How do I use an old Gerry Backpack

Old February 28th 04, 11:58 AM
gusthebluefish

Default How do I use an old Gerry Backpack

I picked up a very old Gerry backpack. It is a blue canvas sling on an
aluminium frame, shoulder straps but no waist strap. It has an
adjustable flap inside, which we assume is the baby height adjustment,
is this correct? There is a strap and buckle on the inside left of
the seat and a loop on the other side. What are these for? Is this
backpack suitable for a 6month old to take him hiking thru the
mountains? Does anyone know the maximum weight limit for these?
Fiona
Old February 28th 04, 02:48 PM
Sophie

"gusthebluefish" wrote in message
m...
I picked up a very old Gerry backpack. It is a blue canvas sling on an
aluminium frame, shoulder straps but no waist strap. It has an
adjustable flap inside, which we assume is the baby height adjustment,
is this correct? There is a strap and buckle on the inside left of
the seat and a loop on the other side. What are these for? Is this
backpack suitable for a 6month old to take him hiking thru the
mountains? Does anyone know the maximum weight limit for these?
Fiona

They're hard to explain but the strap and loop goes around the child's
chest. Mine was old too (got it at a yardsale). I'd say maximum weight is
when you can't carry him like that anymore. Is he tall enough at 6 months
to sit in it and look around?

Old February 28th 04, 04:26 PM
Mary Gordon

I had one I bought 13 years ago, when we had our first child. It had
an aluminum frame that had a hinged piece on the back so you could
stand the whole thing up to take baby in and out. It was a blue nylon
canvas thing - extremely tough. After it went through my three kids, I
gave it away, still in very good condition. It had the inner sling
seat you describe - the purpose of that is to be able to position baby
higher (i.e. a smaller baby or child will sit too low without it, and
a bigger kid needs to sit lower). It DID have a padded waist belt,
which is really important to keep the weight off your shoulders, and
I'm willing to bet money yours had one and its gone.

Mine was good to 40 lb in theory, but 40 lb of squirming, leg
swinging, head whacking kid was too much for this mom to cart too
often.

I loved that thing - very, very handy for grocery shopping, yard work,
house work so you have your hands free. It was better for me than a
sling, since baby was out of the way. Kids did pull my hair a lot
though, and my hubbies leather jacket had its collar thoroughly chewed
a few times.

I found one for sale on auction - sorry this isn't a good picture, but
this one is identical to the one I had - is this like the one you got?
You can see part of the waist belt at the bottom.

Mary G.
Mom of three (now 13, 10 and 6)
Old February 29th 04, 12:44 PM
gusthebluefish

Well we gave the thing a test run today. Nothing too strenuous. A 4 km walk
(about 2 1/2 miles). Our 6 month old (Daniel) is fairly big for his age and
reasonably strong. We started off with the baby height up high which he
seemed to like ok. Problem was he tended to try and stand up and there isn't
much back support so was inclined to start to lean right backwards. So we
tried lowering the heigh so he sat a bit lower but didn't really like this
much. One thing was that the belt at the top was then cutting under his
arms. So we swapped and put our 2 year old (Alex) in it and Daniel in our
other carrier (an Evenflow TrailTech - pretty good). To cut a long story
short, we have at least discovered the load limit of this thing. Somewhere
less than a 15 kg (30 lb) 2 year old! The harness strap broke. Oh well.

I have put some pictures up so you can see what it looks like. You can view
them at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~fami...n/BabyCarrier/

Looking closer I don't think it ever had a waist strap and probably wasn't
meant for a child as big as Alex. It's a bit wierd though. The leg holes are
not at the bottom of the carrier, so with the height set down, the childs
legs are up higher than his bum. I bit like sitting in a bucket. The top
strap still didn't seem to make much sense. We tried it wrapped around the
child as well as behind as a bit of a back rest as there isn't much back
support in it.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. We might go back to the Kapoochi for a
while. Daniel seems to like sitting out front rather than on the back at the
moment anyway.

cheers
Andrew (& Fiona)