military schools?

Old October 2nd 03, 02:14 AM
Sophie

Default military schools?

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
Why military school? What do you hope to get from one?

:
:
: gee, maybe discipline, manners, courtesy, respect? Things that are
: SORELY lacking in the public school system these days....

That, precisely. Do you have any idea where we might start our search?
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Um, with you and your spouse. The values you mentioned are instilled by
parents IMO.

Old October 2nd 03, 03:26 PM
namek

Valley Forge M.A. is local to me, and is considered one of the finest . I
knew two boys who went there and an old friend was an English teacher at
their junior college.
I hope you have very deep pockets...room and board there are upwards of
$20,000 per year.

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
Hi all,

We're searching for military schools for a middle-school boy. I don't

know
where to start with this, what to look for or what to expect. Any help

out
there? We live in Colorado, in case you couldn't tell from the sig. :-)
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 2nd 03, 04:21 PM
T.R.H

dejablues wrote:

"T.R.H" wrote in message

Why military school? What do you hope to get from one?

gee, maybe discipline, manners, courtesy, respect? Things that are
SORELY lacking in the public school system these days....

And I dont blame the teachers, their hands are tied by results of the
liberal social engineering of the last few decades..

Right. Kids should be learning these things from their parents.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Yes, indeed they should, values that are good and will be reinforced by
the school system. Trouble is, our public school system is crippled and
a large number of parents DON"T want to teach their kids values, they
expect the school to do it. The kids from these parents proliferate the
public school system, and their behaviour is a detriment to all others.
Why do you think that charter/traditional schools are in such high
demand these days? Parents of kids that want to learn are tired of
fighting with the system, and are doing it on their own....

Old October 2nd 03, 04:45 PM
mbajema

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message ...
Why military school? What do you hope to get from one?

:
:
: gee, maybe discipline, manners, courtesy, respect? Things that are
: SORELY lacking in the public school system these days....

That, precisely. Do you have any idea where we might start our search?

Why not start by looking in the mirror. The aforementioned
discipline, manners, courtesy, and respect starts in the home, you
fool.

Mary
Old October 2nd 03, 06:31 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:14:16 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
Why military school? What do you hope to get from one?

:
:
: gee, maybe discipline, manners, courtesy, respect? Things that are
: SORELY lacking in the public school system these days....

That, precisely. Do you have any idea where we might start our search?
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Um, with you and your spouse. The values you mentioned are instilled by
parents IMO.

While I am not pro military school per se, I do believe that the
steriotypical idea of "military school" as where "boys who are in
trouble get sent to" is kind of an urban myth if you well. Certainly
re-inforced by shows like Malcom in the middle (kinds uncontrollable
so mom sends to military school)

I do think its not for everyone, and it should be a choice that the
child participates in, not that is foisted on him or her. Althouhg I
would never send my kid to one, I expect he would do well (but this
mind you is a kid who thinks of the citadel or VMI)

Military boarding schools are VERY expensive

Barb

Old October 2nd 03, 07:10 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
namek wrote:

*Valley Forge M.A. is local to me, and is considered one of the finest . I

Where do you live? I'm relatively local to there, too.

Old October 2nd 03, 07:33 PM
Clisby

T.R.H wrote:
dejablues wrote:

"T.R.H" wrote in message

[...]

The question was not "Why a private school?" It was "Why a military
school?" Considering that a boarding military school would probably
cost more than the most expensive private school here in Atlanta, there
has to be more to it than wanting to avoid public school.

Clisby
(also avoiding public school, but haven't turned to the military yet)

Old October 2nd 03, 07:54 PM
Denise

"Tracy Cramer" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:31:35 +0200, Barbara Bomberger
wrote:

I do think its not for everyone, and it should be a choice that the
child participates in, not that is foisted on him or her.

I agree. Military school used to be my favorite threat (although only a

joke!),
but now my oldest (14) has been talking about attending one for his

junior and
senior years of HS. He has some fairly serious behavioural issues, so the
biggest reason he wants to go to military school is for the structure. He

needs
to have his entire day structured pretty strictly and that's not something

that
can be done very well here with 3 other kids.

I have been spending time looking at websites for the schools in our state

and
expect that if he remains serious about this, I'll have to schedule visits

see what the schools are like. The only reason I've taken his request

seriously
is that he has good reasons for wanting to attend military school and I

think
he's really thought it through.

Military boarding schools are VERY expensive

That's no lie. This is the biggest issue for us -- the schools I've looked

at
run about $20K per year for a boarding student. There are none close

enough for
DS to be a day student, so I'm hoping we can find some serious financial

aid.

FWIW, DS is planning to go into the Army after graduation, so he feels

that
military school would help him make the transition more easily.

Its great that he can see that military school might help him, Tracy. IIRC
he got in some fairly serious trouble, right? I wasn't a bad kid, really,
but I do have ADHD and my daughter has Aspberger's (I find myself thinking
that might be my actualy problem as I learn more). And Military schooling
(AJROTC in high school) and the military (I joined the delayed enlistment
program my junior year) have helped me more than I can put into words. The
rigid scheduling was a huge benefit. And being in AJROTC definitly helped
with the transition from high school to military life.
Denise

Old October 2nd 03, 07:55 PM
Tracy Cramer

wrote:

I do think its not for everyone, and it should be a choice that the
child participates in, not that is foisted on him or her.

I agree. Military school used to be my favorite threat (although only a joke!),
but now my oldest (14) has been talking about attending one for his junior and
senior years of HS. He has some fairly serious behavioural issues, so the
biggest reason he wants to go to military school is for the structure. He needs
to have his entire day structured pretty strictly and that's not something that
can be done very well here with 3 other kids.

I have been spending time looking at websites for the schools in our state and
expect that if he remains serious about this, I'll have to schedule visits to
see what the schools are like. The only reason I've taken his request seriously
is that he has good reasons for wanting to attend military school and I think
he's really thought it through.

Military boarding schools are VERY expensive

That's no lie. This is the biggest issue for us -- the schools I've looked at
run about $20K per year for a boarding student. There are none close enough for
DS to be a day student, so I'm hoping we can find some serious financial aid.

FWIW, DS is planning to go into the Army after graduation, so he feels that
military school would help him make the transition more easily.

Tracy
We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!