Baby Names

Old September 1st 03, 10:11 AM
Linz

Default Baby Names

"Jacqui" wrote in message
Linz wibbled
Jacqui wrote:

Hmmm, since I know both surnames I might be able to work out the
initials, at least... and we know it's not Little Mouse, right?

*grin*
Nor Tiny Mouse - although apparently he's not tiny any more!

No, more like Great Heffalump Mouse. :-)

That's the thing about babies - they do grow, if you feed them!

Old September 2nd 03, 08:55 AM
Elly

Wow, you guys are so organized :-)

We still haven't decided about baby's name. As we chose not to find out the
baby's gender before its' birth, we have to come up with 2 names, one for a
boy and another for a girl.
We started writing down the names we liked since we started TTC-ing (and
some names we liked prior to pregnancy, or even prior to me meeting DH), and
the list was getting huge! 4 pages of girls' names and 2 pages of boys'
names. We do have some names we *think* we will use (we're like 85% sure)
but then we often change our minds.
The problem with me is that I like them all and can't seem to eliminate any.
So I finally gave up two days ago, printed out the list and gave it to DH to
veto some of the names he doesn't like. I hope we shorten the list by Friday
:-)

My mother already took a peak at the list and chose her favourites - 2 names
for boys and 1 name for a girl; if DH chooses one of the boys' names from my
mother's *short list*, I think I will be the one who will veto it because I
just realized it's not flowing well together with our last name - the other
boy's name she likes is fine. The girl's name she chose is fine as well.
What is funny is that my mother always told me that if I had been a boy, I'd
be named Aaron, and she also liked Dea for a girl. I added those names to
the list because I quite like them myself, but now she doesn't like them
anymore!!

Elly
35 weeks + 1 day - cca 33 days to go!
EDD October 6th

"annafine" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
How did you pick out the name to give your baby?

Was the name picked out before you got pregnant, after you found out
you were pregnant, after you found out the baby's gender or after the
baby was born?

EDD #1 October 18, 2003...my husband and I had narrowed our list to
about 3 names each before we ever conceived our child. After the
first u/s we tried narrowing it even more, but then went to family and
friends for "votes" and opinions.

We had decided on baby names by the time of the second u/s which was
at about 18 weeks.

Our baby girl is going to be Akira Violet. However, if the u/s tech
is wrong and we end up with a boy, his name is going to be Adam
Benjamin.

Since both our names begin with the letter "A" we wanted our baby's
name to also. We chose middle names based on grandparents' first
names. Baby girl will have my Mom's Mom's first name as her middle
name. Baby boy will have my husband's Mom's Dad's first name as his
middle name.

The way we came up with Akira...it is the most common MALE name in
Japan (according to my DH) and he wanted it for a boy...EVERYONE we
know thought it was a nice name, but thought it to be "a girl's name"
so we decided to use it for our daughter.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:02 AM
Elly

"Carol Ann" ha scritto nel messaggio
snip
I also wanted to use my last name, but think it sounds strange.
What do you think?

Rachel Kaplan Kelley?

I don't think it sounds strange at all, and I like the name *Rachel* (BTW,
I'm one of them :-)

I decided not to use my last name and to go straight ahead with DH's last
name (I now have both last names on my documents), although DH keeps telling
me my last name is beautiful and he wants the child to have it. But my last
name is really long (9 letters) and his last name is short (5 letters), and
I don't want the child to have such a long last name. If it's a girl and she
decides to get married and add her husbands' last name, she'd end up with a
REALLY long last name - well, 3 of them actually!

From your list, I really like Elisabeth and Jacob.

Old September 2nd 03, 11:16 PM
Em

"annafine" wrote in message
How did you pick out the name to give your baby?

Was the name picked out before you got pregnant, after you found out
you were pregnant, after you found out the baby's gender or after the
baby was born?

EDD #1 October 18, 2003...my husband and I had narrowed our list to
about 3 names each before we ever conceived our child. After the
first u/s we tried narrowing it even more, but then went to family and
friends for "votes" and opinions.

We had decided on baby names by the time of the second u/s which was
at about 18 weeks.

Our baby girl is going to be Akira Violet. However, if the u/s tech
is wrong and we end up with a boy, his name is going to be Adam
Benjamin.

snip

I like both of the names you've chosen for your baby--particularly the
girl's name.

As for us, we had a girl's first name picked out before we conceived. We
picked a girl's middle name after finding out we were due in Sept. (middle
name after my much beloved great grandmother whose birthday is in Sept). We
also chose a possible first name for a boy. We had our ultrasound at 21
weeks and found out that the baby is a boy! We immediately decided that the
first name we'd been thinking of wasn't right after all. It took us a few
more weeks to pick the name we did settle on--we had a general sound that we
liked in a name and were exploring our options from there. DH was the one
who suggested the name we selected, and I chose the spelling of it and also
the middle name (after a beloved great grandfather).

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old September 2nd 03, 11:17 PM
Em

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
snip
I was trying to come up with a nice Korean name, but just can't think of
anything. I also wanted to use my last name, but think it sounds strange.
What do you think?

Rachel Kaplan Kelley?

I think that name sounds fine together. Have you ever thought of using
Kaplan as a first name? Sounds nice for a boy's first name to me actually
:-)

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old September 2nd 03, 11:19 PM
Em

"Em" wrote in message
As for us, we had a girl's first name picked out before we conceived. We
picked a girl's middle name after finding out we were due in Sept. (middle
name after my much beloved great grandmother whose birthday is in Sept).

We
also chose a possible first name for a boy. We had our ultrasound at 21
weeks and found out that the baby is a boy! We immediately decided that

the
first name we'd been thinking of wasn't right after all. It took us a few
more weeks to pick the name we did settle on--we had a general sound that

we
liked in a name and were exploring our options from there. DH was the one
who suggested the name we selected, and I chose the spelling of it and

also
the middle name (after a beloved great grandfather).

I forgot to add to the above that unfortunately the boy's name that we've
chosen and love, is *way* too similar in sound to the girl's name we had
picked and pretty much knocks that name out of the running to use for a
future girlbaby. It is only one syllable, whereas the girl's name was three
syllables, but that one syllable is smack dab in the middle of the girl's
name, which would make for lots of confusion if we were to use it for a
future child.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old September 2nd 03, 11:22 PM
Daye

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:16:02 GMT, "Em"
wrote:

DH was the one
who suggested the name we selected, and I chose the spelling of it

That is how we got DD's name. I suggested the name, and he chose the
spelling. If the name had been spelled by me, it would have been
JayAnne, but Jayan is the only spelling he liked.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 2nd 03, 11:52 PM
Fia

DH thinks it's silly to pick out two names when we'll only need one.
We probably won't decide until we see the little one.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:55:26 +0200, "Elly" wrote:

[...]

. com...
[...]

Help the women of Afganistan
http://www.rawa.org/

"You despise me, don't you?"
"If I gave you any thought, I probably would."
Old September 3rd 03, 03:18 AM
Sophie

"annafine" wrote in message
How did you pick out the name to give your baby?

We both could agree on it - lol.

Never found out the sex with any of them.

With #1 - Charlotte Grace.
We thought about Catherine but went with Charlotte. It was less common but
not too unusual. I wanted Grace as the first name but my husband didn't
care for it for a first name so I got it for the middle name. No real
meaning, we just liked both names. My husband has always wanted a Jacob.
Middle name would be Wood - my husband's middle name and a maiden name way
back in his family tree.

With #2 - Patrick Wood
For a girl - Maya Kathryn. No reasons, we just liked it. Jacob had become
SUPER popular so we went with my fave boy name EVER - Patrick. Middle name
is Wood - see above.

With #3 - Lewis Holt
Took forever to come up with names. For a boy - middle name is my maiden
name - Holt.
I liked the Drew Carey Show and came up with Lewis! Who knew both our
families have TONS in both family trees with that spelling - everyone's
happy - lol. I think we came up with Virginia Paige for a girl - can't even
remember. I know I wasn't too sure about 2 girls with place names
(Charlotte and Virginia) but it's a pretty name.

I know I asked here *a lot* for naming help and I'm sure will do the same
for #4.

Unconsolable infant dkc General 18 May 25th 04 11:02 PM
Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM
Introducing your dog to your newborn. The Huwe Family Pregnancy 2 August 12th 03 02:39 AM