Cord blood banking

Old October 13th 06, 01:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Cord blood banking

Looking into banking my first baby's cord blood. I wanted to know if
anyone has any experience with this. If so, could you please tell us
about rates and best known banks?

Thank you!

Old October 13th 06, 06:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

writes:
: Looking into banking my first baby's cord blood. I wanted to know if
: anyone has any experience with this. If so, could you please tell us
: about rates and best known banks?

: Thank you!

I can say that I have read about it and weighed the ups and downs, and
we decided not to do it. There are a lot of ins and outs, and it may
depend on you specific family history.

First, you need to examine and articulate your reasons for doing so,
and to decide whether it could provide a benefit. For example, does
you family have a history of genetic problems that could be solved
with cord blood? Second, what are the procedures at the place where
you will give birth for collecting cord blood. There is fairly
convincing evidence that babies fare better if early clamping and
cutting of the cord is avoided. If your care givers require early
clamping and cutting to collect cord blood, you may be losing more
than you gain. There is a lot of information on the pros and cons
available. I suggest you become educated on these issues, and make
an informed decision. I do not currently have a lot of pointer to
the information. Perhaps some of the other people here on mkp can
provide some pointers.

Larry
Old October 14th 06, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

well this was on the bbc website today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6044106.stm

saying banking it should be discouraged, though it does suggest donation,
but all the reasons given not to would apply to both. However it doesn't
mention the blood not being given to the baby!

Anne

Old October 18th 06, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
amberblue

We banked our first with CBR, www.cordblood.com, they are a private
company. We decided to bank because our family has a history of
cancer. Our doctor recommend them and my brother banked with them as
well and we got a discount.