Not enough milk and breast shape - cool study

Old January 8th 04, 05:35 PM
Molly Fisher

Default Not enough milk and breast shape - cool study

In my ongoing endeavor to find more information about the condition
called "insufficient glandular tissue" or "insufficient glandular
development" I have finally come across a study that answers a whole
slew of my questions. I posted the complete text and all illustrations
at
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/igt/
"Markers of Lactation Insufficiency: A Study of 34 Mothers," was
published in /Current Issues in Clinical Lactation 2000/ edited by
Kathleen Auerbach, PhD, IBCLC .

It's four years old. I wish I could have come across it sooner, but it
was nowhere to be found on the www. Now it is. :-P

The part I like best is where the study shows that while most IGT moms
have a great deal of trouble in the first weeks, many can produce 100%
of their baby's breastmilk after one month!

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/
Old January 9th 04, 01:31 AM
trich

How does one distinguish between breast hypoplasia (especially
type 2) and simply small ones?

t.

Old January 9th 04, 10:28 AM
Anne Rogers

How does one distinguish between breast hypoplasia (especially
type 2) and simply small ones?

I think it's something to do with the shape, IGT usually has a more
tubular shape with a larger gap between. Normal breasts seem to almost
join together at the base, but the valley greated is very shallow in a
small busted person and tight enough to use as a pen holder in a larger
busted person.

Old January 9th 04, 07:36 PM
trich

It seems that hypoplastic breasts have a disproportionately large
areola for the breast size

My understanding is that it's not always the case, only for some.

a wide intramammary space and are less full in the lower quadrant.

I think that characterizes small breasts, too. I may be wrong, maybe
other women w/ very small breasts can attest differently.

t.

Old January 9th 04, 07:44 PM
trich

Ann Rogers wrote:
I think it's something to do with the shape, IGT usually has a more
tubular shape....

Type 2 in that article doesn't seem that tubular, I think. To me, they
look like small breasts.

Normal breasts seem to almost join together at the base, but the
valley greated is very shallow in a small busted

Really? Almost join together? I need to ask a few small-breasted
people I know. This just piqued my curiosity as someone w/ very
small breasts who had *very* low supply, but managed to increase
it and exclusively BF for 4mon now.

BTW, Ann, how are you doing nowadays? I was following your
ordeal w/ the mastitis, as I was going through a terrible one myself
(days of 105 fever, 21 days on anti-b, ultrasound still shows
inflamed tissue). Hope you are well.

t.

Old January 9th 04, 07:47 PM
trich

Sorry, I misspelled your name, Anne!

t.

Old January 9th 04, 09:03 PM
Anne Rogers

Really? Almost join together? I need to ask a few small-breasted
people I know. This just piqued my curiosity as someone w/ very
small breasts who had *very* low supply, but managed to increase
it and exclusively BF for 4mon now.

I can't commment for myself, I'd say I'm medium sized, I've not seen many
breasts, but those that I have seen and would be considerd small are
shallow mounds that meet in the middle.

BTW, Ann, how are you doing nowadays? I was following your
ordeal w/ the mastitis, as I was going through a terrible one myself
(days of 105 fever, 21 days on anti-b, ultrasound still shows
inflamed tissue). Hope you are well.

I cam of antibiotics last week and it immeadiately flared up again (within
12 hours), I'll finish the current course tomorrow, so we'll see what
happens

Old January 12th 04, 08:41 AM
KC

I was wondering if anyone here has a large space between their breasts
and didn't have any supply issues.

I have always had a large space between my breasts and I did have
definite supply issues just like described in the article, but I think
my breasts are type I breasts. It's actually kind of hard for me to
tell because I have large droopy breasts now, so the nipple looks low
on the breast now, but as a young thin teen I think they looked like
the type I picture. It's hard to remember.

So I was curious about other people's space between their breasts and
the ability to lactate? I always thought my supply problems were
endocrine since I have endocrine issues, but who knows.

KC
Old January 12th 04, 12:35 PM
Sidheag McCormack

kathy claytor writes:

I was wondering if anyone here has a large space between their breasts
and didn't have any supply issues.

Me, I think, depending what you mean by large - I have around an inch
between them (same as pre-pregnancy, though got less during pregnancy). I
don't *think* I have supply issues, though I do feel a bit paranoid because
DS feeds what feels like "so long" - 5 hours/day or more. Still, he's
alert, gaining weight, and producing lots of output, so I think it's all
normal.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old January 12th 04, 01:12 PM
Leslie

I was wondering if anyone here has a large space between their breasts
and didn't have any supply issues.

Me, me! I have a large enough space that even with DD cups I don't have
cleavage. Same as you, I think mine are type I (or once were; they are looking
droopier now!). And although I have never been able to pump, I have
exclusively bf four babies to at least the six month mark, once while
tandemming, and my kids were/are enormous.

Leslie