Wisdom tooth removal w/out general anesthesia?

Old October 9th 03, 03:14 AM
Tracy Cramer

Default Wisdom tooth removal w/out general anesthesia?

My DS#1 is supposed to have his wisdom teeth out soon, but I found out that he's
only having a local anesthetic with IV sedation, rather than general anesthetic.
His teeth are not impacted -- yet -- so I don't think this is going to be a huge
deal, but I wanted to see if others had experience with having wisdom teeth
removed like this.

I had mine taken out when I was 17 but I was put under. I'm a terrible wimp when
it comes to stuff with my mouth, so this was the best way for me. I'm horrified
by the idea of actually being awake during this procedure, so I need to hear
from folks that have had it done like this and found it to be no big deal.

FWIW, DS has no issues about dentists and he's not easily grossed out. He also
has a high pain tolerance.

TIA,

Tracy
======================================
We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!
======================================
Old October 9th 03, 03:34 AM
JennP

"Tracy Cramer" wrote in message
My DS#1 is supposed to have his wisdom teeth out soon, but I found out

that he's
only having a local anesthetic with IV sedation, rather than general

anesthetic.
His teeth are not impacted -- yet -- so I don't think this is going to be

a huge
deal, but I wanted to see if others had experience with having wisdom

teeth
removed like this.

Yes. I had my wisdoms removed this way about 12 years ago. I can tell you I
don't remember a thing, and didn't feel a single thing either.

I have had two very recent experiences (not oral related) with local +
sedation and it was just fine. I didn't feel anything and don't remember
anything. In fact, I woke up both times *literally* asking for more! This
last time though, I guess I did get a little defiant, I tried to get up off
the table twice and they wanted none of that! HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 9th 03, 03:35 AM
B&S

[...]

I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed without being "put under" about 20
years ago, and everything went just fine. I didn't even have IV sedation,
just gas and local anesthesia.

The worst part was throwing up later that day after taking Percocet... When
I stuck with the tylenol I was just fine...

Just *my* experience, though.

Shelly

TIA,

Tracy
======================================

Old October 9th 03, 04:10 AM
LFortier

Tracy Cramer wrote:
My DS#1 is supposed to have his wisdom teeth out soon, but I found out that he's
only having a local anesthetic with IV sedation, rather than general anesthetic.
His teeth are not impacted -- yet -- so I don't think this is going to be a huge
deal, but I wanted to see if others had experience with having wisdom teeth
removed like this.

I had mine out when I was 16 or so. Somehow the numbskull
oral surgeon didn't make clear that a general was the
preferred method, so I had eaten my "last breakfast" - and
as a result, couldn't be put under. So I had four removed
with laughing gas and novacaine. It was pretty miserable,
and I wish I could have been out, but I got through it, and
I am pretty wimpy.

Good luck-
Lesley

Old October 9th 03, 04:22 AM
toypup

[...]

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth that took hours and hours to remove and it was
all done under a local anesthetic, nothing else. They had to do it on two
separate days. It didn't hurt, but my jaw was so exhausted from being held
open, that it started shaking uncontrollably towards the end and the dentist
had to put a wedge in my mouth to keep it still. I also started to nod off,
but it wasn't because of medication, I was just so sleepy and bored. The
dentist said my case was a difficult one because the way the teeth were
impacted. Anyway, I didn't have any sort of sedation or general anesthetic.
My ob doc said I have a high pain tolerance.

Old October 9th 03, 04:34 AM
Marion Baumgarten

Tracy Cramer wrote:

My DS#1 is supposed to have his wisdom teeth out soon, but I found out
that he's only having a local anesthetic with IV sedation, rather than
general anesthetic. His teeth are not impacted -- yet -- so I don't think
this is going to be a huge deal, but I wanted to see if others had
experience with having wisdom teeth removed like this.

I had mine taken out when I was 17 but I was put under. I'm a terrible
wimp when it comes to stuff with my mouth, so this was the best way for
me. I'm horrified by the idea of actually being awake during this
procedure, so I need to hear from folks that have had it done like this
and found it to be no big deal.

FWIW, DS has no issues about dentists and he's not easily grossed out. He
also has a high pain tolerance.

I had mine out about 20 or so years ago with an IV (sodium pentathol?)
and maybe some novacaine. I remeber being awake during the procedure and
actually found it kind of interesting. "Like , wow, they're slicing
through my gums and I don't feel a thing and I don't care."
Old October 9th 03, 05:28 AM
elizabeth emerald

[...]

i had mine out 15 yrs ago (was i a teenager that long ago???). they were
quite impacted. i had just happy gas & lots of local needles in the gums.
there was no pain, even from the locals (and i am really scared of needles).
i could feel the pressure when each tooth was removed. the dentist would
grab onto it, turn turn & then rip. but definitely no pain. i am not
squeamish & i found the whole thing quite interesting. after it all wore off
there was soreness but not unbearable. think i took panadeine forte for it.
i kept the teeth as well. still have them.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old October 9th 03, 08:53 AM
Herself

Marion Baumgarten wrote:

I had mine out about 20 or so years ago with an IV (sodium pentathol?)
and maybe some novacaine. I remeber being awake during the procedure and
actually found it kind of interesting. "Like , wow, they're slicing
through my gums and I don't feel a thing and I don't care."

That was like mine...I had 2 out, I think :-). Over 10 years ago, only
a local. The only thing I remember from it was feeling my tooth break
when the dentist pushed. Weird. That and playing with the hole in my
mouth with my tongue.
--
'Tis Herself
Old October 9th 03, 01:06 PM
Cindy Kandolf

Tracy Cramer writes:
| My DS#1 is supposed to have his wisdom teeth out soon, but I found out that he's
| only having a local anesthetic with IV sedation, rather than general anesthetic.
| His teeth are not impacted -- yet -- so I don't think this is going to be a huge
| deal, but I wanted to see if others had experience with having wisdom teeth
| removed like this.

I had three wisdom teeth removed about eight years ago, with only
local anesthetic. Now, I get grossed out pretty easily, and since one
of the teeth was badly impacted and had to be removed in pieces I
found the whole experience disgusting. But the pain during the
procedure was nothing, and recovery was about what you'd expect for
any wisdom tooth removal: very sore for about two days, and about a
week more before everything felt normal again.

Looking back, some sort of light sedation might have been a good idea,
as I was really ooked by the whole thing and tend to think about it
way too much in the waiting room at the dentist's even now! But I
wouldn't have wanted the risk of general anesthesia, and if IV
sedation would have been as dangerous (I have no idea), I would have
elected to go without.

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (9) and Robby (3)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old October 9th 03, 01:25 PM
Joy

I had two wisdom teeth removed with only novacaine. One had to be cut
out, but I couldn't feel anything. I could hear noises, but I found it
more interesting than disgusting. It was no big deal! Recovery wasn't
a huge deal either. I ended up lying around for a day and only took
extra strength tylenol a couple times.

Joy

http://community.webtv.net/joybelle15/ROSESCLUBFOOTPAGE