Behind the ear Discharge?

Old March 12th 07, 01:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Professor of sour cabbage soup

Default Behind the ear Discharge?

My 1 year 3 month old son has some strange discharge behind the
ear. That's not from inside the ear, it is from behind the ear, in a
crevice where the skin of the outer ear meets the back of the
head. The discharge dries to a substance that looks like dried egg
yolk. The kid is not scratching that area, and looks generally
happy. I cleaned that area with water and dried with tissue paper, but
the discharge continues and that area stays wet.

Should I worry, and is there a medical term that I should read about.

-Poscs
Old March 12th 07, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"Professor of sour cabbage soup" wrote in message
My 1 year 3 month old son has some strange discharge behind the
ear. That's not from inside the ear, it is from behind the ear, in a
crevice where the skin of the outer ear meets the back of the
head. The discharge dries to a substance that looks like dried egg
yolk. The kid is not scratching that area, and looks generally
happy. I cleaned that area with water and dried with tissue paper, but
the discharge continues and that area stays wet.

Should I worry, and is there a medical term that I should read about.

-Poscs

It sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, which is similar to cradle cap, but
commonly appears behind the ears, in the naso-labial folds, and the
eyebrows, and can plague adults as well as children. It flares up in the
winter, gets better in the summer, and is more common in fair-skinned
people.

Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a yeast , so shampoos like Nizoral or
T-gel will help, or a doctor can prescribe a cream.

Old March 12th 07, 04:10 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

I think you are right about it being seborrheic dermatitis or even
common ezcema - but heck, it doesn't have to do with yeast.

Mine (and my kids) clears right up with a little cortisone (which I
wouldn't put on my kids unless the doctor agreed).

Mary G.

Old March 12th 07, 05:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Mar 11, 8:26?pm, Professor of sour cabbage soup
wrote:
My 1 year 3 month old son has some strange discharge behind the
ear. That's not from inside the ear, it is from behind the ear, in a
crevice where the skin of the outer ear meets the back of the
head. The discharge dries to a substance that looks like dried egg
yolk. The kid is not scratching that area, and looks generally
happy. I cleaned that area with water and dried with tissue paper, but
the discharge continues and that area stays wet.

Should I worry, and is there a medical term that I should read about.

-Poscs

I've only seen it once personally in older kids; they were my mom's
best friend's kids. My mom cleared it up with good washings behind the
ears and applications of baby oil there with Q-tips nightly. My one-
year-old will get a rash there if I don't apply either Baby oil or
Eucerin there at least every other day or two. Good luck. My mom tried
to tell me to put the baby oil behind the ears when I had my first
baby, but I skipped it for a while once thinking it would probably not
really matter and that it was an honored tradition only that she was
trying to pass down. He then developed a little crack back there,
despite me washing behind the ears, and that yellow gunk you speak of.

Old March 12th 07, 05:37 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

wrote in message
ups.com...
I think you are right about it being seborrheic dermatitis or even
common ezcema - but heck, it doesn't have to do with yeast.

Mine (and my kids) clears right up with a little cortisone (which I
wouldn't put on my kids unless the doctor agreed).

Mary G.

Cortisone reduces the inflammatory response, but does nothing to get rid of
the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2f6nes

Pityrosporum Ovale, a yeast organism, is associated with seborrheic
dermatitis. Corticosteroids can sometimes worsen this condition, and damage
the skin.
It never really goes away. You can keep it under control, somewhat, but it
tends to flare up again and again, throughout ones lifetime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrheic_dermatitis

Yeast organisms are difficult to treat , ask anyone who's had athlete's
foot

I never got any relief until I went to an old school dermatologist who
prescribed sulphur cream. It smells bad , but it works.

Old March 12th 07, 05:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"deja.blues" wrote:

I've suddenly realized that I still get this occasionally. I was
ascribing it to the glasses. I think the oil smothers the yeast.

oups.com...

Old March 12th 07, 06:05 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"deja.blues" wrote:

I've suddenly realized that I still get this occasionally. I was
ascribing it to the glasses. I think the oil smothers the yeast.

My mom (age 70) has a horrible case of it, but she resists my treatment
suggestions .
Seborrheic Dermatitis is a weird condition that makes your skin appear dry
and greasy at the same time. You get large flakes of dry dead skin over the
most oily areas like next to your nose, between your eyes, and near your
ears. Lotions and moisturizers don't help. You can scrub them off, but they
come back quickly - the yeast makes your skin cells have a huge turnover
rate.

roups.com...

Old March 12th 07, 06:52 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Pityrosporum Ovale, a yeast organism, is associated with seborrheic
dermatitis. Corticosteroids can sometimes worsen this condition, and
damage the skin.
It never really goes away. You can keep it under control, somewhat, but it
tends to flare up again and again, throughout ones lifetime.

either way, I'd start by just being vigilent in washing, using something non
drying, like dove, rather than plain soap, if that doesn't help then add a
smidgen of something softening after washing, like vaseline, or olive oil,
then next wash be a little more vigorous to get rid of some of the flakes,
then repeat. Thorough washing mostly keeps it away, though it can be a
problem in glasses wearers because there is constantly something there and
even the slightest bit of sweat can block things up and keep it happening.

Anne

Old March 12th 07, 07:21 AM posted to misc.kids
betsy

I've only seen it once personally in older kids; they were my mom's
best friend's kids. My mom cleared it up with good washings behind the
ears and applications of baby oil there with Q-tips nightly. My one-
year-old will get a rash there if I don't apply either Baby oil or

My oldest used to have similar problem. I used Bag Balm on a Q-tip to
keep it at bay. I think Bag Balm has mild antifungal properties.

--Betsy

postpartum discharge Liz Pregnancy 3 September 13th 06 10:38 AM
Q re discharge while ttc yellowgirl Pregnancy 14 June 9th 05 08:39 PM
Discharge kimberlee Pregnancy 5 January 26th 04 03:26 AM
(TMI) Discharge at 39 weeks na Pregnancy 1 November 7th 03 11:17 PM
Yellowish discharge?? Jody Pellerin Pregnancy 3 September 16th 03 04:30 AM