Do you support educational vouchers in schools?

Old June 2nd 05, 05:57 PM
Don

"Charlie Self" wrote
we have published numerous books on homeschooling

From one of your earlier posts. If you didn't write book, what books

did you "publish"?

?

Old June 2nd 05, 06:07 PM
Don

"dragonlady" wrote
Why is it you think the city "owes" you a paved road in front of your
house?

Where did I ever claim that?
The street was already here when we built our home 3 years ago but it was
full of potholes, trash was everywhere and the paving was very thin as it
was installed in the early 60's. No one else lives on this street. I cleaned
up the trash, filled the potholes and then repaved the whole street. Street
maintenance is paid for with property tax, which we paid.

Aren't you the person that claimed to pay property tax through your rent?
If so, then its no wonder all of this is difficult for you to understand.

And where is the limit to that?

Ask the politicians, as they are the people that make the rules.
Unfortunately they are also the people that don't obey the rules.

Someone has to make decisions about how the limited $$ gets spent; it
makes more sense to me that the people we elect makes these decisions --
not individuals.

So, if they collect money to pave the road and then don't do it, then what?
I doubt that you would be so gratuitous if you actually paid property tax.

Old June 2nd 05, 06:15 PM
Banty

In article k.net, Don says...

"dragonlady" wrote
Why is it you think the city "owes" you a paved road in front of your
house?

Where did I ever claim that?
The street was already here when we built our home 3 years ago but it was
full of potholes, trash was everywhere and the paving was very thin as it
was installed in the early 60's. No one else lives on this street. I cleaned
up the trash, filled the potholes and then repaved the whole street. Street
maintenance is paid for with property tax, which we paid.

OK - one street, which I take was a public (town or county or whatever) street.
The POINT all along was - do you or do you not drive on roads paid for by taxes.
Think the street this turns onto or leads onto. THe public pays for streets
for you to ride on, no?

Aren't you the person that claimed to pay property tax through your rent?
If so, then its no wonder all of this is difficult for you to understand.

And where is the limit to that?

Ask the politicians, as they are the people that make the rules.
Unfortunately they are also the people that don't obey the rules.

Someone has to make decisions about how the limited $$ gets spent; it
makes more sense to me that the people we elect makes these decisions --
not individuals.

So, if they collect money to pave the road and then don't do it, then what?
I doubt that you would be so gratuitous if you actually paid property tax.

Appeal to the town? Possbily, sue? Did you go through those steps?

I get this Paul-Harvey-Rest-of-the-Story feeling about this road paving thing..

But I do about just about all of your stuff (that part of it which is cogent at
all, that is..)

Banty

Old June 2nd 05, 06:37 PM
Joe

Take woodworking out of your send to group. We don't care about vouchers.

"Don" wrote in message
link.net...
"Charlie Self" wrote
we have published numerous books on homeschooling

From one of your earlier posts. If you didn't write book, what books

did you "publish"?

?

Old June 2nd 05, 07:37 PM
Nan

Here's a better idea.... either killfile the posters, or the entire
thread.
When people respond, they don't know where the originating post came
from, so it makes sense to include all groups.

Nan

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:37:31 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

Take woodworking out of your send to group. We don't care about vouchers.

"Don" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Charlie Self" wrote
we have published numerous books on homeschooling

From one of your earlier posts. If you didn't write book, what books
did you "publish"?

?

Old June 3rd 05, 01:18 PM
enigma

Banty wrote in
:

[...]

wait... he says he has the only house on the street. doesn't
he also live in Mass? there's a good possibility his road is a
class 6 (not town maintained).

Aren't you the person that claimed to pay property tax
through your rent? If so, then its no wonder all of this is
difficult for you to understand.

And where is the limit to that?

Ask the politicians, as they are the people that make the
rules. Unfortunately they are also the people that don't
obey the rules.

Someone has to make decisions about how the limited $$
gets spent; it makes more sense to me that the people we
elect makes these decisions -- not individuals.

So, if they collect money to pave the road and then don't
do it, then what? I doubt that you would be so gratuitous
if you actually paid property tax.

Appeal to the town? Possbily, sue? Did you go through
those steps?

I get this Paul-Harvey-Rest-of-the-Story feeling about this
road paving thing..

a lot of New England towns have class 6 roads. they may or
may not have ever been paved, but they are not maintained by
the towns. they no longer pave or plow them (or fill in the
mudholes with gravel or grade or...). if you buy a house on a
class 6 road, you do the maintainance or it doesn't get done.
if you have neighbors on the road & they agree, you may be
able to get them to pay for a share of maintainance costs.
maybe.
i had a house that was the only house on a class 6 road & i
just viewed it as a really long driveway when i sold the
house, it was made *very* clear to the buyer that the road was
NOT town maintained (this is actually important because you
have to keep certain road clearances in order to be able to
get fire & rescue vehicles to your house). they were still
pretty stupid & insistant that even though *we* said the road
was class 6, the town *would* maintain it for *them*. yeah,
right...
lee
Old June 3rd 05, 11:37 PM

Don wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don wrote:

Well, it cost $600 to pave the road myself, and I paid over $3k in
taxes, so I think I have some change coming back.
Now, what was that you were saying about me wanting you to pay for it?

Ah. I think I get it.
You're arguing that the City owed you good paved road in front of your
house, and because they refused to do it, you got it done. So they owe
you the $600 back.

Rather as if you were a tenant in an apartment, and you had some
essential repairs made because the landlord wasn't making them? Then
the landlord would owe you the cost of the repairs?

Is that what you meant?

Sort of, but not exactly.
It's more like this:
I moved into an apartment and the landlord told me he'd have new carpet
installed for $3800.00, so I paid him the $3800.00. Then after living there
for 2 years the landlord still had not installed the carpet. So I purchased
a lessor quality carpet for $600.00 and installed it myself. Does the
landlord owe me any money and if so how much?

Is that a good analogy, though? It would be if the 3K in taxes that
you paid were ear-marked specifically and only for maintaining that
particular road. If it was for other uses as well, then perhaps this
was one they didn't get round to?

I mean, suppose you moved into an apartment, and you paid the landlord
$3800 toward general repairs, maintenance, and security for the whole
building (each tenant contributes). You figured it should include new
carpet for your apartment. He says that by the time he repainted the
walls and changed the hallway carpet and put in new the drapes, there
wasn't enough left for the individual apartment carpet. You then paid
$600 to change the carpet...now, who is supposed to pay whom?

Also, there is one further matter -- the city is not your landlord, in
that it is not a profit-maker. It's more like, instead of a landlord,
it's a tenant's co-operative that maintains the building. Everyone
contributes.

Rupa

Old June 3rd 05, 11:50 PM
Banty

In article .com,
says...

Don wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don wrote:

[...]

Maybe the city should charge him for paving all the roads he drives on ;-)

Old June 4th 05, 05:48 PM
dragonlady

In article k.net,
"Don" wrote:

"dragonlady" wrote
Why is it you think the city "owes" you a paved road in front of your
house?

Where did I ever claim that?
The street was already here when we built our home 3 years ago but it was
full of potholes, trash was everywhere and the paving was very thin as it
was installed in the early 60's. No one else lives on this street. I cleaned
up the trash, filled the potholes and then repaved the whole street. Street
maintenance is paid for with property tax, which we paid.

Aren't you the person that claimed to pay property tax through your rent?
If so, then its no wonder all of this is difficult for you to understand.

Do you honestly believe that my landlord doesn't include the amount of
property taxes he pays when he determines how much to charge for rent?
That if his property taxes go up he won't pass that through to me by
increasing my rent went the lease comes due? I may not pay it directly
-- but if he didn't charge ME enough to cover it with my rent check,
he'd go broke in a hurry.

And where is the limit to that?

Ask the politicians, as they are the people that make the rules.
Unfortunately they are also the people that don't obey the rules.

Someone has to make decisions about how the limited $$ gets spent; it
makes more sense to me that the people we elect makes these decisions --
not individuals.

So, if they collect money to pave the road and then don't do it, then what?
I doubt that you would be so gratuitous if you actually paid property tax.

But they didn't collect money to pave the road -- they collect taxes for
a general fund that, among other things, maintains roads. Then they
decide exactly where the money is to go. You have the right to go to
the city (or whatever entity owns that road -- you'd have to find that
out first, and sometimes there are disputes about that) and tell them
that you think your road needs repaving. However, they have the right
to say that the need for maintenance on another road is higher -- or the
need to install better safety equipment somewhere else -- or a new
bridge -- or all kinds of other things.

If each citizen had the right to pay up front for the one thing that
THEY thought was most important to them, and then insist that the
city/state/federal government reimburse them, things would be a mess.

As someone else pointed out, since yours is the only property on the
road, and therefore yours is the only family using the road, you might
want to check and make sure it isn't a private road.

Old June 5th 05, 10:08 PM

Banty wrote:

Maybe the city should charge him for paving all the roads he drives on ;-)

Singapore has a special charge for anyone entering the central business
district during business hours. It isn't used for road maintenance,
being mainly a measure to discourage congestion, but I think it is used
for other infrastructure.

Another way would be a gas tax. Cover such matters as road maintenance,
pollution control, traffic police.

Or we could make all roads into toll roads.

Once we get away from the idea of taxes, and switch to user fees, it
opens up a whole lot of cans. Whether of worms or caviar I can't tell.

Rupa