Wouldn't Want To Go To School Today

Old March 7th 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Way Back Jack[_9_]

Default Wouldn't Want To Go To School Today

If you use as a measuring stick the success you have enjoyed and the
ability to retire in your early 50s, Catholic elementary school in the
1950s and Catholic high school in late '50s-early '60s sho nuff worked
for me. It contributed at least significantly, albeit not totally.
It wasn't for everyone though; the nuns prior to 1960 could be brutal.
I recall our third grade class having 86 kids, but you could hear a
pin drop.

The stories I hear today, especially pertaining to govt. schools:
metal detectors, cops patrolling the halls, absolute chaos in the
classroom .... whew. You have to feel sorry for those kiddos who want
to learn. They're probably in the distinct minority though and, if
so, that's a major cause of the problem. Private school? Hah, the
high school I attended now charges $20K per year just for tuition.

The old lady and I made the right choice not to reproduce.
Old March 7th 09, 08:18 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Rowley

Way Back Jack wrote:
If you use as a measuring stick the success you have enjoyed and the
ability to retire in your early 50s, Catholic elementary school in the
1950s and Catholic high school in late '50s-early '60s sho nuff worked
for me. It contributed at least significantly, albeit not totally.
It wasn't for everyone though; the nuns prior to 1960 could be brutal.
I recall our third grade class having 86 kids, but you could hear a
pin drop.

The stories I hear today, especially pertaining to govt. schools:
metal detectors, cops patrolling the halls, absolute chaos in the
classroom .... whew.

Personally, I don't feel that walking the halls in any of the public
school around here is any different (more or less dangerous) than
walking around any of the local shopping malls.... (and the schools are
probably a whole lot safer than shopping at the nearby factory outlets
around November or December...) Public education probably has more of a
cross-section statically proportional to the local general population
than most of the private schools do.... so I'm guessing that if the
school hallways are scary, so are the streets.....

Martin

Old March 7th 09, 09:51 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Way Back Jack[_9_]

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:18:56 -0600, Rowley
wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

Alas, practically every place is less safe now.

__________
Martin

Old March 8th 09, 01:33 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Rowley

wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:

[...]

I don't know - for the part 20 years I've been living in the same
neighborhood and nothing really bad has happened here - and it's a
pretty mixed bag of people - both ethnically and social economically
..... sure I have burglar bars on my windows, but I installed them back
when I was traveling for business and during a period when hardly anyone
was living in the neighborhood...

I think part of the problem is perception.... the news typically only
reports on bad things, so most people assume that is what happens on a
daily basis - even though it doesn't.... not saying there aren't scary
places, just probably not as many of them as some people think.....

Martin

__________

Martin

Old March 8th 09, 03:00 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Way Back Jack[_9_]

wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:

[...]

20 years?

Look at the original post; I'm talking about 50 years ago.

Been there; done that.

Martin

__________

Martin

Old March 8th 09, 03:51 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Rowley

wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:

[...]

50 years.... hmm... the place where I am living (where my actual house
is) was probably only accessible via horseback and even then with all
the mesquite maybe not even then....

Times indeed have changed here in Texas in the last 50 years....

I recently watched a documentry on PBS in the past week - "A Class
Apart" - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/class/

Which covers the events leading up to the 1954 U.S. Supreme Court
civil-rights case - Hernandez v. Texas...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernandez_v._Texas

1954 was also the year of Brown v. Board of Education....

In 1948 there was a civil-rights case against the local school district
here - which was about segregated campuses, some students went to a
brick building school, others were in old army barracks, and the rest
were taught in old army tents.....

I'm guessing not everybody looks upon those olden days with fond memories...

Martin

Martin

__________

Martin

Old March 8th 09, 04:08 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Way Back Jack[_9_]

wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:

[...]

Lemme put it this way, sonny:

The city in which I was raised has 300 murders a year, population
600,000.

In 1960, there were 950,000 souls living in that city. I don't know
how many murders were committed but for the entire State of 4.2
million, there were 105 murders.

Then came LBJ's Great Society that promised us cradle-to-grave
entitlement but which delivered a "you owes us attitude" and a massive
welfare State that all but destroyed the black family, e.g., black out
of wedlock rate 1963: 25%; today 70%.

Gee, Martin Luther King told us that when Civil Rights were realized,
behavior would improve. Well, we've transcended Civil Rights and now
have "preferential treatment" for the "protected" groups and yet
behavior has worsened.

Brother Martin lied to us.

Yeah, the old days were better, for everyone.

Martin

Martin

__________

Martin

Old March 8th 09, 04:28 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Rowley

wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:

[...]

We've got around 80k - but that spread out over a county around 800 sq.
miles.... some kids ride the school bus for more than an hour each way
to school... not sure how many murders, seems to be at least one or two
in the local paper every week, course the paper only comes out twice a
week....

In 1960, there were 950,000 souls living in that city. I don't know
how many murders were committed but for the entire State of 4.2
million, there were 105 murders.

Reported murders? I seem to remember reading a book on journalism from
around the 40's/50's - think the book mentioned that some things were
"news" and other were not.....

Then came LBJ's Great Society that promised us cradle-to-grave
entitlement but which delivered a "you owes us attitude" and a massive
welfare State that all but destroyed the black family, e.g., black out
of wedlock rate 1963: 25%; today 70%.

The people in Austin recently renamed Town Lake to Lady Bird Lake in
honor of LBJ's wife.....

Something to keep in mind... the civil-rights cases I mentioned were all
before the U.S. Supreme Court.... not LBJ....

Gee, Martin Luther King told us that when Civil Rights were realized,
behavior would improve. Well, we've transcended Civil Rights and now
have "preferential treatment" for the "protected" groups and yet
behavior has worsened.

No for the most part behavior hasn't improved or even changed.....

Martin

Old March 8th 09, 06:28 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Rowley

Rowley wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 20:51:28 -0600, Rowley
wrote:

snippage

In 1960, there were 950,000 souls living in that city. I don't know
how many murders were committed but for the entire State of 4.2
million, there were 105 murders.

Reported murders? I seem to remember reading a book on journalism from
around the 40's/50's - think the book mentioned that some things were
"news" and other were not.....

Went looking to see if I had the book that I remember reading.... found
one (not sure it is the same book, still browsing it to see if I can
find the passage...)

The book is a bit "older" than 50 years - the copy I have was printed
in 1936 and the original publication was 1932... (which is one of the
reasons I think it might have been another book I read as I seem to
remember it was from the early 50s...)

"A College Course in Reporting for Beginners", By Curtis D. MacDougall,
published New York, by The Macmillan Company....

It's a pretty thick book - 550 pages or so...

Chapter XX (20) covers "Crime"

It opens with this... (page 333)

"American newspapers print more news about crime than do their European
counterparts because, within the last few decades, this nation has
become the most lawless in the world."....

In the back of the book there is an Appendix (F) which has reprints of
the front pages of the final editions of newspapers all around the US
for the day of Saturday, March 14th, 1931 (so 78 years next saturday on
the nose.... a bit more than 50 I know.... 50% more)

The papers are;

The Boston Daily Globe (2 cents)
The New York Times (2 cents)
New York Herald Tribune (2 cents)
The Atlanta Constitution (8 cents - I think, the print is small)
The Cincinnati Enquirer (3 cents)
Chicago Daily Tribune (2 cents)
Milwaukee Sentinel (3 cents)
Arkansas Gazette (3 cents)
Seattle Post Intelligencer (5 cents)
Morning Oregonian (5 cents)

A lot of news seemed to have been crammed onto the front pages back then
- much more dense than today's front pages...

Some news from the time (since these are all from the same day, a lot of
the national articles are of the same events...)...

"Burglars Get $750,000 Gems at Palm Beach" (Arkansas Gazette says it was
$650,000...)

"Two Women Attacked by Kentucky Negros; Posse is Hunting Pair"

"Massachusetts Declares War Upon Dry Law"

"Drunken Policeman Fires on Passing Autos; Shot by Officers Who Are Sent
to Investigate"

Lots of kidnappings.... murders, burglaries, some hit and runs,
bootleggers, a mother drowned her two kids and then herself... gasoline
went down a penny to 13 cents (16.5 cents in Portland Or, but with a few
stations selling it for 11 cents...... usual stories on politics and
corruption... someone bombed some gambler's home....

And interesting headline...

"Progressives' Conference is Twitted By Coolidge" (they had Twitter back
then? Who knew)....

Ah, the good old old days....

Martin

snippage
Old March 8th 09, 02:11 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids
Way Back Jack[_9_]

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:28:27 -0600, Rowley
wrote:

the civil-rights cases I mentioned were all
before the U.S. Supreme Court.... not LBJ....

"Reverse" discrimination although watered-down and not as blatant
courtesy of the SCOTUS Bakke and Gratz decisions is still
alive-and-well pursuant to SCOTUS ruling in Grutter v. Bollinger.