No more LAM, thoughts on IUD

Old August 25th 03, 06:10 PM
She's A Goddess

Default No more LAM, thoughts on IUD

Owen is nine weeks old today. He's been ramping up his night-time sleep
since he was born, going from six to seven hours the last few days and last
night slept eight and a half hours! Yay me, right? Well since sister is
still waking up one to three times per night a lot of the time I don't
actually get to sleep straight through and I almost wish I was letting her
nurse (we're on a "you can nurse when you wake up and its light out"
schedule) but I know it had gotten out of control and I want to get her to
sleeping through also. So, with LAM out the window now, I've got to come up
with some reliable contraception. I really want to avoid the mini-pill
although I can't really say why. I tried to be fitted for a diaphragm after
Maddie was born and apparently have to short of a natural cervix. So, I'm
leaning toward an IUD. My insurance pays for it so it'll only cost $20 to
insert and $20 to remove, which is a good deal. The question is, should I
go with a regular one or with Mirena? Will the hormones in the Mirena cause
any supply issues (my recollection is no because it isn't estrogen?)? And
finally, will it induce a period? Or will I still not have one until my
body otherwise would have ramped back up?

Thanks!

--
Rhiannon
Madison Sophia - 9/6/01

Old August 25th 03, 06:19 PM
Andrea A. Phillips

"She's A Goddess" wrote in message
. net...
insert and $20 to remove, which is a good deal. The question is, should I
go with a regular one or with Mirena? Will the hormones in the Mirena

cause
any supply issues (my recollection is no because it isn't estrogen?)? And
finally, will it induce a period? Or will I still not have one until my
body otherwise would have ramped back up?

I vote Mirena (and I'm getting mine in a week or so). I don't think any IUD
will cause periods if you wouldn't have had them anyway, but the copper IUDs
cause periods to be heavier and more painful than they would otherwise have
been.

Mirena is progesterone only, and a small amount of it at that, so it
shouldn't affect your supply at all. Also, the hormone combats the
period-heaviness induced by IUDs in general, and many women who are not even
nursing report that their periods become lighter or disappear completely
while they are using Mirena.

HTH.

--Andrea

Old August 26th 03, 04:56 AM
iphigenia

Andrea A. Phillips wrote:

I vote Mirena (and I'm getting mine in a week or so). I don't think
any IUD will cause periods if you wouldn't have had them anyway, but
the copper IUDs cause periods to be heavier and more painful than
they would otherwise have been.

I would say the copper-T MAY cause periods to be heavier and more painful.
That has certainly not been the case for me.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 26th 03, 12:34 PM
Cathy Weeks

"She's A Goddess" wrote in message news:DIw2b.194070$cF.64651@rwcrnsc53...

The only drawback of mine, is that sometimes Chris can feel it during
sex, and it can be uncomfortable. But that's only occasionally, and a
position change takes care of it.

I'm assuming you mean uncomfortable for him? Is he just feeling the string,
or can you actually feel the IUD through the uterus somehow?

I can't feel it at all, unless I'm checking the strings. Yes, it's
uncomfortable, even a little painful (he describes it as "definitely
uncomfortable, a little painful, definitely a moodbreaker") for him on
occasion. The ends of the strings actually poke him in the glans.
It's getting less and less often though as time goes by, though. It
was never very common in the first place.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old August 26th 03, 06:41 PM
Michelle S. Spina

(Cathy Weeks) wrote in message . com...
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote in message ...
but the copper IUDs
cause periods to be heavier and more painful than they would otherwise have
been.

Actually, I was JUST going to post a question about IUDs.
We've been using condoms for a few years now, and I've been considering asking
my gyn about switching to an IUD. My concern is that my periods have been real
weird lately (infrequent and heavy, with lots of spotting in between.) Will an
IUD make this worse? Anyone know? I will certainly ask the doc about it at my
appointment (tomorrow!), but experiences are always welcome. I can probably
live with heavier periods, since they ARE infrequent, but don't really need
more spotting.
(Progesterone-only, like in the hormone IUDs tends to increase spotting,
right?)

Yes, this is right - one of the most common side-effects of the Mirena
is persistent spotting, and it's from the progesterone.

No, I don't think so. Progesterone IUDs tend to lessen bleeding,
rather than increase it. The amount of progesterone is TINY, and not
taken systemically (though I'm sure some does get into your system).

But it still effects the lining of the uterus (obviously, since that's
how it works), and the spotting can continue forever (a published
side-effect).

You'll probably spot a little bit at first, on and off for a couple of
weeks. But once your body gets accustomed to it, it shouldn't change
things much.

Cathy, can you please tell my body this? :-) I'm actually having my
Mirena removed in 2 weeks because in the 3 months it's been in, I've
been having what they call "spotting," but what I call incredibly
annoying bleeding. Like mid-week period bleeding. Constantly. For 3
months. Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones for whom the "spotting" does
not subside right away. It *could* stop if I would like to wait for
the 6 month mark, but I fear I'll have died from anemia by then. Sigh.
I was so excited about this too...

Anyway, to the OP and Naomi, if you are thinking IUD, unless you have
a specific reason to choose a hormone-based one (like very heavy and
very painful periods, or a known issue with copper), I'd stick with
the copper-T. The spotting issue is not trivial (I believe my info
said that 30% of people have this side-effect), and I can tell you
that it can be unbearable. I got the Mirena because I have very strong
reactions to metal, and my doc (and the copper-T folks) felt that
without allergy tests it would be a bad idea to use it. So we thought
"what the heck - why not just go with Mirena then?" I wish I could
turn back the clock and have a do-over of that moment.

m.
Old August 26th 03, 11:41 PM
Naomi Pardue

Anyway, to the OP and Naomi, if you are thinking IUD, unless you have
a specific reason to choose a hormone-based one (like very heavy and
very painful periods, or a known issue with copper), I'd stick with
the copper-T.

I had my appointment today at planned parenthood. They only offer the copper T.
The clinician doesn't think that the IUD will make my bleeding problems any
worse, but it won't make them any better either. I'lll think about it, talk it
over with DH, and make my decision.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

asking for good thoughts aml Pregnancy 5 June 30th 04 10:45 PM
Postive thoughts for Nan, please! DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 45 April 28th 04 02:37 AM
Thoughts on impending loss Emily Pregnancy 11 March 1st 04 11:10 PM
Thoughts on Halloween Harold Buck General (moderated) 18 December 5th 03 04:42 PM
LeapPad/LeapFrog thoughts wanted P. Tierney General 26 July 12th 03 02:23 PM