introduction

Old July 26th 04, 07:33 PM
Lydia

Default introduction

Hi everyone. My name is Lydia. I live in Washington state. Just thought
I'd delurk and introduce myself. I took a home pregnancy test on 6/26/04
which was positive and then confirmed by my general practioner a few days
later. So my first obgyn appointment is this Thursday. I've been feeling
pretty well - nausea, extreme fatigue, and REALLY tender breasts being my
only problems.

What can I expect at my dr. visit on Thursday?

Thanks!
Lydia

Old July 26th 04, 07:45 PM
Sophie

"Lydia" wrote in message
Hi everyone. My name is Lydia. I live in Washington state. Just thought
I'd delurk and introduce myself. I took a home pregnancy test on 6/26/04
which was positive and then confirmed by my general practioner a few days
later. So my first obgyn appointment is this Thursday. I've been feeling
pretty well - nausea, extreme fatigue, and REALLY tender breasts being my
only problems.

What can I expect at my dr. visit on Thursday?

Thanks!
Lydia

Welcome and congrats.

If I can remember I think the first appointment was just paperwork, family
history, etc...check for the heartbeat and that was it. The next appointment
was a pap and stuff like that.

Sophie
mom of 4

Old July 26th 04, 08:15 PM
Jane Thorpe

Hi congrats on your pregnancy - its so exciting isn't it? I am
expecting my 5th baby but it never gets less exciting!

My first appt with my OB was a case of filling in forms about my medical
history etc, history of other births and pregnancies, they weighed me and
took my blood pressure and filled in forms for me to take to the labs to
have my bloodwork done (checks for HIV, immunity to things like german
measles etc, iron levels) and a urine sample. I had a pap smear done and a
breast exam. Mainly because it would be a full year before my post natal
health check when the baby is about 6 - 8 weeks old.

The OB will probably also listen to the baby's heartbeat and he/ she may
send you for a dating scan - some send people automatically and others only
send those who are unsure of their dates.

Bws
Jane

Old July 26th 04, 11:15 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Lydia wrote:

Hi everyone. My name is Lydia. I live in Washington state. Just thought
I'd delurk and introduce myself. I took a home pregnancy test on 6/26/04
which was positive and then confirmed by my general practioner a few days
later. So my first obgyn appointment is this Thursday. I've been feeling
pretty well - nausea, extreme fatigue, and REALLY tender breasts being my
only problems.

What can I expect at my dr. visit on Thursday?

Thanks!
Lydia

Welcome and congrats! I won't offer an answer to your question, though,
as I'm in Canada and things may be different here. (also other people
have probably already answered you - I haven't checked the rest of the
thread yet, heh heh)
Old July 27th 04, 12:54 AM
Lydia

Thanks for your kind welcomes and remarks. It *is* exciting. It's so
abstract and surreal at this point - more like I just have the flu or
something. Hard to believe the incredible journey that has started inside
me!!

Lydia

Old July 27th 04, 02:21 AM
Rebecca McGraw

Lydia wrote:

It's so
abstract and surreal at this point - more like I just have the flu or
something. Hard to believe the incredible journey that has started

inside
me!!

Lydia

I understand that! I'm almost 22 weeks and it's *still* surreal!
Although seeing the ultrasound really helps. Your dr may give you an
ultrasound on Thursday, looking for the heartbeat. My huband went along
to my first visit and when he saw the heartbeat it because VERY real for
him...more so than for me, even!
Hope you keep feeling good. Get lots of sleep and be sure to take your
vitamins!

Best,
Rebecca

PS: We are considering Lydia as a name for the Unnamed Daughter, among
others. Any commentary? Ever wish you were named something else, or do
you like it? It seems like a nice sort of name that would be hard to
make a nickname of.

Old July 27th 04, 04:40 AM
Tori M.

"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message
Lydia wrote:

[...]

Everyone wishes they had a differant name from time to time dont they? I
keep wondering why I dont change mine to something shorter then Victoria
Matheson I think maybe Tori Math would be a great name... Now if i could
just DH to go along with it. Oh and about the nick name thing I have found
you can get a nickname almost any name.. my mom is a Linda and all my aunts
call her Winna because my youngest aunt called her that as a child.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 27th 04, 04:43 PM
Lydia

PS: We are considering Lydia as a name for the Unnamed Daughter, among
others. Any commentary? Ever wish you were named something else, or do
you like it? It seems like a nice sort of name that would be hard to
make a nickname of.

I've always been happy with my name and never had any teasing problems. It
has extra special meaning for me as it was the name of my great grandmother
who was an extraordinary woman.

People often times misread it as Linda. There is also a song that goes
"Lydia, oh Lydia, Oh have you seen Lydia. Lydia the TAT-tooed ladyyyyy". I
believe Robin Williams sung it in the movie "The Fisher King" (and there was
also a character named Lydia in that movie). So I get comments once in a
great while referring to that song, but only from people old enough to know
the song. I get way more compliments than references to the tattoo song.
One downer that *I've* thought of, but no one has ever used against me is
that it does rhyme with the STD, Chlamydia. So eeek there, but do consider
the name. I've never had any trouble . It's been appearing more and more
in tv and movies, too.

From a naming book: "Means "of Lydia" in Greek. Lydia was a region on the
west coast of Asia Minor. In the New Testament this is the name of a woman
converted by Saint Paul. "

I was in a museum once and learned that the region of Lydia (now in Turkey)
had their own monetary system and was quite successful for a while. They
had some of the coins and artifacts from the civilization on display. Was
really cool. The Lydia in the bible sold purple-dyed cloth.

Happy name hunting and thank you for your advice!
Lydia

Old July 27th 04, 05:26 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:

Matheson I think maybe Tori Math would be a great name... Now if i could

Oh my... My DH would *love* to have Math as a last name. Heh heh, he
would be Dr. Math. ;-) That would really freak his students out. He
normally doesn't use his title (hates it, in fact) but I just bet that
with Math as a last name and how good Dr. Math sounds, he would use it.
heh heh heh
Old July 27th 04, 10:18 PM
Daye

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:33:50 -0700, "Lydia"
wrote:

What can I expect at my dr. visit on Thursday?

Congrats, Lydia. In Australia, I visited my local doctor. He
confirmed the pregnancy (using a urine test). When that is positive,
he orders routine blood work. They test things like whether or not
you are negative to HIV, Hep and other STDs (including syphilis,
which always makes me laugh for some reason). They will also check
your immunity to rubella. At my request, he also confirmed the
pregnancy using a blood test (I don't trust urine tests). My doctor
sent me for a dating scan because I never, ever kept up with my period
was due (this may or may not happen -- if you are unsure, you can
request one).

When I had my first appointment at my hospital at about 8 weeks, I saw
the midwife first (we have midwives in our hospitals). We talked
about the pregnancy and did paperwork. They got my medical history,
any information relating to past pregnancies, my attitudes towards
breastfeeding, and other stuff.

Then about 2 weeks later, I saw the doctor -- he could be an OB,
registrar or intern. They did a regular check to make sure that I was
okay, and my baby was okay.

Then I saw my doctor for the routine prenatal checks.

Since you live in the US, it may be different for you.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold

Introduction Shawn M. J. Mann Pregnancy 11 June 28th 04 09:25 PM
Introduction Elly General 6 October 18th 03 05:23 PM
introduction silivrenglaur Pregnancy 10 October 9th 03 05:05 PM
Hi all..introduction, questions, fears (misc. mentioned) Nancy Verzich Pregnancy 6 September 19th 03 08:16 PM
Introduction Christa Pregnancy 1 August 16th 03 02:39 AM