Progesterone supplementing (longish..)

Old August 10th 04, 08:30 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Progesterone supplementing (longish..)

I think I mentioned elsewhere the decision has been made in favour of the
progesterone supplements over Clomid. It was made for me, as the biopsy
came back normal, so Clomid wouldn't do much for me. The nurse told me to
ask for progesterone suppositories, and if they weren't available, for
prometrium. That name rung a bell, and I found out that prometrium is the
same thing, but smaller and far less messy (if used as suppository), so I
decided to go with that. They are great! No mess, and very easy to 'use'

This cycle I had quite erratic temps. I think the weather is to blame, as
the nights are suddenly much colder and my temps are more like my winter
schedule than like last summer's. For some reason I fluctuate more with
the weather than with hormone levels: since starting the prometrium I
haven't noticed any additional rise in temps. If I'm not mistaken, the
progesterone should do that, right? I'm now beginning to wonder if I dated
my peak day correctly (CM dried up completely after 3 very wet days, but
temps were all over the place)... Or could I be one of those rare women
who are less sensitive to progesterone changes?? They do a bloodtest later
this week to see how I respond, I guess I'll know then.

I'm now in the midst of my 2ww, AF due next wednesday (may be a bit later
with the progesterone). I had a strong feeling I was preggers last week,
but it disappeared with all my worrying. Ah well, with all the symptoms
that come with the progesterone, I'm not having any illusions...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old August 10th 04, 09:55 PM
Jamie Clark

Ilse,
Has anyone told you that you likely won't get your period as long as you are
using the progesterone support? I mean SOME women do, but most don't. As
you probably know, your period is triggered by the sudden drop in
progesterone, among other things, so by supplementing with progesterone, you
often won't have that drop, and consequently won't get your period until 3-6
days AFTER you stop taking the progesterone. In general, what you'll want
to do while using progesterone support is take an HPT on about cd16. That
should be far enough for a clear positive if you are pregnant, and a clear
definitive negative if you aren't. Then you stop progesterone, and your
period should arrive within a week. Add to that the "fake" progesterone
pregnancy symptoms...blech. I mean, progesterone can be a lifesaver,
literally, but it's also a pain in the tuchus, what with all the mess,
hassle, and mind games!

Whoever said ttc was easy was full of ****!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

Old August 10th 04, 10:03 PM
A&G&K

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ilse, I'm hoping that everything goes well for you with the progesterone.
I'm so pleased that you are "normal".
I'm really due next Wednesday (but I've officially gone with the u/s date of
next Thursday because it buys me an extra day before the "I" word is
mentioned). I hope we are both very pleasantly surprised

hugs to you
Amanda

Old August 10th 04, 10:22 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:55:11 -0700, Jamie Clark wrote:

Has anyone told you that you likely won't get your period as long as you are
using the progesterone support? I mean SOME women do, but most don't.

Hm, no, I wasn't aware of that. From what I read I concluded that it
could delay my period, but not stop it completely. But come to think
of it, it would make sense what you say. Why else would it work to
maintain pregnancy... Perhaps I confused it with the wild yam I took,
which AFAIK does not prevent your period from arriving. I'm having a
progesterone level bloodtest done this friday, I will make sure to ask
about it. Thanks!

So far the symptoms are mild, some breast tenderness and slight
obstipation, but that's it. Just today I noticed that I seem to have a
slight case of placenta brain too I'm just trying to find out if this
will agree with me. If not, we'll continue without. After all, nothing is
"wrong" with me..

Hehe, I didn't even notice you wrote cd16, instead of 16dpo

Old August 10th 04, 10:24 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:03:20 +1000, A&G&K wrote:

Ilse, I'm hoping that everything goes well for you with the progesterone.
I'm so pleased that you are "normal".

LOL! Well, at least in that department...

I'm really due next Wednesday (but I've officially gone with the u/s
date of next Thursday because it buys me an extra day before the "I"
word is mentioned). I hope we are both very pleasantly surprised

Good luck with all the last bits Amanda! I hope it all goes smooth!

Old August 10th 04, 11:54 PM
Jamie Clark

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Progesterone support is very common during infertility treatment and IVF
cycles, although often in higher doses. They usually have us go in for a
beta or take an hpt before stopping progesterone, "just in case."

I'm always surprised at how many people are prescribed progesterone, but
aren't told a few important facts: 1. It may delay or suppress your period
until you stop taking it for that cycle, and 2. Progesterone side affects
mimic early pregnancy symptoms. I can't tell you how many people I know
take progesterone one month, then get really excited when their period is
delayed, their temps are still up, they are feeling slightly nauseous, and
their boobs are sore. I think it's just plain mean, especially to a woman
ttc!

I think if you know what to expect, progesterone isn't a terrible way to
go -- ESPECIALLY if you have a need for it. I mean, heck, it beats the
alternative, right? I'd do 6 years of progesterone support if it would
guarantee me a pregnancy that would last past 8 weeks!

Old August 11th 04, 02:56 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Ilse Witch wrote:

I'm now in the midst of my 2ww, AF due next wednesday (may be a bit later
with the progesterone). I had a strong feeling I was preggers last week,
but it disappeared with all my worrying. Ah well, with all the symptoms
that come with the progesterone, I'm not having any illusions...

I really wish you the best of luck. (heck I wish I could *help*, but I
have no clue about any of the stuff that you ask about)
Old August 11th 04, 02:35 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:54:39 -0700, Jamie Clark wrote:

I'm always surprised at how many people are prescribed progesterone, but
aren't told a few important facts

I was aware of both, except that in higher dosage it could completely
suppress AF. AFAIK, the dosage I take is not high enough to stop AF, but
it may be delayed by several days.

But you are right: the information given to me on both options (Clomid and
progesterone) was minimal. At the time the RE explained them to us, she
asked if we had any questions, but then I didn't. I could have asked more,
she could have explained more...

Old August 11th 04, 02:36 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:56:40 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

I really wish you the best of luck. (heck I wish I could *help*, but I
have no clue about any of the stuff that you ask about)

Thanks Vicky. Be glad you have no clue!