Camp

Old March 26th 04, 12:50 AM
Kender

Default Camp

I posted this on the twins ng but thought I could get some help here too.

My girls want to go to a 6 night/seven day camp this summer (August). I am
very hesitant to let them. They went to the camp last summer for one
night/two days and complained that it wasn't long enough. They had a GREAT
time! I have been trying to convince them to no avail to go to another camp
here that is only three nights/four days. The camp they want to go to
doesn't offer a middle stay. I am thinking of just letting them go and
preparing myself for maybe having to pick them up early due to homesickness.
The great thing about twins though is that they will have each other and
they are familiar with the camp since they went last year. I am also worried
that even if they are ready I am not. : ) Also other 7 year olds may not be
ready and there won't be very many people their age at camp. Any advice or
stories to share?
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Old March 26th 04, 03:45 AM
Cathy Kearns

"Kender" wrote in message
[...]

My daughter went for a week at age 7 without any friends, and she did
fine. If they are begging to go maybe they are ready.

Old March 26th 04, 11:31 AM
Donna

"Kender" wrote in message
[...]

My sister and I went to sleep-away camp (two weeks at a time) from the age
of 6 on. We LOVED it. Homesickness is a fact of life, and the counselors
are pretty adept at dealing with it. In ten years of going to that camp, I
never knew of a single person to go home because of homesickness. I think
you should let your daughters go. For those who enjoy summer camps, it's a
truly fabulous time.

Donna

Old March 26th 04, 10:55 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

"Kender" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like they're ready for a week-long camp, but maybe you're not.

DD (6 years old, will be 7 in October) has been begging me to send her
to a week-long resident camp. I also came up with a shorter closer
option (2 night, 3 day camp five miles away) but she rejected it as too
short. When I asked around about this situation, the "older" moms told
me that usually the mothers aren't ready but the kids are. So, I'm
sending her to the longer, farther camp by herself. We'll see what
happens.

Jeanne
Old March 26th 04, 11:28 PM
Karen

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:50:12 GMT, "Kender"
wrote:

[...]

My son went away for a week as an 8-year-old and did fine.

I think your daughters are admirably independent and you should trust
their feelings on this one. After all, like you say, they have each
other.

Relax, mom. :-) I bet they'll have the time of their lives.

Karen
--
The Orange Cat: Calendar, advice & tips for busy families in the San Gabriel Valley
www.theorangecat.org
Old March 27th 04, 10:17 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"Kender" wrote:

I posted this on the twins ng but thought I could get some help here too.

My girls want to go to a 6 night/seven day camp this summer (August). I am
very hesitant to let them. They went to the camp last summer for one
night/two days and complained that it wasn't long enough. They had a GREAT
time! I have been trying to convince them to no avail to go to another camp
here that is only three nights/four days. The camp they want to go to
doesn't offer a middle stay. I am thinking of just letting them go and
preparing myself for maybe having to pick them up early due to homesickness.

If they've already been and liked it, I think they are ready. Don't
jinx them by being negative about expecting homesickness.

The great thing about twins though is that they will have each other and
they are familiar with the camp since they went last year. I am also worried
that even if they are ready I am not. : ) Also other 7 year olds may not be
ready and there won't be very many people their age at camp. Any advice or
stories to share?

grandma Rosalie
Old April 3rd 04, 06:25 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article 87L8c.8938$gA5.125132@attbi_s03,
Kender wrote:
[...]

My oldest went to a 2-week overnight camp a month before his 8th
birthday. He was not the youngest there. The program he was in was
for kids entering 2nd and 3rd grades. He didn't know *anyone* else
going, but he loved it has gone for 4 weeks every summer since. My now
7yo will be going to the same 2 week program this summer, just after he
turns 8. So, my boys were/ will be several months older than your
daughters would be, but as you say, they will have each other, and it's
a shorter program.. Also, they have been before so they have a good
idea what they will be doing. Our camp *strongly* advises parents
*not* to tell the kids that they will pick them up if they are
homesick. Apparently, if a little homesickness (perfectly normal) sets
in, kids who have been told this are less likely to work through it.
I would ask the camp if there will be other girls their age though.
What ages is the program/group they would be in intended for?

I think you will miss them more than they miss you. But I also think
camp is an incredible experience for kids. If they are asking to go,
I would let them. Send some letters before they even leave so they will
get them while at camp especially since it is so short.

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
Support a family business and learn about the technologies underlying
the Internet with the TCP/IP Guide! http://www.tcpipguide.com

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt