Good parenting

Old July 21st 03, 06:09 AM
PF Riley

Default Good parenting

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:35:31 -0400, "CBI"
wrote:

"PF Riley" wrote in message

It sounds like you are a wimpy, immature parent who is afraid to apply
any discipline to his children but rationalizes his inaction with the
false notion that he is teaching them "independence" or
"responsibility." Loser.

Insecurity explains much of his behavior.

Hmm... I wonder why. Imagine Roger meeting Freud for a session of
psychoanalysis.

"Tell me about your mother..."

PF
Old July 21st 03, 12:41 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message . ..
"Wendy Marsden" wrote
I've even heard of parents who resent picky eaters LYING to children
about peanuts thinking the kid just doesn't LIKE them and they will like
them if they try them.

No doubt some parents also do the reverse -- tell the kid that some
dessert has peanuts in it just to deter the kid from wanting the dessert.

I just tell the kid the truth. Even a 3-year-old can understand it.

This goes a long way towards explaining why you think the dangers
posed by hot dogs are trivial. Compared to the danger in allowing
an allergic 3-year-old to make her own food decisions, hot dogs
*are* a trivial issue.

Beth
Old July 21st 03, 05:20 PM
Wendy Marsden

Elizabeth Reid wrote:
"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message . ..

I just tell the kid the truth. Even a 3-year-old can understand it.

This goes a long way towards explaining why you think the dangers
posed by hot dogs are trivial. Compared to the danger in allowing
an allergic 3-year-old to make her own food decisions, hot dogs
*are* a trivial issue.

I figured he was just trolling with that comment. I've had three bright,
well-behaved intelligent children who absolutely could not be trusted to
take "the truth" and make adult-like decisions from it at the age of
three. This is so self-evident that I'm wondering if he has ever even HAD
a three year old.

Wendy
Old July 21st 03, 09:14 PM
Wendy Marsden

Roger Schlafly wrote:
"Wendy Marsden" wrote
I've even heard of parents who resent picky eaters LYING to children
about peanuts thinking the kid just doesn't LIKE them and they will like
them if they try them.

No doubt some parents also do the reverse -- tell the kid that some
dessert has peanuts in it just to deter the kid from wanting the dessert.

I just tell the kid the truth. Even a 3-year-old can understand it.

I agree you should tell the truth about peanuts in food. I think you are
undermining her ability to trust you about peanuts if you say something
can't be eaten 'cuz it will kill her when you just don't want her having
another snack before dinner.

But I think you are wrong that a three year old can understand the truth
(and make appropriate decisions from it.)

The reason why you can't let her monitor her own food is that:

1.) You can't trust her to research enough to discover if there really is
some peanut product in it

2.) You can't trust other adults to monitor for peanuts adequately AND

3.) You cannot trust that she will make appropriate decisions from the
information she has, i.e., someday she will get curious about what the
effect REALLY is, or someone will taunt her to try it, or she's be
depressed and thinking, "what the hell, I don't care".

You see, children have poor judgment. It's a hallmark of a child. That's
why kids use guns they KNOW they aren't supposed to touch. That's why
they drink and drive. That's why they do all sorts of stupid **** -
because they make bad decisions.

You are fooling yourself terribly if you thinking that KNOWING the facts
and behaving maturely go hand in hand.

Wendy