xpost: coping w/becoming a SAHM?

Old July 30th 04, 11:39 AM
Maria Danielle Darst

Default xpost: coping w/becoming a SAHM?

"toypup" wrote in message
snip, snip, snip

There's a theater in our area with free movies for the summer at 10am on
Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You could check here to see if they have them in
your area http://www.regalcinemas.com/family_film/ Be aware, the theater

in
my area that has it is not listed in that website, so you may try just
checking with your local chain to see if they do it.

I took the kids to one of those this past Wednesday....they were showing
Muppets Take Manhattan.....they lasted about an hour or so then we had to
leave.

Thanks for the good suggestions.....I live in San Antonio, TX....there's
plenty to do around here...just having to try to weasel out the free/super
cheap stuff right now.

Thank you,

Maria
Kelly 2/19/00
Kyle 7/9/01

Old July 30th 04, 12:48 PM
Leigh Menconi

Default Going back to school, xpost: coping w/becoming a SAHM?

Our state (NC) just passed a law that school can't start any earlier than
August 25th starting next year, I think (too late for this year). The
tourism industry here (beach and mountain communities) claimed they were
losing lots of money because of the shortened summer season.

This year it starts August 10th, it seems to have been creeping back more
and more as they add more teacher workdays (I think there are 20+ in our
district). I think the 8/25 minimum starting date only affects
"traditional calendar" schools, not the year-round.

Leigh

"Scott" wrote in message
LFortier wrote:
Sophie wrote:

I couldn't find this post to comment on it so I'm glad you brought it
back up.

I wonder though - it's still July - what school is starting this week?

Not July but my daughter goes back in one week from today.

I heard yesterday that teachers go back next Monday, 8/2, at the
elementary school. We have sixth grade open house (!) on the 3rd, and
school starts on the 10th.

I am so not ready.

Lesley

Here in Madison (WI), we go back on 1 September, which is too
late, IMO (School doesn't end 'til the end of the 2nd week
in June -- way too late! Nothing ever gets done after
Memorial Day in school).

The school year here made a lot more sense before the State
Legislature decided it knew better than local communities
when to start classes, and instituted a state-wide ban on
classes starting before Labor Day (which Madison is getting
around this year, when Labor Day is the 6th).

I was shocked to see at the local Sentry a notice that their
end-of-Summer Bratfest was in only 37 days! Waah! Summer
just started and now it's almost over

Scott DD 11 and DS 8

Old July 30th 04, 04:51 PM
Sophie

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
news
Our state (NC) just passed a law that school can't start any earlier than
August 25th starting next year, I think (too late for this year). The
tourism industry here (beach and mountain communities) claimed they were
losing lots of money because of the shortened summer season.

Ahh they did pass that? I wondered if they would or not. Ugh what a pain.

Old July 30th 04, 06:30 PM
Scott

Sophie wrote:
"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
news
Our state (NC) just passed a law that school can't start any earlier than
August 25th starting next year, I think (too late for this year). The
tourism industry here (beach and mountain communities) claimed they were
losing lots of money because of the shortened summer season.

Ahh they did pass that? I wondered if they would or not. Ugh what a pain.

Yes, this is the reason behind Wisconsin's law as well -- which
was passed about 4 years ago. Thankfully, for the first couple
years, there were old teacher contracts that spelled out the school
year, but that's not happening now.

Of course, since the bill's passage, the Dells (which was more
than anywhere else the business community behind it) has expanded
to a much more year-round operation, what with all the indoor
waterparks, and they've imported workers from overseas. Sorta
like reverse-offshoring So I'm not sure the 'we can't get
summertime help' argument hold as much water now as it did.

Scott

Old July 30th 04, 09:01 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Scott wrote:

Sophie wrote:
[...]

Growing up in Wisconsin and Minnesota, many of us relied on summer jobs
that were Memorial Day to Labor day -- and, way back when I was a kid,
that's when school was out. From my perspective, it wasn't so much
about losing trade because people weren't coming, as about needing the
teens to be available to work during the summer -- and, as a teen,
needing the summer job so I could save up for college.

I LIKED having June, July and August off -- I wish my kids had that.
Instead, both here (California) and in Massachusetts, they've gone well
into June -- one year until July 1 -- and started as early as
mid-August.

Old July 30th 04, 09:57 PM
Sue

"Circe" wrote in message
We start August 23rd, which seems very early to me. I think by the time
that date arrives, I will be ready, though!

Our school starts Aug 28. They got out on June 13 this year. I really wish
they could start after Labor Day. It seems so silly to start before the
holiday. I'm not sure if I am ready or not. I have a middle schooler
starting and I am not looking forward to that.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 31st 04, 02:45 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

But now school starts next week, and I'm
already bored. I don't really have any friends who don't work, at least
during the school year, and while there are playgroups and activities for
mommys with babies, there aren't exactly playgroups for fetuses! So, what
kind of things can I do to keep myself from going insane during these next
few months, when I'm supposed to be resting, avoiding stress, and preparing
for the baby?

Well, you could prepare for the baby :-) Head off to prenatal and
breastfeeding classes, buy whatever you need to, and do any little projects
you want to around the house. Read a few good child care books to get an idea
of what a baby is like, because when your baby develops a strange cough it is
good to be able to think, "Wait a minute, isn't that croup?" rather than
reading a whole chapter on illnesses in the middle of the night. In the last
trimester, start bulk cooking and freezing meals

You could also declutter your house (plug for flylady.net!) and put your
photos in albums, those sorts of things.

What other interests do you have? IME churches and other community
organisations always have jobs that need doing, even if you will have to
restrict yourself to sedentary/low-stress options.

Then there's music -- listening to it, playing it, going to concerts, etc. Do
you compose? How about writing a lullaby for your baby? Or a symphony? The
sky is the limit with creative pursuits. I don't sew, but i know plenty of
people who have done embroidery or cross-stitch for their baby's room.
Creative writing, painting -- indulge yourself.

But do start loooking for a peer group. Your antenatal class is one place to
meet people. How about women from the support group when you lost Brian?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

Old July 31st 04, 02:45 PM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Maria Danielle Darst wrote:
Quite honestly, I don't feel like getting out of the house. It seems to be a
massive effort to even get out of bed in the mornings.

You've probably been told already, but this is a warning sign for
clinical depression. You may not be able to afford professional
evaluation for this right now (I don't know your situation wiht health
insurance), but getting out and getting some exercise can be a big
help in cases of mild depression.

When I lost my job, pretty much all of the extras got cut out, like the gym
membership. So basically if I'm going to get them out, then it needs to be
something we can do for free. The kids aren't used to sitting around the
house either, they are ususally with other kids or at the very least running
errands with the babysitter.

Going to parks and libraries is free. Taking long walks in the
neighborhood to look at plants or architecture is free.
Getting a bike or bike + trailer-bike is not free, but is pretty cheap
and can save a lot if you get rid of a car in the process.
A gym is not needed for moderate exercise---a pair of comfortable
shoes is all you need for walking, and a bike is a lot cheaper than a
membership in a gym.

Don't stay in bed or sit in front of a TV feeling miserable, but stay active.
Doing anything is better than doing nothing.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.