.

Old June 1st 07, 12:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

It's always a tricky judgment call. Some kids
will just go through a little phase and then they feel
all better, so you might as well avoid the grief and
just indulge them. Other kids will spiral from bad to
worse, even adding more objectionable behaviors, and
you'll kick yourself later if you let the process get
started. Sometimes a good idea is to identify *why*
she's doing this one thing (almost certainly to get
your attention) and figure out a more acceptable way
to give her what she needs without indulging an
inappropriate expression of her needs, if that makes
sense.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 1st 07, 03:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

One thing that I had to do with my low in weight for height toddler at about
this age was start giving milk only after the meal, because if I gave it to
her earlier, she'd fill up on it and eat nothing else. I also stopped giving
milk except with meals and snacks, and gave water during the day when she
asked for a drink. It may be worth trying here, as well.

Old June 1st 07, 10:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

On May 31, 8:21 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

I wouldn't let this go on for too long. There are a fair number of
kids that age who will happily fill up on drinks at the expense of
eating on a long-term basis. And too much milk, in particular, can
set toddlers up for (sometimes quite severe) iron-deficiency anemia.

It would be a good thing to get rid of the bottles, but it's probably
not the time to go too hard-core on stopping it. I wouldn't let her
drink too much milk though -- the goal is 12-16 oz/day. If it helps
you can water it down with water to strech it out and give her more
bottles if it makes your life that much easier.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, almost 4 years old

Old June 2nd 07, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids

wrote:
[...]

Watering down the milk seems like a good idea - but wouldn't that
still fill her up, so that she wouldn't want to eat real food
afterwards? We've been giving her a 9-oz bottle first thing in the
morning and same thing last thing at night. In addition, she has
lately been asking for a third bottle of 9 oz at the expense of the
evening meal.

Old June 2nd 07, 05:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Watering down the milk seems like a good idea - but wouldn't that
still fill her up, so that she wouldn't want to eat real food
afterwards? We've been giving her a 9-oz bottle first thing in the
morning and same thing last thing at night. In addition, she has
lately been asking for a third bottle of 9 oz at the expense of the
evening meal.

I think that's really only a problem for babies where every drop that goes
into their tiny tummies must be full of calories, plus their kidney's can't
cope with it. Toddlers on the other hand do need to drink water, if some of
that is hidden in their milk, they will likely cut down drinks at other
times. It's likely to be a bit confusing for them at first, they won't feel
quite the same way when they finish a bottle, they may not be hungry, but
they will be hungry sooner, so make sure solid food is available, you could
even try offering some kind of snack along with the milk to teach the
concept of snack and drink.

Cheers

Anne

Old June 2nd 07, 12:32 PM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues[_3_]

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've been giving her a 9-oz bottle first thing in the
morning and same thing last thing at night. In addition, she has
lately been asking for a third bottle of 9 oz at the expense of the
evening meal.

What's wrong with just saying no???

Old June 2nd 07, 10:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Emma

On May 31, 9:21 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

We occasionally use a sippy-cup but she's not a big fan.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

It seems that she wants the bottle because of the baby, right? Not
just because she LOVES MILK. With my 15 month old, we've just switched
him to water bottles only (a stepping stone, because of dental hygiene
and nutrition), before taking the bottle away completely, so you could
try that. I think going cold turkey and telling her no more bottles
after the major change of a new sibling could be traumatic, but I
would probably do it anyway and try to give her some special love and
attention in other ways. She may be hungry (for food) but she will NOT
STARVE, she'll eat when she gets hungry, trust me. It may take 2 or 3
days of tantrums from a hungry and grouchy toddler, but in the end,
you will both be the better for it.

There will of course be tantrums, but don't pay attention to her
unless she's being good. TANTRUMS ONLY CONTINUE IF THEY'RE EFFECTIVE
FOR THE CHILD. Try saying, "stay in your room (or time out or
whatever) until you calm down, then you can come and cuddle with mom
(or dad)." I mean, I don't know her, but these are the things that
I've found to be effective with my little ones.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Old June 3rd 07, 12:03 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues[_3_]

"Emma" wrote in message
oups.com...
There will of course be tantrums, but don't pay attention to her
unless she's being good. TANTRUMS ONLY CONTINUE IF THEY'RE EFFECTIVE
FOR THE CHILD.

Agreed, and the OP is digging a deeper hole by giving in to the child's
insisting and tantrums by giving the milky bottles.
I'd rather have a few days of screaming than months of bottle-giving.