Pain and stiffness in both hands

Old July 1st 04, 03:08 PM
M Wayne

Default Pain and stiffness in both hands

In the last week I've noticed pain and stiffness in my hands - could this be
due to swelling? They haven't swollen *that* much, not like my feet, which
are gigantic at all times now, but that's the only reason I can think of.
It's much worse in the morning and tends to subside by evening.
Thoughts?

--
Melissa
Baby Harry due 7/27/04

Old July 1st 04, 03:35 PM
Mary W.

M Wayne wrote:

In the last week I've noticed pain and stiffness in my hands - could this be
due to swelling? They haven't swollen *that* much, not like my feet, which
are gigantic at all times now, but that's the only reason I can think of.
It's much worse in the morning and tends to subside by evening.
Thoughts?

My first pregnancy my finger joints were killing me. OB said
it was a pregnancy thing and it did go away after birth.

I have thus far escaped it this pregnancy (36 weeks). I
did have a spell of really itchy hands, which I was told
was due to increased circulation. Its passed though.

Mary

Old July 1st 04, 04:32 PM
New York Jen

"M Wayne" wrote in message
In the last week I've noticed pain and stiffness in my hands - could this

be
due to swelling? They haven't swollen *that* much, not like my feet, which
are gigantic at all times now, but that's the only reason I can think of.
It's much worse in the morning and tends to subside by evening.
Thoughts?

--
Melissa
Baby Harry due 7/27/04

It could also be carpal tunnel, which is common during pregnancy.

Old July 1st 04, 06:43 PM
aml

"M Wayne" wrote in message ...
In the last week I've noticed pain and stiffness in my hands - could this be
due to swelling? They haven't swollen *that* much, not like my feet, which
are gigantic at all times now, but that's the only reason I can think of.
It's much worse in the morning and tends to subside by evening.
Thoughts?

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome during pregnancy...at least that's what I was
told last time around. It usually gets better after the baby is born.

I really had a hard time with it the last month of my first
pregnancy...some days I couldn't write anything readable to anyone
else. And since I write technical reports for a living, it wasn't much
fun (typing, aargh). Try not to clench your fists at night (I do this
as well)...I think that's why it's worse in the morning.

Have a nice hand massage...it'll *really* help.

aml
Old July 1st 04, 08:13 PM
Marion Boulden

M Wayne wrote:

In the last week I've noticed pain and stiffness in my hands - could this be
due to swelling? They haven't swollen *that* much, not like my feet, which
are gigantic at all times now, but that's the only reason I can think of.
It's much worse in the morning and tends to subside by evening.
Thoughts?

--
Melissa
Baby Harry due 7/27/04
(remove "NOSPAM" to reply)

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Even if your hands aren't swelling, there is some
fluid retained which narrows the tunnel in your wrist through which nerves
pass. It's pretty common during pregnancy, and also it's normal that it would
be worse in the morning. Buy a couple of wrist splint-braces from the
drugstore and wear them while you sleep. This will prevent you from propping
your wrist under your chin or otherwise bending your wrist, which will compress
the nerves more. If you find that this still doesn't help a lot, try also
wearing them during the day. It normally goes away with delivery.

For the swelling in general, I'm sure you've heard it all before... restrict
your salt intake, drink lots of water (don't restrict fluids, it will make the
swelling worse, believe it or not!), spend as much time as you can with your
feet up. Don't sit for long periods, i.e. get up and walk around. Don't sleep
on your back... the weight of the uterus constricts circulation to the lower
body.

Marion
Katy, edd 10/16

Old July 2nd 04, 01:59 AM
Meg

In my first pregnancy, I experienced the same thing in my right hand
prior to the delivery of my DD, then postpartum I had it in both. I
went to the Dr. to have it checked out due to the fact that it lasted
longer than six weeks. While there the Dr. asked me to put my thumb
inside my hand to make a fist and try to turn my wrist in a "c" motion
outward from my body. If I felt pain up my arm, then it was Quirrains
(spelling??) Tendonitis. It did clear up, but only after awhile. I
know it's frustrating--not to mention painful, but it'll go away.
With my second pregnancy, I would get numb hands. I wasn't sure which
was worse??

Good luck!

Megan
Julia, 10/31/01
David and Elizabeth, 02/03/04
Old July 2nd 04, 02:29 AM
M Wayne

Yes, I was thinking it was possibly carpal tunnel. I just thought it
would've shown up earlier than 36 weeks.

--
Melissa
Baby Harry due 7/27/04
"aml" wrote in message
om...

Old July 2nd 04, 02:31 AM
M Wayne

I also have the numbness. I'll wake up with pins & needles in my hands, for
no apparent reason. It's delightful!

--
Melissa
Baby Harry due 7/27/04