Vent: Getting rid of outgrown clothing

Old August 23rd 03, 08:12 PM
chiam margalit

Default Vent: Getting rid of outgrown clothing

I know this seems petty, but it's driving me nuts. I am desperately
trying to get rid of 5 years of outgrown kids clothing. One would
think this would be an easy task, but where I live there really aren't
resale shops that take larger sizes (most focus only on babies stuff,
which is long long gone), and the shelters don't take donations
directly (or so they claim). I think the problem is, because there are
no resale shops, everyone donates and the charities are overwhelmed.

Our synagogue does not have a rummage sale, although I have BEGGED
them to reconsider, and second hand clothings, no matter how gently
worn, seems to carry a stigma here that it does not carry in other
parts of the country.

I've resorted to shipping clothing to friends in the midwest, but this
is not a permanent solution to the problem. Packed another box this
afternoon and I'll spend $20 sending my clothing, which seems to be to
be not the best solution to the problem. :-) I wanted to MAKE money or
at least get a tax deduction, not spend money! I now have 6 huge
cartons in my living room, waiting to be donated someplace. WHERE?????

What I want to know is, what charities beyond Big Brother Big Sister,
the shelters, and Good Will do you donate your clothing to, and will
they take bigger sizes? (I'm talking about kids sizes 10-14.) The
smaller sizes aren't a problem, they tend to get snapped up at our
yearly junque, oh I mean GARAGE, sale. But the bigger stuff languishes
and I HAVE to get rid of it before it becomes a mountain.

Inundated in clothing,

Marjorie
Old August 23rd 03, 08:31 PM
Donna Metler

Default Getting rid of outgrown clothing

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Are there any inner city schools within a reasonable drive? Mine maintains a
clothes closet for children who need them, and one of our needs is always
clothes for larger sized kids, who often wear theirs out before they outgrow
them.

I know my school will sign a tax deduction form if you give a stated value.

Old August 23rd 03, 08:41 PM
just me

[...]

Your local version of Childrn's Pr0tective svces may well find those
donations most helpful, as well as any group homes for children: donations
for teens in any donation drive lag far behind donations for younger
children and infants. Children taken into care often arrive only with what
they have on their backs and there is little money [at least in my state] to
buy them much. Also consider battered women's shelters for similar reasons
and organizations who provide services to those with lower incomes. Are
there any soup kitchens or similar places in a reasonable traveling
distance?

And, then there is the great ebay adventure in selling, which some
apparently manage to make money at by selling used clothing. That may be
more than you want to deal with, but I have run into folks who were making
more than just pin money at it.

-Aula

Old August 23rd 03, 09:08 PM
Cheryl S.

chiam margalit wrote in message
m...
What I want to know is, what charities beyond Big Brother
Big Sister, the shelters, and Good Will do you donate your
clothing to, and will they take bigger sizes?

DH and I donate our no-longer-useful-to-us clothing to the Vietnam
Veterans of America. They take all sizes and even say they especially
want clothing. They come right to your house to pick it up, you just
have to call and then leave it outside on a certain day. See:

http://www.clothingdonations.org/

Salvation Army and Purple Heart are other charities that come to mind,
that accept clothing of all sizes and other household items.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old August 23rd 03, 09:14 PM
Cathy Kearns

Saint Vincent de Paul. I know they take any kids clothes,
as well as other stuff. They sell the stuff in thrift stores, but
they also give vouchers to the thrift stores to homeless shelters,
battered women shelters, and others.

om...

Old August 23rd 03, 09:21 PM
Naomi Pardue

What I want to know is, what charities beyond Big Brother Big Sister,
the shelters, and Good Will do you donate your clothing to, and will
they take bigger sizes?

I just lugged about 6 grocery bags full of stuff to the Salvation Army last
week.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old August 24th 03, 12:30 AM
misty

piggybacking

I think donating to the Salvation Army sucks. Coming from someone who
grew up wearing the clothes donated there..

They charge about .75 less than new at Walmart for donated cothes..and
with a family of 3 evergrowing boys..I'll buy new before I would pay new
prices for used clothes.

Not to mention how they are politically and religiously aligned.
http://www.democraticunderground.com...mID34/181.html

Perhaps you have a t.r.a.i.n. type of org. in your state/area who
accepts clothes donations? http://www.iowatrain.org/

~misty

Old August 24th 03, 01:03 AM
Truffles

chiam margalit wrote:

What I want to know is, what charities beyond Big Brother Big Sister,
the shelters, and Good Will do you donate your clothing to, and will
they take bigger sizes?

Disaster relief agencies like the Red Cross? I know the Red Cross is
taking anything they can get ATM for people in Kelowna due to the fires.
It probably wouldn't be practical to ship them up here but maybe there
is a local chapter.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 24th 03, 01:19 AM
dejablues

I give them all to St. Vincent Depaul (a Catholic charity). There is a box
in the parking lot of St. Marys Manor (the old age home in the parish). I
just bag them up and dump them in there and aprroximate the value for the
IRS at tax time. Of course, I have 3 boys, so by the time the clothing
cycles through all three of them, there isn't much left that's donate-able.
:-) My mom swears by ebay , but that is a lot of work.
Does your synagogue sponsor any overseas charities? Our church donates many
things to an orphanage in Slovakia , but they only send things once a year.