Marijuana relieves morning sickness?

Old April 12th 05, 04:41 AM
Amy

Cuddlefish wrote:

Thank you Jenn, I too felt quite uncomfortable after reading this.

How are you teaching your kids right from wrong if you're NOT teaching
them about consequences?

I also found the anti-Jamican slurs uncalled for also. [Even when

read as a
joke they come across somewhat ignorant.]

Oh for Christ's sake. Political correctness is so 90s. Get over it.

Amy

Old April 12th 05, 04:45 AM
Nan

On 11 Apr 2005 20:41:05 -0700, "Amy" wrote:

Oh for Christ's sake. Political correctness is so 90s. Get over it.

Amy

Damn you're a bitch.

Nan

Old April 12th 05, 04:49 AM
Amy

Caledonia wrote:

Amy, I know you're trying to inject a bit of lighthearted humor in

your

this.

It was a joke. Really. No Jamaicans were harmed in the writing of
that post.

It's a big world out there.

Well, I'll be damned. There IS a medical school in Jamaica:

http://www.mona.uwi.edu/fms/undergradprog.htm

However, it doesn't appear that they're doing any research into the
issue of marijuana use during pregnancy:

http://www.mona.uwi.edu/fms/research.htm

....they're probably avoiding the inevitable jokes.

Hey, at least I can spell "Jamaica."

Amy

Old April 12th 05, 04:53 AM
Amy

Nan wrote:
On 11 Apr 2005 20:41:05 -0700, "Amy" wrote:

Oh for Christ's sake. Political correctness is so 90s. Get over

it.

Amy

Damn you're a bitch.

That's not your line...

Amy

Old April 12th 05, 05:21 AM

Amy wrote:
Circe wrote:

it's still a street drug, and you will never know if it's laced
with speed or coke or X or something else stupid that could cause

great deal of harm to the baby and to you. It is a stupid,

stupid,
STUPID chance to take.

There are sources of so-called "medical marijuana" which are

reasonably
safe. And, of course, marijuana *can* be grown at home.

This is not to say I think it's wise to smoke or otherwise ingest

marijuana
while pregnant, but merely to point out that it is not

*necessarily*
the
case that one must buy it from the local pusher on the corner

without
the
slightest idea as to its provenance or potential other contents.

...but wouldn't you agree that not only purchasing but Growing Your

Own
Pot would go over like the proverbial lead balloon if one were caught
by the local authorities? All it takes is for your kindergartener to
go to school and talk about Mommy's nifty new basement garden, and
you're screwed. Poof, there go your kids into the foster system.
Poof, there goes your freedom. Poof, there goes your life - up in
smoke.

Remember - Todd said, "Why can't pregnant women ///illegally/// smoke
marijuana to treat their morning sickness?" (emphasis mine). He

wasn't
talking about getting it through legal means, like medical marijuana,
which IIRC is only actually legal in a few places.

...and I replied, "They can illegally do it all they want, don't mean
that it ain't stupid," or similar...

Amy

That is a valid issue, but I think depends on the state you live in.
Here in California, medical marijuana is legal. I don't think the
govt. would work too hard here to go after a user in this state.

KC

Old April 12th 05, 05:25 AM
Caledonia

Amy wrote in message:
Caledonia wrote:

Amy, I know you're trying to inject a bit of lighthearted humor in

your

this.

It was a joke. Really. No Jamaicans were harmed in the writing of
that post.

I'm trying (in what might be a far too subtle way) to say that it
wasn't funny.

Or at the very least, not funny to me.

I know, I'm not the gatekeeper of usenet humor, but felt I had to say
something. I didn't see my post as assuming the role of Guardian of All
Things PC; more as a nudge that you might not feel so glib about some
of your comments if, say, we were sitting across from each other.

Caledonia

Old April 12th 05, 05:32 AM
Cuddlefish

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cuddlefish wrote:

Thank you Jenn, I too felt quite uncomfortable after reading this.

How are you teaching your kids right from wrong if you're NOT teaching
them about consequences?

I also found the anti-Jamican slurs uncalled for also. [Even when

read as a
joke they come across somewhat ignorant.]

Oh for Christ's sake. Political correctness is so 90s. Get over it.

Amy

I am a teacher. I teach right from wrong for a living. People who view the
world through a judgemental lens seldom make very good teachers. Perhaps, if
I do not hold the same judgements of right and wrong that you do, I will not
hold that the same 'consequences' [or punishment as you seem to equate]
should apply.

I am also Australian. I have no idea what political correctness is.

Your histrionics are getting very tiring, very quickly.

--
Jacqueline
#1 Due late Jul/early Aug

Old April 12th 05, 05:39 AM
A&G&K&H

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Larry McMahan wrote:
In misc.kids.pregnancy Amy wrote:

: That said, I'm not convinced that mj causes miscarriage - I just

think
: it's a freaking stupid chance to take.

What make you think that. If I remember correctly some studies done
in the Carribean (Jamica?) found no ill effect if the mother did NOT
also smoke tobacco. I think other studies have shown a beneficial
effect on relieving morning sicknes.

Yeah, because Jamaica is poised to become the next world power...
People are clamoring to get into Jamaica University, they have hundreds
of Nobel Prize winners, etc. Everyone should aspire to do everything
exactly the way it's done in Jamaica....

Pardon? I still recall your outburst when somebody made a criticism of your
own country.

Smoking pot while pregnant may give your kid dread locks and an
affinity for steel drums.

I think you are again believing what you want to believe rather than
objectively looking at the available data.

I don't need to look at the available data. Five different websites
said, "May cause miscarriage" - that's enough for me. Here's all the
objective data any reasonable person should need: If you live in the
US, smoking weed is illegal. If you break the law (especially at a
time in life when you're having frequent urine tests!!!) you are
setting yourself up for trouble with CPS when the kid is born, if they
don't put you in jail to begin with for endangering the kid and doing
something that's illegal. I don't know about you, but jail isn't on my
top ten list of "where I want to spend my pregnancy."

While I agree with you on not wanting to smoke pot at anytime, I think Larry
does have a fair point. No - I personally *wouldn't* use any illicit drug,
but I also wouldn't try to pretend that what some website says is equivalent
to a peer-reviewed study on a topic.

Jamaica, maybe, if it weren't so damn hot.

Secondly, even if pot has magical powers to cure nausea (which is a big
damn IF - one "case study" (read: anecdotal report) does not a truth
make), it's still a street drug, and you will never know if it's laced
with speed or coke or X or something else stupid that could cause a
great deal of harm to the baby and to you. It is a stupid, stupid,
STUPID chance to take.

Speaking as a scientist who has worked in a lab with people trying to do
research on MJ, its *damn* hard to get permission to experiment on the
stuff. Its very very hard to get permission for drug trials of this nature
so I wouldn't be surprised at the lack of data.
I am surprised however that in one para, you are thumbing your nose at
"available data" and in the next you are suggesting that your reading of
case studies means that the information contained in the report is of no
consequence....

I do agree with your view of not wishing to trial it whilst pg. Having said
that, if a study were to be done (wouldn't want to see the paperwork
involved on getting approval for *that* study) that showed that it was
beneficial to some women suffering severe ms and that the positive effects
outweighed the negative effects (and I believe there are substantial
negative effects) then I couldn't dispute the finding. There'd have to be a
lot of positives to convince me though....

Frankly, though, I believe that anyone dumb enough to smoke pot while
pregnant (or anytime, for that matter) deserves what they get - whether
that's a miscarriage, a round of dealing with CPS, or a kid who comes
out looking like Bob Marley and never learns any words beyond, "hey
mon." 'Round here we call that "natural selection."

What a cruel thing to say.
I sincerely hope you never have to experience a miscarriage ... I wouldn't
wish one on my worst enemy. *Nobody* "deserves" that.

One more thing - "natural" does not equal "healthy." Rattlesnakes are
natural. Tsunami are natural. Charging herds of wild boar are
natural. So are earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, and hurricanes. So
are about a gazillion poisonous plants. Nature hates you. It would
kill you if it had the chance. You should stay away from nature as
much as possible, or you will get dead.

Geez after that brainless rant I'm wanting to ask what drugs you *are*
doing.

Old April 12th 05, 06:04 AM

Amy wrote:
Cuddlefish wrote:

Thank you Jenn, I too felt quite uncomfortable after reading this.

How are you teaching your kids right from wrong if you're NOT

teaching
them about consequences?

I would just like to point out that right from wrong is very different
than legal from illegal.

KC

Old April 12th 05, 06:27 AM
emilymr

My MIL sent me one of her pregnancy/birth book from the 70s; it was a very
hippy natural-birth book, and my favorite story was the woman who gave
birth in a teepee in the desert of Arizona. My second favorite was the
woman who had a big party at her house during her labor; they all sat
around "munching peyote buttons" and swigging red wine, and she took a few
hits to get herself through transition. I believe she named her daughter
Sunday Peaches. There wasn't even a disclaimer about marijuana use...
times sure have changed!

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04