What's going on?

Old December 22nd 05, 11:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default What's going on?

Martha is 7 weeks old, feeds well and has put weight on normally. She
was getting into a routine at night time, but the last few nights this
has been a problem. She used to go till about 12.30am and then woke at
4.00am, so two night feeds.
Now though, she might go down at say 9.30 and be awake again in one
hour or an hour and a half. Tonight she had a good feed and she's
awake at 11.30. I am not sure what it is that is waking her as she
does not seem hungry- she doesn't seem cold/ Putting her to the
breast she takes a few sucks and she falls asleep. When put back in
the cot, she is restless in seconds and seems to want more but
doesn't take much.
Advice please about this gratefully received,
Thanks,
Sue
Yorkshire, England

Old December 23rd 05, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Should have mentioned that she takes an hour/hour and half to settle -
rocking, rubbing tummy etc etc. Lots of grunting and farting (from her
;-)) She used to go back in cot and settle self back to sleep....

Old December 23rd 05, 06:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article . com,
"Sea" wrote:

Now though, she might go down at say 9.30 and be awake again in one
hour or an hour and a half. Tonight she had a good feed and she's
awake at 11.30. I am not sure what it is that is waking her as she
does not seem hungry- she doesn't seem cold/ Putting her to the
breast she takes a few sucks and she falls asleep. When put back in
the cot, she is restless in seconds and seems to want more but
doesn't take much.

Take a look at her gums!

And if she wakes up as soon as you put her down, perhaps the cold sheets are
waking her up? This happened to us one winter, and Sydney winters are rather
milder than Yorkshire ones!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old December 23rd 05, 07:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

My DS does this too - I just let him fall asleep against my breast and he
sleeps "like a baby"! LOL. I don't know why he does it though - if you
don't co-sleep that's a bit tricky...maybe you can try putting an item of
your clothing in the bed with her?
ups.com...

Old December 23rd 05, 08:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sea wrote:
Martha is 7 weeks old, feeds well and has put weight on normally. She
was getting into a routine at night time, but the last few nights this
has been a problem. She used to go till about 12.30am and then woke at
4.00am, so two night feeds.
Now though, she might go down at say 9.30 and be awake again in one
hour or an hour and a half. Tonight she had a good feed and she's
awake at 11.30. I am not sure what it is that is waking her as she
does not seem hungry- she doesn't seem cold/ Putting her to the
breast she takes a few sucks and she falls asleep. When put back in
the cot, she is restless in seconds and seems to want more but
doesn't take much.
Advice please about this gratefully received,
Thanks,
Sue
Yorkshire, England

Do you wrap her? This might help her not to scare herself with moving limbs.

No other ideas, sorry.

Jo
Old December 23rd 05, 12:31 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

It sounds as though your baby is uncomfortable. It could be *anything*,
so stay alert! "Anything" ranges from being too cold/too warm to
teething to a mild stomach virus to a head cold/allergies all the way to
an ear infection. Watch her carefully to see if you can figure it out.
Your ped. might be able to help you out if it lasts too long, since they
(like vets) are good at figuring out what's wrong when the patient
doesn't know how to speak.

Hope it passes soon,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 24th 05, 09:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thank you!
A cold has developed - all is clearer about why things were different!
Cheers,
Sue