How do you "meditate"

Old May 26th 04, 05:19 PM
ted

Default How do you "meditate"

I agree that meditation is the best way to release stress. Now, if
only I can sit tight for two minutes I see people "meditating" and
releasing stress when they do things like knitting or gardening. It's
just a way to relax and unwind after a day's work.

What do you do that relaxes you?
Old May 26th 04, 07:00 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:19:35 -0700, ted wrote:

What do you do that relaxes you?

Depending on my level of stress:
1. Low to medium level: play with DS and read him a book, stare out of the
window to look at the sky, enjoy a summer thunderstorm if one happens to
be near (like yesterday, also good for higher stress levels).
2. Medium level: play music, sing, read a good book and bitch at DH when I
feel like it. Usually I tell him it's me, not his fault, that helps.
3. Medium to high level: do breathing exercises, take a warm bath with
nicely scented oils and treat myself to a facial scrub and mask.
4. High level: breathing exercises while lying on my bed, trying to relax
each muscle in my body and conciously imaging the stress flowing away and
peace flowing in with each breath I take.

At all levels it helps to interact with DS, he is like a lightning rod for
stress, when I am with him, I feel instantly relaxed. Especially when he
comes up to me and asks for a hug.

Step 4 comes closest to real meditation. When I really meditate though, I
try to think of nothing. That is very hard, but I can manage, even in
times my stress level is high. Sometimes I don't manage and my thoughts
are just a jumble without order, usually I find it hard to catch sleep on
such days, but luckily they are rare.

I wouldn't claim I'm an expert though, when it comes to meditation, this
is just what works for me.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 26th 04, 07:23 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

ted wrote:

I agree that meditation is the best way to release stress. Now, if
only I can sit tight for two minutes I see people "meditating" and
releasing stress when they do things like knitting or gardening. It's
just a way to relax and unwind after a day's work.

What do you do that relaxes you?

A good book always works for me. I commonly read just a bit before going
to bed because it helps me quiet down my mind. I also tend to run
through making up stories in my mind to calm my focus as I fall asleep.

Old May 26th 04, 08:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

ted wrote:

What do you do that relaxes you?

I find reading and needlework very relaxing. I
also need to get out and socialize with other adults
occasionally, and find that very relaxing as well. If
I were independently wealthy, I'd be happy to use spa
time as a means of relaxing on a regular basis ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka