CSE/Welfare Fraud Saga

Old August 18th 04, 07:24 PM
Werebat

Default CSE/Welfare Fraud Saga

I had made up my mind to head in to CSE in person today with my son in
tow just to sit down and try to tie up some loose ends.

My three main concerns we

1. For a period of one year, my ex collected both Welfare from the state
and CS from me. She had told me she had gotten off of Welfare and been
a bit less than honest about that. I had concerns that the state would
be coming after me for that year's worth of money ever since learning
the truth in a courtroom this past January.

2. I have not yet received my tax returns and wanted to learn if they
had been intercepted.

3. Around about January I also had received a mysterious document from
CSE demanding that I pay them $514. There was some gobbledegook in the
middle of the page about payments made and owed that didn't make any
sense to me. I've already paid the money (having been intimidated by a
two-day stay in prison), but I wanted to know where the figure had come
from and see if it was justified.

Just before I set out I recieved a call back from a man at CSE who is
apparently my NEW case worker. He was actually personable and seemed
helpful in many ways, although he kept trying to lead me away from
discussion about where the $514 sum had come from. After getting back
to it six or seven times he searched his filed and admitted that he
didn't really know where it had come from. He also admitted that my
case had been mismanaged from the start, and that I had done nothing
wrong, and that it was unfortunate I had been jailed.

He told me that CSE never collected my tax returns, and I'm in the
process of finding out what happened to them from the IRS. Most likely
they went to the wrong house when I moved. Hopefully no big deal.

As far as the $514, it was nice to hear that CSE had no idea where it
came from, ie it was essentially fabricated. When I mentioned coming
after CSE for the money, he hastily told me that it would be a waste of
time, citing a few deductions that had been made from my account in the
past (these were from blatant mistakes made in the past by CSE or their
lawyers, for example a lawyer who erroneously wrote in a $100 per month
obligation to CSE that took three months to clear up; or the INTEREST on
that unpaid money that was never supposed to have been owed in the first
place!). It's pure BS, but in the end I decided not to pursue them
since the discrepancy in what I was paying them and what my divorce
decree said I was obliged to pay in CS (something niether I not my ex
had noticed was that the judge awarded $50 more per month in CS than
what we had agreed to in mediation) meant I had paid slightly less than
I would have if everything had been handled properly and smoothly.

What still concerns me is the year that I paid my ex directly (via
checks) while she was receiving Welfare. The CSE caseworker told me
that it was not possible for him to give me a document that I could wave
in a judge's face, stating that I did not owe any of that money to the
state. He did say that it was up to welfare to pursue my ex if they
wanted to, and that my account would be officially closed with a zero
balance in a week (at our last court appearance my ex had demanded that
CSE be taken out of the loop, as she had insisted they were retaining
more money than they should, and since she is now off Welfare the judge
had been forced to comply). The CSE caseworker told me that even if I
were to be taken to court for the money, if I had documentation of the
cashed checks and they stated that they were for CS for my son, I would
be given credit since I was following the order that the court had given
for that time period. This is in the state of Rhode Island.

I do feel a little leery of the truth of this, since what he was
essentially saying was that CSE couldn't claim I owed them money unless
a court had specifically said that I did, and I had documents right in
front of me that were mailed to me in February stating that I owed $514
(when there was no court order for me to pay CSE). It was like claiming
something was impossible when it had already happened to me, and we were
both looking at the documents proving it.

I'd still be a bit more secure if I had a document from someone
explaining that I did NOT owe that year's worth of money to the state.
As I explained to the CSE worker, since I am giving my ex money over and
above the ordered amount to pay off some of her student loans (she isn't
using them to pay anything off, but this is something we had agreed to
years ago and I continue to honor it), it would be better if the state
came after me NOW while I still "owe" (without any legal documents
saying so) her some money. That way I could just take the year's
welfare payments off of the top of the money I owe her, and not really
"lose" anything in the grand scheme of things (SHE would, but that's
also attractive in that there would actually be some repercussions for
her defrauding the government).

Does anyone have any opinions about this? Is this man full of ****?
What can I do to protect myself? I have already brought the matter to
the attention of CSE and Welfare Fraud, who apparently have done nothing
about it. I also keep a copy of every single one of those checks from
the year in question in my "CSE legal folder", just in case.

If nothing else, it was nice to hear an official at CSE admit to me that
they had screwed up my case. He didn't know the half of it (that lawyer
who tacked on a fabricated $100 per month obligation to CSE to the court
order was a piece of work), but it was nice.

- Ron ^*^

Old August 22nd 04, 03:06 AM
The Beast

"Werebat" wrote in message

[...]

They're all full of ****.
This same thing happened to me, it's a nightmare.
"Never be haughty to the humble,

never be humble to the haughty."
- Jefferson Davis

Old August 22nd 04, 04:24 AM
John Riggs

I have a senator looking into it for me, seeing as the jerkwads ignore
everything I tell them. The only want $48,577 from me now.....and I had
custody. The ex is gone, the kids are gone, and they just want to keep
ruining my life.
I'll be glad when I can say they *did* that, instead of saying they're
doing that.

"The Beast" wrote in message
.. .

Old August 26th 04, 02:46 AM
DySart7007

for one thing do not send money directly to your ex-spouse take it to CS
secondly if you are already doing that they have an accounting dept. you have
find that one personable worker (lord knows it is hard) explain to them that
you need to check your arrearages they will tell you also they can inform you
of you IRS refund. I had the same problem my question is if these so called
case workers do not want to help people why did they take the job?