more on dummy/pacifier usage (x-posted)

Old December 23rd 05, 06:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

Default more on dummy/pacifier usage (x-posted)

"Jake Mysterio" wrote in message
was pregnant with my brother. I weaned my brothers kids off their dummies
when they were 2 and 3 years olds when they stayed with me for a week. I
know many others keep them this long or longer but I just hate the things.
I really am not trying to offend people I just think like most others that
it should be a personal choice and the way the research was written makes
it sound as though I am doing a diservice to my daughter by not giving her
one.

I would have been so upset were I your SIL. Weaning my kids off their
dummies would not have been your place, unless they asked you to do it.
Even if I had been planning to do it, I would have been furious that you did
it for me.

Old December 23rd 05, 08:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

Jake Mysterio wrote:
I wasnt trying to comment on anyone but the research. Just that the way the
research paper was written it sounded as though dummies are the best thing
around. I dont think for us they are. My DS had one and his twin DD didnt. I
would have given one to DD2 if she had needed one. I wouldnt however let
them have it past 1year old as I just have a pet hate for kids who can walk
and talk but still have dummies hanging out of their mouths. That is not to
say that it isnt what your child might need, it is just that i dont like it.
I myself had a dummy to 3years old, mainly because my mother was lazy (her
words not mine) and couldnt be bothered trying to wean it off me while she
was pregnant with my brother. I weaned my brothers kids off their dummies
when they were 2 and 3 years olds when they stayed with me for a week. I
know many others keep them this long or longer but I just hate the things. I
really am not trying to offend people I just think like most others that it
should be a personal choice and the way the research was written makes it
sound as though I am doing a diservice to my daughter by not giving her one.

Cheri

I was planning on weaning my DS(18mths) off his beloved dummy in the
next month while he isn't at childcare, I hate dummies in older kids but
my DS loves his so much I haven't had the heart to do it yet, I esp like
the fact he has something to comfort him when he is in childcare 2 days
a week ( did recently introduce a blankey bear thing which he loves to
replace his dummy for comfort) I wouldn't mind him just having his dummy
for bed atm he seeks it out during the day, Any tips on giving them up?
is it cold turkey or can I just tell him they are just for bed???
It was easy with DD, she got tonsilitis and refused it at 11 mths and we
didn't ever give it back (she had one briefly when DS was born but
that's another storey, at 3 it was easy to get rid of again)
Alley
Old December 23rd 05, 09:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

My brother is a single dad and he asked me to do it cause he just didnt know
how to get rid of them, quite frankly he didnt have the heart to do it to
them, he is the kind of person who hates to see kids upset.

Cheri

Old December 23rd 05, 09:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

Cold turkey is the way I did it with my DS (at 11months) and for my brothers
children (2 and 3 years) I also weaned the children I used to nanny for when
they were 3 and 4 years. Their mother was desperate of what to do cause the
oldest was starting school and still had a dummy. I believe in cold turkey
but then I am a person who doesnt think it hurts a child to cry it out
either and I know heap here just dont agree with that. I took them away and
told them they were too big for dummies now. And I had maybe 1or 2 hours of
crying on the first day(not all at once mind you) and 30mins the day after
by the 3rd day they didnt seem to even care about it. I know of others who
have cut the tip off of the dummy making it harder to suck on and each day
they cut slightly more off until eventually the child cant suck it anymore
or looses interest cause it is so hard to suck.

cheri

Old December 23rd 05, 11:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

"Jake Mysterio" wrote in message
I wasnt trying to comment on anyone but the research. Just that the way

the
research paper was written it sounded as though dummies are the best thing
around. I dont think for us they are.

Okay. Your post just dripped of I'm better than everyone else because I sat
and comforted my babies instead of letting them have a pacifier. That's
Usenet for ya, tone is extremely hard to tell. I'm sorry for my snippiness.

I just have a pet hate for kids who can walk and talk but still have

dummies hanging out of their mouths.

I put it in the same category as breastfeeding. Many people breastfeed a
child that can walk and talk and it's more about comfort than the need for
nutrition, so if a child has a pacifier at a toddler age, then I see it as a
need for the comfort. Also, many many many parents, including myself limit
pacifiers to bedtime and naptime only. Two of my kids didn't end up using a
pacifier UNTIL they were 2-3 yrs old. How's that for backwards. They each
needed the extra comfort when I brought home their sibling. I decided for my
third that I wouldn't introduce a pacifier at all and thankfully she didn't
need the extra sucking.

I just think like most others that it should be a personal choice and the

way the research was written makes it sound as though I am doing a
diservice to my
daughter by not giving her one.

However, this article on pacifiers that Leanne posted said something about
not using one if you didn't want to.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 23rd 05, 01:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

Al wrote:

I was planning on weaning my DS(18mths) off his beloved dummy in the
next month while he isn't at childcare, I hate dummies in older kids but
my DS loves his so much I haven't had the heart to do it yet, I esp like
the fact he has something to comfort him when he is in childcare 2 days
a week ( did recently introduce a blankey bear thing which he loves to
replace his dummy for comfort) I wouldn't mind him just having his dummy
for bed atm he seeks it out during the day, Any tips on giving them up?
is it cold turkey or can I just tell him they are just for bed???

Sure, you can tell him they're just for bed. When he
gets up, tell him it's time to put his pacifier in bed. If
he wants it during the day, tell him that pacifiers are only
for bed and he can go and sit on his bed if he needs to use
his pacifier. That way, if he's really upset and needs it,
he has the option to go sit on his bed and use it. Most kids
will be way too busy playing and doing other things to spend
any appreciable amount of time sitting on their bed using
their pacifier.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 23rd 05, 08:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

I put it in the same category as breastfeeding. Many people breastfeed a
child that can walk and talk and it's more about comfort than the need for
nutrition, so if a child has a pacifier at a toddler age, then I see it as
need for the comfort. Also, many many many parents, including myself limit
pacifiers to bedtime and naptime only.

For me it isnt the comfort or the dummy itself that I hate but more the fact
that I know it is just dripping in germs and the fact that I have seen what
they have done to some of my friends kids teeth and speech. My best friends
5 yearold can barely string a sentence together and what he does say you
cant understand and she has been told that it is because he has had a dummy
all day every day up until he started kinder. I have no problem if that is
the way you want to go, I am just saying for me I dont like them at that
age. And I guess night use only really doesnt bother me. It is the 4 year
olds you see at the shops that still have dummies hanging out of their
mouths.

Cheri

Old December 24th 05, 05:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

"Jake Mysterio" wrote in message
My brother is a single dad and he asked me to do it cause he just didnt
know how to get rid of them, quite frankly he didnt have the heart to do
it to them, he is the kind of person who hates to see kids upset.

Well then, that's okay.

Old December 24th 05, 05:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

"Al" Al@nospam wrote in message
u...
replace his dummy for comfort) I wouldn't mind him just having his dummy
for bed atm he seeks it out during the day, Any tips on giving them up? is
it cold turkey or can I just tell him they are just for bed???

It was easy to institute the dummy-only-in-bed rule. DS understood those
types of hard fast rules. But sometimes, he just wanted his dummy and he
would lay in bed for hours just so he could suck on it.

When DS was 3yo, DH had a talk with him and he agreed that he was getting
too old for dummies, so he gave them up. It was that easy.

Oh, and he did give them up earlier when I poked holes on the end of them.
That was an easy way to get him to give them up, but he was a wonderful
sleeper up until then and he would not sleep at all afterwards, so DH made
me go to the store and buy a whole new set of dummies. It took a month to
get him back to sleep like normal again.

Old December 24th 05, 05:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,aus.family,misc.kids.pregnancy

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
he has the option to go sit on his bed and use it. Most kids
will be way too busy playing and doing other things to spend
any appreciable amount of time sitting on their bed using
their pacifier.

DS was not most kids. He slept about 15 hours per day, but he also spent a
few hours there relaxing just sucking on the pacifier.