It's a wrap!

Old January 11th 04, 10:51 AM
Andrea

Default It's a wrap!

I used to post on the OBY-GYN forums, and met a woman on there who got
flamed for taping a blanket round her baby with duct tape.
She has just emailed me as she has now brought a swaddle blanket out show
here;

http://tinyurl.com/2zo4o

I hate the bit where it says "Devan always managed to wriggle free".

What do you think? I guess shes come a way from duct tape!
--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 11th 04, 11:00 AM
Tine Andersen

"Andrea" skrev i en meddelelse
I used to post on the OBY-GYN forums, and met a woman on there who got
flamed for taping a blanket round her baby with duct tape.
She has just emailed me as she has now brought a swaddle blanket out show
here;

http://tinyurl.com/2zo4o

At the hospital - when DS was born - they swaddled him in a duvet and put
tape around. This happened just after his birth (CS) and while they 'put
Humpty Dumpty together again' I held him - tape and all. I couldn't as
easily drop him that way - otherwise he would have been slippery.

I had DH there to help hold him :-)

Tine, Denmark

Old January 11th 04, 01:49 PM
Sue

Andrea wrote in message
I used to post on the OBY-GYN forums, and met a woman on there who got

flamed for taping a blanket round her baby with duct tape.
She has just emailed me as she has now brought a swaddle blanket out show

here;

http://tinyurl.com/2zo4o
I hate the bit where it says "Devan always managed to wriggle free".

What do you think? I guess shes come a way from duct tape!

I think the blanket lookes like a great idea. I'm not sure what you see as a
problem with it. And babies can wiggle out of a swaddled blanket if you
don't put it around tight enough, so again I don't know what it is that is
upsetting to you. I didn't see anything about duct tape in the article. Did
I miss something?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 11th 04, 04:28 PM
Nina

Wow
I hate the duct tape thing, but some babies do better with tight swaddling
The other day my baby accidentally touched her nose in her sleep, startled
herself awake and began wailing like a banshee.
I am not opposed on principle to waddling.
As I've mentioned, I have an autistic kid. They use weighted vests, firm
holds etc to soothe them and help calm them down., Swaddling is the same
thing, sometimes firm all over pressure really helps the nervus system.

Old January 11th 04, 04:30 PM
Nina

"Andrea" wrote in message
"Sue" wrote in message
Andrea wrote in message
[...]

Of course she isn't going to mention duct tape in the article - it's a
promotional article!
I think swaddling a little baby is ok, but a 7 month old that can stand,
crawl and almost walk?

some cultures swaddle up to a year
plus,this is sleepytime swaddling,not 24-7 swaddling
the article sas the product is for babies 4 months and under

I told her to put in a disclaimer that the blanket shouldn't be overused,
no-one should keep their baby swaddled 24-7.

it says that swaddling is reccomended only when baby needs soothing

Old January 11th 04, 04:52 PM
Sue

I wasn't under the impression she was advocating keeping the baby in for
24/7. I took it to mean that she used it for sleeping and when baby is the
most agitated. As for an older baby, some older babies still need to be
swaddled at night for sleeping because they still jerk themselves awake.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Andrea wrote in message
"Sue" wrote in message
Andrea wrote in message
[...]

I am not upset, I just thought it was interesting.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 6 months still nursing

strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 11th 04, 05:06 PM
Andrea

"Andrea" wrote in message
I used to post on the OBY-GYN forums, and met a woman on there who got
flamed for taping a blanket round her baby with duct tape.
She has just emailed me as she has now brought a swaddle blanket out

show
here;

http://tinyurl.com/2zo4o

I hate the bit where it says "Devan always managed to wriggle free".

What do you think? I guess shes come a way from duct tape!
--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing

strong
with 4 teeth!

I don't like the idea myself, Kam sweats a lot so I like him to have loose
blankets so he doesn't overheat.
My son is aspergers, and doesn't need weighted vests. Some autistics hate to
be touched.

Old January 11th 04, 07:18 PM
AskeyKO

Of course she isn't going to mention duct tape in the article - it's a
promotional article!
I think swaddling a little baby is ok, but a 7 month old that can stand,
crawl and almost walk?

Our second son loved to be swaddled up until he was about 7 1/2 mo old. Now
he's a little too active to keep him swaddled, but he still likes to be tucked
in tightly, esp if he's upset or overstimulated. Now that he's almost walking,
I can't really do it, but when he was crawling, swaddling was a great way to
keep him calm enough long enough to sleep. Otherwise, even in his dead-tired
mood, he was trying to practice his new skills.

I told her to put in a disclaimer that the blanket shouldn't be overused,
no-one should keep their baby swaddled 24-7.

There are many cultures who do keep their babies tightly swaddled with no
ill-effects. Some babies in other cultures don't learn to walk until well
after a year or 14 mo b/c of it, but there is no harm in that. Other cultures
encourage walking and unrestricted clothing (if clothed at all) and the babies
almost always walk by 6 or 7 mo. (I read this in my fav book, "Our Babies,
Ourselves" by Meredith Small.)

I am not upset, I just thought it was interesting.

Old January 12th 04, 02:58 AM
Ty

Sue wrote in message ...
I wasn't under the impression she was advocating keeping the baby in for
24/7. I took it to mean that she used it for sleeping and when baby is the
most agitated. As for an older baby, some older babies still need to be
swaddled at night for sleeping because they still jerk themselves awake.

If I don't swaddle Bethany for naps and bedtime she'd never fall asleep! And
she is 15 months old. I never thought I'd swaddle a baby that old. I have a
friend who had to be swaddled until she was two years old.
I didn't discover the need to swaddle her until she was a few months old and
kept flailing and poking at me and putting her feet in my mouth and plain
out fighting sleep. I decided one day to just wrap her in a blanket because
I was tired of her fighting and poking and realized she fell asleep much,
much quicker and with almost no fighting.
Marie

Old January 12th 04, 05:34 PM
Kathy

Andrea wrote:

What do you think? I guess shes come a
way from duct tape!

For my DD, swaddling was a lifesaver...not only for her, but for DH and
me as well.

Our first 1 1/2 months with DD were a nightmare...she never would sleep
for more than 20 minutes at a time, and we were both really losing our
marbles with such a small amount of sleep. DD was not doing well
either...she wasn't getting enough rest, and as a result she was a very
unhappy baby.

DH's Aunt ran across the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book and suggested
it to us. While we didn't necessarily use every piece of advice the
book had to offer, learning how to swaddle properly was a miracle cure
for us. I thought I had tried it before, sort of loosely bundling DD in
a blanket...it never seemed to help. Once I learned to swaddle her with
her arms at her side, pulling the blanket firmly enough to make her feel
really secure it was like a switch was turned on and all of a sudden we
were all getting great sleep.

DD is almost 4 months old, and I still swaddle her for sleep at
night...only I leave her arms free as she has learned to suck her thumb
and comfort herself back to sleep. She is sleeping 8-10 hours a night
straight without waking up (or waking, but soothing herself back to
sleep) and it has been wonderful.

Funny, I said to DH that someone should come up with some sort of
special blanket with velcro or something on it to make swaddling even
easier.

For the record, I never used duct tape nor did I keep DD swaddled all
the time...only as needed to help her fall asleep.

Sorry to run on so long, but DH and I were just saying last night that
we would recommend learning to swaddle to any new mother or father...all
babies are different, but it sure worked for us!

Kathy