Wow..oh wow..

Old June 2nd 05, 12:57 AM
Shell

Default Wow..oh wow..

I have to share this conversation with you guys... I think I'm still in
shock.

I was having a conversation this weekend with my step-daughter's mother.
Her sister is a nurse practitioner. We were talking about birthing methods
and the fact that I'm planning on having another natural birth (had a
natural birth with my 1st). She told me that her sister says that "All
women should have a c-section. It's much easier and less risky."

?!!?!!!

I just about fell off the couch. She went on to explain that her sister
sees births everyday and the complications and insists it would be much
easier if everyone just scheduled a c-section and that "we've evolved past
giving birth. It isn't necessary."

I'm just in shock that someone in the medical industry (in L&D no less!)
would say something like that!!

~Shell
EDD Oct 25

Old June 2nd 05, 02:19 AM
camandshane

"We've *evolved* past giving birth" !!??!!

That statement sounds like it's straight out of a Stephen King short
story.

Hmmmm.

Cam
#2 EDD 7 Feb 06

Old June 2nd 05, 03:13 AM
JennP

"Shell" wrote in message

She went on to explain that her sister
sees births everyday and the complications and insists it would be much
easier if everyone just scheduled a c-section and that "we've evolved past
giving birth. It isn't necessary."

Holy cow! "We've evolved past birth". Wow.

JennP.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:20 AM
Nan

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:57:23 -0500, "Shell"
wrote:

I just about fell off the couch. She went on to explain that her sister
sees births everyday and the complications and insists it would be much
easier if everyone just scheduled a c-section and that "we've evolved past
giving birth. It isn't necessary."

Ack. I'd hate to have her be *my* L&D nurse!!

Nan
Old June 2nd 05, 04:02 AM
Shell

Yup, that just about sent me over the edge. In fact she stated vaginal
birth was no longer necessary and our medical practices have improved.

I told her if anyone dared say that to me at the Dr's office I'd kick them
out immediately and report them!

~Shell

ups.com...

#2 EDD 7 Feb 06

Old June 2nd 05, 04:48 AM
Irrational Number

Shell wrote:
[...] She [...] insists it would be much
easier if everyone just scheduled a c-section and that "we've evolved past
giving birth. It isn't necessary."

Cool. So, we can, like, beam those babies out?
And the placenta and stuff, too?

-- Anita --

Old June 2nd 05, 06:20 AM
Kerry J. Renaissance-McAdams

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:02:59 -0500, "Shell"
wrote:

Yup, that just about sent me over the edge. In fact she stated vaginal
birth was no longer necessary and our medical practices have improved.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. "Evolved past
birth", indeed -- not while we're still able to do so. C-sections can
be useful for many reasons, but in no way are they a good default if
you don't have to. And I say this after having two of them, one
definitely emergency, one elective -- but very strongly advised by my
doctor. I'd like to try vaginal birth, but we'll see how it goes.
I'll be working with a new clinic for this next birth, and I think
they're a bit less conservative than my regular Ob/Gyn. I know my
sister was able to have a vaginal birth with her third child, after 2
C-sections, but while we seem to be similiar in many ways regarding
pregnancy and birth, we may not be that similiar. Also, this will be
another surrogate pregnancy, and I hesitate to risk someone else's
baby. But that can be discussed further after I actually get
pregnant.

-- Kerry

Old June 2nd 05, 08:08 AM

Shell writes:
: Yup, that just about sent me over the edge. In fact she stated vaginal
: birth was no longer necessary and our medical practices have improved.

: I told her if anyone dared say that to me at the Dr's office I'd kick them
: out immediately and report them!

: ~Shell

Hmm. Shell, I empahthise with your position, but you might want to try
a bit more articulate and less directly attacking response. :-)

I would suggest memorizing all the the bad things that can happen with
a surgical or assisted birth, and just start quoting statistics.

Larry

:
: That statement sounds like it's straight out of a Stephen King short
: story.
:
: Hmmmm.
:
: Cam
: #2 EDD 7 Feb 06
:

Old June 2nd 05, 05:00 PM
xkatx

"Shell" wrote in message
[...]

Oh wow! That's amazing. I had an emergency c-section with my first. I had
no choice, but quite frankly, it was THE worst experience of my life. I was
under the impression and understanding that c-sections are considered major
surgery. There's way more chance of infection and complication, and the
healing time is substantially longer, since it is major surgery!
My second was a vaginal birth, and as I barely remember, I do recall it
being hell, but well worth it when compared to a c-section... Maybe there's
some difference between a planned, scheduled c-section and an emergency one,
but I can't see the difference in the 2 being so much since it's the same
procedure and all that.
I think maybe I'm just behind the times a bit... I don't think I've quite
evolved to this stage where I don't have to give birth... Does anyone have
any suggestions on how I could possibly hurry up with my evolution? Any
changes in my diet? Lifestyle? Any medication or creams that have worked
for you? lol I still think that's kind of funny, anyways!