Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

Old January 8th 04, 07:05 AM
Jon Walters

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

Paul wrote:

http://archive.thebrunswicknews.com/...ws%0A%09%09%09

Hopefully the link above works, I found this while cruising the web. Not two
weeks after christmas and two children in this sleepy little town have
already been hit by cars while riding scooters that their best friends
(parents) indulged them with this holiday season.

IMO, these parents should be held civilly and criminally liable for the
damage to the vehicles that these children of theirs caused.

I have witnessed these children on numerous occasions lately breaking nearly
every traffic law imaginable except for speeding on these things - which I
assume these scooters are not capable of. Among the violations and/or
dangerous acts I have seen my self include disregard for traffic signals,
disregard for stop signs, riding on sidewalks, riding on the wrong side of
the road and darting in and out of traffic and otherwise acting in an
unpredictable manner. Also, (atleast in GA), these kids are violating the
law simply by taking these scooters on public rights of way since they must
be at least 15 years of age to operate one off private property and they
must also have a DL or Learner's Permit.

It would be nice if the police would start to crack down on these idiot
kids - hitting their parents in the pocketbook would be a good start.

rant off

--
Paul

First of all -- the kids of this generation are spoiled
and "do no wrong" in the eyes of their parents. They are
right and you are wrong .... especially when a 13 year old
wanted $40 to shovel the snow from my sidewalk recently. I
told the kid I'll give him $10 and he walked away. Good. I'll
wait until it melts before I pay that much.

About 7-8 teens (12-15) received these motor cycles/scooters
this Christmas and they ride (speed) up and down the street
and don't even use helmets! The law here requires helmets
for bicycles so you'd think the parents would demand they
wear them .... but they (kids) always get "their way" but
this will change when one of them is seriously hurt! They even
ride through this neighborhood at night with no lights attached
to their motor cycles. Where are the parents?

Jon
Old January 8th 04, 04:21 PM
Cathy Weeks

Jon Walters wrote in message ...

First of all -- the kids of this generation are spoiled
and "do no wrong" in the eyes of their parents. They are
right and you are wrong .... especially when a 13 year old
wanted $40 to shovel the snow from my sidewalk recently. I
told the kid I'll give him $10 and he walked away. Good. I'll
wait until it melts before I pay that much.

Ah, so you think just because he's 13, he ought to do it for less than
an amount that he considers worth his time? He doesn't owe you
service. The only thing I can think of is that he might not have been
polite, and that's the only thing that he might have done wrong. But,
I've seen people like you grump over the polite ones, too.

Shoveling snow is hard work, and it's no fun. And if you contract
with an agency that does stuff like that, they charge $75. So you
should either pay up or shut up and do it yourself.

I've heard this so many time before...old codgers who think the
neighbor kids owe them labor for cheap. And for whatever reason, it's
always over shoveling snow.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old January 8th 04, 04:44 PM
Beth Kevles

My grandmother's neighbor used to shovel her snow for her every winter,
a pretty big job where she lived! She commented one year that she could
tell he was growing up, because he still shoveled her snow but no longer
charged her for it. I think he started shoveling for her when he was
about 10 or 11, and stopped charging when he was about 16 or so.

Kids do need a way to earn money when they're too young to take a
regular job. ANd I've always thought hard physical labor was worth
paying for, if done well.

If your 13 year old neighbor seems to be charging too much, look at how
much walkway you have to get cleared. Consider how long it ought to
take him to do a good job, and in your own head work out a fair hourly
rate. Then negotiate, and include both how much you think the job is
worth, and what the job specifically entails. Do you want just a narrow
path, or the full walkway uncovered? Does it include the full sidewalk
in front of your property as well as the walkway? A walkway to the back
or garage? The driveway? Does he put out salt or dirt as well? For
labor of this demanding nature, we figure on a wage equivalent to $7 or
$8 per hour with a $10 minimum.

So given all that, was $40 really out of line? If only by a little,
perhaps you could work on teaching the child how to negotiate, and throw
in some hot apple cider on completion.

Just my thoughts,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 8th 04, 04:50 PM
Demetrius XXIV and the Gladiatores

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:05:03 -0500, Jon Walters
wrote:

About 7-8 teens (12-15) received these motor cycles/scooters
this Christmas and they ride (speed) up and down the street
and don't even use helmets! The law here requires helmets
for bicycles so you'd think the parents would demand they
wear them .... but they (kids) always get "their way" but
this will change when one of them is seriously hurt! They even
ride through this neighborhood at night with no lights attached
to their motor cycles. Where are the parents?

I'll tell you where... they've been stupidified by our nanny
government (both liberal and Konservative) and are incapable of using
common sense. They need someone to pass a law and regulate their lives
otherwise it doesn't occur to them.

The scooters are new, so they don't think they're as dangerous as
motorcycles/bicycles. When their kid goes brain dead after smashing
their skull on an a-pilar, they'll show up all teary eyed on Oprah
talking about those murderscooters.

"If I only knew... Oprah, if I can only reach all those mothers out
there. If I can only save the life of one child..."

Oh yes and don't forget the multi-million dollar study and
appropriations to law enforcement so they can form "scooter patrols"
with a cute slogan imploring you to follow the new law.

Useful George Bush stats:

Born 1946
Graduated 1975 (29 years to attain Masters)
First known job 1989 (bought Texas Rangers with daddy's money)
Old January 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Banty

In article , Cathy Weeks says...

[...]

Yep. Like any contractor, he states a price, and the OP agrees or not. If it's
obviously high, it can be one of several reasons. Perhaps the kid doesn't know
the market. OK - he'll learn or lose out and go into another business. Maybe
it's becuase it's a loooong walkway to shovel. Maybe it's because he know what
the professionals *do* charge (would be awful high in my area, but I don't know
the OP's area) and he's going to charge what they charge (and why not? - did the
OP ectually expect a cheaper rate?). Finally, he may not *want* to do this job,
except if it's very lucrative for him, and is coming in with the high bid -
which is something real contractors do all the time. Especially if they can
tell they build be building/working/whatever on a difficult job.

So all the OP has to do is say "no deal". Which he did. Now as to what the
actual problem is......????

Banty

Old January 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Banty

In article , Demetrius XXIV and the
Gladiatores says...

wrote:

[...]

You forgot - the law that will be passed, inevitably named "(Oprah's guest's
deceased or brain-gorked kid's name)'s Law"

Cheers,
Banty

Old January 8th 04, 06:05 PM
Thumper

Paul wrote:

http://archive.thebrunswicknews.com/...ws%0A%09%09%09

snip

You sound like my Mom. She REFUSED to let me have a mini bike when I was 12.

Thumper

Old January 8th 04, 06:15 PM
Thumper

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Oh Jeezuz, another overindulged maniac.

Thumper

Sons,

Paul III 29, Film Technician and Musician

William 22, Math Major and College Math Tutor, soon to be a High School
Math Teacher.

Old January 8th 04, 06:20 PM
Thumper

"Scott in Aztlán" wrote in message
On 8 Jan 2004 07:21:05 -0800, (Cathy Weeks)

wrote:

Jon Walters wrote in message

especially when a 13 year old
wanted $40 to shovel the snow from my sidewalk recently. I
told the kid I'll give him $10 and he walked away. Good. I'll
wait until it melts before I pay that much.

Ah, so you think just because he's 13, he ought to do it for less than
an amount that he considers worth his time?

It has nothing to do with his age. It has everything to do with his own
overinflated opinion of the value of his unskilled labor. $40 for half an

hour's
work? How many years of education and experience does the typical

professional
have to accumulate before he can earn $80/hour?

Shoveling snow is hard work, and it's no fun. And if you contract
with an agency that does stuff like that, they charge $75.

Or you can hire Jose down in front of Home Depot to do it for $10/hour.

I've heard this so many time before...old codgers who think the
neighbor kids owe them labor for cheap.

Wow, talk about your biases coloring your perceptions! Where did you get

the
idea that Jon believes the neighbor kid OWES him ANYTHING? All I saw was
someone who refused to be overcharged for a mindless, menial task

requiring no
skills to perform.

OBTW, I feel that I should be paid $50 for each of your USENET messages

that I
read. I feel that anything less than that is not worth my time. What's

your
address so I can send you my bill?

--
I contribute to charity by not needing it.

I just paid a migrant worker $1000.00 to fix my long suffering roof. No
roofing company's would even consider it. It took franscisco about 4 hours
and about 50.00 in materials. I would have gladly paid him $2000.00.

$40.00 is just not a lot of money, unless your a Republican business owner
trying to keep your workers down so you can make even more money for
yourself.

Thumper.

Thumper

Old January 8th 04, 06:27 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
(Cathy Weeks) wrote:

[...]

Not always. Many years ago, I was a much in demand babysitter. I sat
for a new family in the neighborhood without stating a price up front,
and was stunned to get paid about 1/3 of the going rate. When that
neighbor called again, I told her my normal hourly rate (actually, since
she had 6 kids who were, um, challenging, the price I quoted was about
twice my normal hourly rate), and she told me that she would only pay
what she'd paid before, so I turned the job down. She called my mother
to complain that I was a lazy, spoiled teenager who was turning down
legitimate work! Fortunately, Mom knew what was going on, and told her
that I didn't need to work for pitifully low wages -- if she wanted me,
she'd have to pay what I was worth.

I think my cousins got $5 per sidewalk when they were doing it about 40
years ago; they invested in a snow blower, so they could take on more
clients, and did very well. I no longer live where snow happens, but
I'm guessing the "going rate" for shoveling is WELL above $10!

meh