5 Year Old Child - Discovered Small lump on Back of Head

Old January 8th 07, 12:52 AM posted to misc.kids
Billy

Default 5 Year Old Child - Discovered Small lump on Back of Head

I just discovered a small lump on the back of my 5 year old daughters
head that's about the size of a bean or a very large raisin. It's hard
and non-moveable. It's parallel to the ear towards the back/bottom/left
of her head. Almost feels like part of her head but it definitely
protruding and unlike the other parts of her head. We never noticed
this before.

We first thought this may be the result of her bumping her head on a
table recently although we do not remember an exact location of where
she hit, nor did she complain. That was about a week ago.

She says the bump doesn't hurt, then she say it does. You know kids.
She is otherwise acting normally - eating, drinking, playing....nothing
nuerological of concen. No red marks in the location of the protrusion.
It just looks like skin covered by hair.

Has anyone seen this on the back of their child's head, or anyone?
Could this be a normal development abnormality?

Old January 8th 07, 01:13 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"Billy" wrote in message
ps.com...
I just discovered a small lump on the back of my 5 year old daughters
head that's about the size of a bean or a very large raisin. It's hard
and non-moveable. It's parallel to the ear towards the back/bottom/left
of her head. Almost feels like part of her head but it definitely
protruding and unlike the other parts of her head. We never noticed
this before.

Sebaceous cyst?

Old January 8th 07, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Billy" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

It could be. It could be a lymph node. I suggest that you have your daughter
examined by her doctor. That is the only way you will know for sure.

Jeff

Old January 8th 07, 04:00 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

difficult to know, could be a number of things, most of which would be
benign, I disagree with Jeff on the possibility of it being a lymph node,
I've had lumps in lymph nodes and they don't feel like you describe and I'm
pretty sure there isn't one in that location, if you have problems with one,
doctors tend to examine all possible locations and that has never been one
they've prodded. I do agree though that it's worth a trip to the doctor,
even if it was related to the fall, it doesn't seem to be on the normal line
of healing, the actually bumps tend to go pretty fast.

Let us know how you get on.

Anne

Old January 8th 07, 06:58 AM posted to misc.kids
Tai

Billy wrote:
[...]

1) Get it checked by a doctor.

2) Several of my children had swollen glands behind their ears for long
periods of time off and on without any signs of illness. One or two lumps
would come up with a bad cold or ear/throat infection and stay up for months
after the original illness.

3) Get it checked by a doctor.

Tai

Old January 8th 07, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
difficult to know, could be a number of things, most of which would be
benign, I disagree with Jeff on the possibility of it being a lymph node,
I've had lumps in lymph nodes and they don't feel like you describe and
I'm pretty sure there isn't one in that location, if you have problems
with one, doctors tend to examine all possible locations and that has
never been one they've prodded. I do agree though that it's worth a trip
to the doctor, even if it was related to the fall, it doesn't seem to be
on the normal line of healing, the actually bumps tend to go pretty fast.

Let us know how you get on.

Well, I know ds has lymph nodes that I can feel in the same area the OP
described. I found a lump when he was an infant and freaked out. The ped
said they were lymph nodes.

JennP.

Old January 8th 07, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP.

"Billy" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

It sounds like where lymph nodes are. I can feel ds' (age 6) still and I
always could. I remember feeling them as a baby and freaking out. Get it
checked just to be safe though.

JennP.

Old January 8th 07, 11:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Well, I know ds has lymph nodes that I can feel in the same area the OP
described. I found a lump when he was an infant and freaked out. The ped
said they were lymph nodes.

maybe they change location or are not accessible for exam as you get older,
the first time anyone had a look for me was age 11 or 12 and they did seem
to poke everywhere possible to check them all (such as under the ribs, ow).
Or maybe I'm not understanding the description well, or something else,
either way, it's still time for a trip to the doctors.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 9th 07, 01:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Billy

Jenn,

It's not behind the ear. To better describe, it's toward the back of
the head, but *parallel* with the ear - meaning on the same level. I
think what most descibe is more or less behind the flap of the ear -
sort of an extension of nodes pathways coming from the mass of them in
the side of the neck just below the point you describe. What she has is
at least a good inch and a half from the back of the ear, between the
rear bottom center of the head and the left ear. It's in the middle
between them.

Please better describe the location of DS.

I'll keep all posted too. Thanks everyone!

Old January 9th 07, 01:34 AM posted to misc.kids
JennP.

"Billy" wrote in message
ps.com...
Jenn,

It's not behind the ear. To better describe, it's toward the back of
the head, but *parallel* with the ear - meaning on the same level. I
think what most descibe is more or less behind the flap of the ear -
sort of an extension of nodes pathways coming from the mass of them in
the side of the neck just below the point you describe. What she has is
at least a good inch and a half from the back of the ear, between the
rear bottom center of the head and the left ear. It's in the middle
between them.

Please better describe the location of DS.

I'll keep all posted too. Thanks everyone!

Well, he's in bed for me to feel a more specific location right now, but
IIRC they are at the back of his head at the base, just above where his neck
starts.

Jenn