14 months and not walking

Old February 15th 05, 04:05 PM
Neil Rutman

Default 14 months and not walking

My 14 month old son though advanced in several areas does not seem to be
close to walking. My wife and I are becoming concerned based on what we read
on the internet. He can stand while holding on to something but does not
"pull up" to get to standing position nor has he an inclination to pull up.
When he is standing he does not have an inclination to cruise.

Internet research says that babies that don't crawl in the traditional way
(he scoots) often have this problem. Does anyone have any relatable info
they care to pass on on this matter? We're going to set up an appointment
with pediatrician but can use any insights you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Neil R

Old February 15th 05, 04:05 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Neil Rutman" wrote in message
My 14 month old son though advanced in several areas does not seem to be
close to walking. My wife and I are becoming concerned based on what we
read on the internet. He can stand while holding on to something but does
not "pull up" to get to standing position nor has he an inclination to
pull up. When he is standing he does not have an inclination to cruise.

Internet research says that babies that don't crawl in the traditional way
(he scoots) often have this problem. Does anyone have any relatable info
they care to pass on on this matter? We're going to set up an appointment
with pediatrician but can use any insights you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Neil R

My 16 mo DD was a scooter. She did not pull up until late. She only started
really walking within the last month. She would walk between adults and
sort of lunge the last bit. But she never/rarely set out on her own. Then
one magic day, soon after she went to the next room at daycare where all the
kids were walking, she just started. It was like she had some motivation and
POW...

I think getting the ped's opinion is a good idea.

Old February 15th 05, 04:32 PM
karlisa

Although each child develops at his or her own pace, it sometimes is good to
have your doctor look at your child. My son is developmentally delayed in
all areas, especially with his gross motor skills. When we initially
suspected a problem with this, family and friend dismissed our concerns.
I'm glad I persisted, as my son received much-needed services at an early
age (7 months). If your pediatrician doesn't see a problem but you still
have your doubts, you can always request to be sent to a developmental
pediatrician who specializes in infant/child development. Good luck!

--
lisa
micksmom

Old February 15th 05, 04:47 PM
goofeegyrl

Have you talked to your ped about it? DD1 started pulling up and
cruising at 7 months but did not walk until 15 months.

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 3.5
and Eva, 1

Old February 15th 05, 04:54 PM
Melania

Neil Rutman wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure about the scooting vs. crawling thing - ds scooted until
he learned to crawl (from 8-10 mo), and then didn't learn to walk till
15 mo. He was/is a very big, heavy kid, and anecdotally people were
always telling me that the big ones walk and crawl later than the
spritely smaller ones.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old February 15th 05, 06:24 PM
hekitchen

Neil,

My DS didn't start walking until 16 months & he didn't pull up or anything
until a few days before. It's not a bad idea to get your pediatricians
opinion. If mine hadn't started walking by his 18 month visit (which is
tomorrow), his pediatrician & I were going to have a talk about it.

Heather

Old February 15th 05, 07:10 PM
Circe

Neil Rutman wrote:
My 14 month old son though advanced in several areas does not seem to

be
close to walking. My wife and I are becoming concerned based on what

we read
on the internet. He can stand while holding on to something but does

not
"pull up" to get to standing position nor has he an inclination to

pull up.
When he is standing he does not have an inclination to cruise.

Internet research says that babies that don't crawl in the

traditional way
(he scoots) often have this problem. Does anyone have any relatable

info
they care to pass on on this matter? We're going to set up an

appointment
with pediatrician but can use any insights you may have.

I have a daughter with a gross motor delay. She's now 5yo and her motor
delays aren't particularly noticeable any more, but when she was your
son's age, she didn't move at all--she progressed to sitting at about 7
months of age and then made no additional motor progress at all for the
next 7 months. In my experience, it's not the failure to gain any
particular skill at a particular age that's crucial so much as a
failure to see progress/change in the skills your baby has. It's not
necessarily abnormal for a baby to plateau for short periods of time
when it comes to gaining motor skills, but if your baby has been at
this particular stage of motor development for more than few months
without adding any skills, it's certainly a cause for concern.

In my daughter's case, physical therapy was like magic. She started
physical therapy at 16.5 months of age and learned to crawl within two
weeks of starting (that was my Christmas present that year g!). From
that point on, she made fairly rapid progress and walked at 22 months.

In your case, it sounds like you are on the right track. If you're
concerned, consult your pediatrician. It never hurts to be concerned.
You might also look into having an independent evaluation performed by
the early intervention services in your area (assuming you're in the
States, early intervention services are funded by the state for
children 0-3yo; contact your local school district if you don't know
whom to contact).
--
Be well, Barbara

Old February 15th 05, 08:02 PM
tristyn

Neil Rutman wrote:
My 14 month old son though advanced in several areas does not seem to
be close to walking.

I second Circe's advice, and FWIW, my son was a really late walker (18
months - so 14 seems pretty early to me still!). My son doesn't have any
developmental delays, he was just a: a lot more interested in fine motor
skills for a long time and b: a big, tall baby, and those babies tend to
walk later.

If you're concerned, it wouldn't hurt to visit the ped, but 14 months isn't
really late for walking.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net