Inappropriate Teacher's Dress

Old June 18th 05, 03:41 PM
Mary

YW7Ct251bsK3Y2nCt2HCt3Rpb24gKMmZLW7FrW4nc8STLcSBJ3 NoyZluKSAKbi4KVGhlIGFjdCBv
ZiBhbm5vdW5jaW5nCg==

Old June 18th 05, 04:20 PM
dejablues

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...
an·nun·ci·a·tion (?-nun'se-a'sh?n)
n.
The act of announcing

Yeah, you really meant "enunciation" :

2 : ARTICULATE, PRONOUNCE enunciate all the syllables
intransitive senses : to utter articulate sounds

Old June 18th 05, 04:35 PM
dejablues

"Mary" wrote in message
ups.com...

My God you are a piece of work. look the word up.

an·nun·ci·a·tion (?-nun'se-a'sh?n)
n.
The act of announcing

You forgot the first definition:

March 25 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the announcement
of the Incarnation to the Virgin Mary.

Thanks for the hilarious mental image of the angel Gabriel appearing to a
tattooed and pierced woman to tell her she will bear the Saviour! Hehe.

Old June 18th 05, 05:05 PM
Jeanne

Mary wrote:
Have any of you faced a teacher, preschool or otherwise that dressed
inappropriately? Recently, I experienced a situation with "teachers"
(they were actually college students doing a summer intern-job) that
wore low ride, cotton, white, mini skirts, with no slips (do people
still wear slips?). One has a tongue stud. Both wore shirts with their
belly buttons exposed.

DD was in a daycare where the teachers may have been dressed
"inappropriately" according to your definition. Her favorite teacher
had her eyebrow pierced and she was told by corporate offices to put a
bandaid on it when they found out. So, she put a bright neon pink
bandaid on it (the director may have given it to her).

What I saw was a caring, intelligent woman who was good with toddlers
and preschoolers. The pierced eyebrow was pretty much equivalent a
non-issue.

That said, it's up to you whether or not having appropriately dressed
teachers is important enough to you to switch daycare or not.

Jeanne
Old June 18th 05, 05:23 PM
Marie

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:05:51 -0400, Jeanne
wrote:
What I saw was a caring, intelligent woman who was good with toddlers
and preschoolers. The pierced eyebrow was pretty much equivalent a
non-issue.

It *is* kind of silly to judge someone based on appearance. Especially
for something that's becoming so common, such as piercings and
tattoos. It would never occur to me to question someone's abilities or
professionalism because of what they wear, either.
Marie
Old June 18th 05, 05:31 PM
dejablues

I'm sorry I called you a troll. There's always an upsurge in them at this
time of year, but you don't seem to be one.

Old June 18th 05, 05:34 PM
Nan

On 17 Jun 2005 19:43:46 -0700, "Mary"
wrote:

Have any of you faced a teacher, preschool or otherwise that dressed
inappropriately? Recently, I experienced a situation with "teachers"
(they were actually college students doing a summer intern-job) that
wore low ride, cotton, white, mini skirts, with no slips (do people
still wear slips?). One has a tongue stud. Both wore shirts with their
belly buttons exposed.

Yep. At my dd's preschool the "Stay and Play" gals all dressed this
way. They're not "teachers", but they are the daycare workers.
It never occurred to me to be bothered by it, as they're great with
all the kids, and that is what I feel is important, not how they're
dressed.

It is a delicate situation in that I am related to the owner. I did
say something to the owner, but then let the subject die.
I can say that husband is eager to drive my daughters to the school!

So, are you insecure? I wouldn't be bothered by my husband looking at
the gals at our school.

In a previous preschool, the teachers had tattoos, but they covered
them up. I have a tattoo as well, but if I was in a professional
situation, I would cover it up.

So, you can find another preschool or whatever.

Nan
Old June 18th 05, 05:55 PM
dragonlady

In article bZWse.14760$5s1.13027@trndny06,
"dejablues" wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...
an·nun·ci·a·tion (?-nun'se-a'sh?n)
n.
The act of announcing

Yeah, you really meant "enunciation" :

2 : ARTICULATE, PRONOUNCE enunciate all the syllables
intransitive senses : to utter articulate sounds

I wouldn't allow anything but ear piercing. However, both of my
daughters got their toungues pierced as soon as they could approve it
themselves (and, I might add, pay for it.)

For the first couple of days I asked them to not talk to me, because I
was thoroughly grossed out.

However, once the initial swelling goes down, the toungue piercing does
not create problems with enunciation.

(I STILL don't like it, and it DOES cause problems for dental health,
but their speech is not affected.)

(And they've both gotten jobs where they don't have to remove the tongue
studs at work -- though they both have enough brains to have removed
them when they went in for job interviews.)

Old June 18th 05, 05:56 PM
dragonlady

In article . com,
wrote:

Mary wrote:
Have any of you faced a teacher, preschool or otherwise that dressed
inappropriately? Recently, I experienced a situation with "teachers"
(they were actually college students doing a summer intern-job) that
wore low ride, cotton, white, mini skirts, with no slips (do people
still wear slips?). One has a tongue stud. Both wore shirts with their
belly buttons exposed.
It is a delicate situation in that I am related to the owner. I did
say something to the owner, but then let the subject die.
I can say that husband is eager to drive my daughters to the school!

In a previous preschool, the teachers had tattoos, but they covered
them up. I have a tattoo as well, but if I was in a professional
situation, I would cover it up.

Mary

Ok...so I can kind of understand the concern with appropriate dress.
Most schools afterall, have dress codes. I'm not sure how I would feel
about the piercings. If it is an issue for that particular teacher (i.e
there is difficulty in understanding what she says), then I can
understand that. FWIW, I once met someone (professionally) that I'd
talked to on the phone several times. Until I met her in person, I had
no idea that she had a tongue stud. For some people it isn't an issue.

Your comment regarding your husband though leads me to believe that
there's more to your complaints than you have fully described. If it
bothers you that he looks at other women then I suggest you have a
long, meaningfull talk with him. It might help.

annette

Personally, I can't imagine being bothered by DH looking. My mother's
position was always that she didn't care WHERE dad did his window
shopping, as long as he made his purchases at home.

Old June 18th 05, 06:09 PM
shinypenny

dragonlady wrote:

I wouldn't allow anything but ear piercing. However, both of my
daughters got their toungues pierced as soon as they could approve it
themselves (and, I might add, pay for it.)

For the first couple of days I asked them to not talk to me, because I
was thoroughly grossed out.

However, once the initial swelling goes down, the toungue piercing does
not create problems with enunciation.

(I STILL don't like it, and it DOES cause problems for dental health,
but their speech is not affected.)

(And they've both gotten jobs where they don't have to remove the tongue
studs at work -- though they both have enough brains to have removed
them when they went in for job interviews.)

You know, I consider myself as being fairly open minded about things
like tattoos and body piercings. I even secretly feel that my DD12
would look smashing with a tiny eyebrow stud (she's got beautiful
eyes). I also understand that such fashions can be a cultural and
self-expression thing. And I don't consider myself a prude either.

But the tongue piercing thing bothers me to no end!

If my DD's came home with one, I'd be seriously worried. Because, to my
knowledge, the tongue piercing is not meant for fashion. It's meant as
an aid for performing oral sex. From what I gather, those that wear it
outside the bedroom, are conveying their interest and skill in this
activity.

Now, if a person finds a tongue stud useful in their private sexual
practices, that's no sweat off my brow - enjoy. But to wear it outside
of the bedroom and walk around in public? Uh uh.

I'd be questioning whether my DD's had any self esteem, and whether
they were getting involved in questionable sexual activities that would
further erode that self esteem, and possibly put their health and lives
in danger. Or, maybe they were innocently unaware about what the stud
meant, in which case, I'd educate them.

Am I being too melodramatic here? Am I missing something? And, most
importantly, am I doomed to have my girls get tongue studs because it's
the one thing that would accomplish shock value for me? :-)

jen