Washing light-up shoes.

Old April 8th 05, 09:29 PM
dejablues

"Hierophant" wrote in message
oups.com...
I believe light up sneakers light up do to chemicals being placed under
pressure. Those chemichals are sealed tight. I think you can clean
them like you would any other sneaker.

Not really :

"
Light-up shoes were originally made with mercury tilt switches. Mercury
created a very reliable switch but so many shoes were ending up in the
landfill that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banned mercury as
a switch for two reasons. It considered mercury hazardous to the wearer and
a hazardous waste in the environment.

Next, designers substituted a plastic tab depressed by the weight of the
wearer. They were environmentally safe, but not reliable. The plastic would
fatigue and the light would come on and stay on until the batteries were
discharged.

Today, some shoes have motion-activated lighting modules that feature a red
brake light when the walker is in the process of coming to a complete stop.
Some have removable and interchangeable light-emitting diode (LED)
cartridges. Some designs have replaceable batteries.

When shopping for light-up shoes, first look for the US copy patent number
on the inside tongue. Then visit the US patent website (see address under
Resources) and search for the patent number."

http://www.snopud.com/Education/Educ...ctivities/Flas
hyFootwear.ashx?p=2146

Old April 9th 05, 02:59 AM
Jeannie

dejablues wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

Jeannie wrote in
:

Are kids' shoes with blinking lights washable? My daughter
had a pee accident in them. Simple surface washing is not an
option.

sure it is. pee isn't a big deal unless she's ill. if you're
worried about an odor, surface wash with an enzyme product like
Nature's Miracle (available at pet stores), but usually toddler
pee doesn't have any residual odor, IME.

If she was standing up, and pee'd down her legs, filling the

insides of the
shoes with urine, they'd need more than surface washing. Those spongy
innersoles can hold a lot of liquid!

She was standing up and pee was going down into her shoes. This was
actually the second time she had an accident in her shoes. The
first time was at her daycare, and when I got there to pick her up,
it didn't seem like much, so I just let it dry. The second time,
the new pee really brought out the smell of the old pee.

I realized that worrying over washing blinking shoes was silly. If
the lights stopped working, it would not be a big deal. I still
would have functional shoes. I'll try the washing machine method
and see how it turns out.

Thanks to all,
--
Jeannie
E-mail: jeannie at talisweb dot see oh em
Old April 9th 05, 10:41 PM
Jeannie

Jeannie wrote:
I realized that worrying over washing blinking shoes was silly. If the
lights stopped working, it would not be a big deal. I still would have
functional shoes. I'll try the washing machine method and see how it
turns out.

Follow-up:
I washed the shoes in hot water, full cycle in the washing machine
using a delicates net.
The shoes still blink as they did before the wash.

Old April 12th 05, 02:23 AM
Tracey

"enigma" wrote in message
Jeannie wrote in
:
i'm looking for a new pair of light up shoes for a boy, preschool
size 11, NOT sports related. he had dump truck ones, but all i can
seem to find now have sports theme (yeah, i'm picky. i dislike
sports everything on boy's clothes. not all boys care about
sports)

\

We have some (not size 11, ours are size 6, but they did have bigger ones at
the time) with Elmo and Cookie monster on them which came from Target.

Old April 12th 05, 10:08 PM
enigma

"Tracey" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message

i'm looking for a new pair of light up shoes for a boy,
preschool
size 11, NOT sports related. he had dump truck ones, but all
i can seem to find now have sports theme

We have some (not size 11, ours are size 6, but they did have
bigger ones at the time) with Elmo and Cookie monster on them
which came from Target.

the dump truck ones were from Target. he outgrew 2 pairs of them,
but the ones our Target has had since last fall are the sports
ones. oh well.
lee

What type of shoes does your infant wear? Carol Ann Pregnancy 48 December 18th 04 09:53 AM
Baby's first walking shoes AnnaS General 25 February 15th 04 12:04 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 07:57 PM
Are you looking for Cute Baby and Children's Shoes? Michelle Breastfeeding 0 July 13th 03 02:31 PM
Are you looking for Cute Baby and Children's Shoes? Michelle Breastfeeding 0 July 13th 03 02:31 PM