who pays?

Old January 2nd 05, 03:39 AM
dadslawyer

Default who pays?

CHILD SUPPORT STATISTICS

The U.S. Census Bureau has reported that fathers with joint custody pay
90.2% of all child support ordered; fathers with limited visitation rights
pay 79.1%; and 44.5% of those fathers with NO visitation rights still
financially support their children.

30% of custodial mothers not receiving child support have never asked for or
do not want child support.

25% of custodial mothers do not receive child support because the father is
unable to pay.

20 % of custodial mothers not receiving child support have made other
financial arrangements with the father.

11% of custodial mothers not receiving child support do not have a child
support order.

Of ten million custodial mothers ONLY 7% (one out of fourteen) do not
receive child support because of a deadbeat dad.

The above is an excerpt from http://www.lowersupport.com

Old January 2nd 05, 08:04 AM
Beverly

I truly believe that many NCPs have an inability to pay... or at least
an inability to pay the court ordered amount; however, who/what
determines whether the inability to pay (anything) is an absolute?

My ex, in our 1998 modification proceeding, testified that he had not
sent $7.50 (half of a medical co-pay) within the 30 day time frame
because he "could not afford it." During the time he "could not
afford it", he was buying a house. That just doesn't make sense to
me.

Then, during various episodes of his unemployment since, I knew it was
illogical to expect him to pay as though he were working. I offered
to take half the burden of his support and only ask for half of what
the court ordered during his unemployment. Instead, he chose to send
nothing. I ran some numbers and discovered that his unemployment
compensation should have been about the same as his take-home pay
(after wage withholding), so not paying child support afforded him the
ability to go on as normal. The entire burden of his unemployment was
passed off to me.

Yet, during his period of unemployment when he could not send child
support to be used for our children's basic necessities, he was able
to afford not one, but four concert tickets to give to our son... one
of which was wasted because my son was unable to find a fourth (his
youth pastor, brother, and he went). During his period of
unemployment, my ex managed to afford to buy a $42 book for himself in
which our son's name appeared (I bought one for my son, but could not
afford one for myself) for academic achievement. This, during a time
when he could afford to send NOTHING in the way of child support.
These are just two examples of many.

Does his unemployment mean he was in the 25% who are unable to pay?
What portion of that 25% could afford to pay SOMETHING, just not the
entire amount?

Old January 2nd 05, 05:33 PM
Lanark

"Beverly" wrote in

I truly believe that many NCPs have an inability to pay... or at least
an inability to pay the court ordered amount; however, who/what
determines whether the inability to pay (anything) is an absolute?

What is absolute is jail time for Fathers that can't meet the demanded CS
rates of the court!
As been said before, CS have nothing to do with the actual needs of the
child.

Perhaps if the rates were reasonable, Fathers could afford to pay support
regardless if on unemployment or fully employed.
It's the staggering extortionate CS rates that is creating the resentment.

Old January 13th 05, 01:02 AM
Indyguy1

Beverly wrote:

[...]

And still yet what portion say they can't afford to pay and base that on doing
what they want for themselves prior to paying?

This is *so* what our nephew does. He was just complaining about how he just
can't afford the CS for his teenaged daughter, right after he and his wife got
back with their two toddler sons from a week at Disney World.

Mrs Indyguy