Too early to have baby #2

Old September 19th 06, 12:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Blue Eyes Blue

Default Too early to have baby #2

Just looking for some opinions/experiences of others in my situation.
I have a 17 month old who is generally very well behaved and was an
excellent baby (Slept 10 hrs after 3 wks, fed well, mild tempered etc)
and myself and my husband are starting to think about trying for baby
#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
TIA

Old September 19th 06, 01:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Blue Eyes Blue" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just looking for some opinions/experiences of others in my situation.
I have a 17 month old who is generally very well behaved and was an
excellent baby (Slept 10 hrs after 3 wks, fed well, mild tempered etc)
and myself and blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
TIA

I have boys 1 year, 1 month and 2 days apart in age. Also will have 2 girls
that are close in age - DD will be 15 months when this one is due. There's
also 4 and a half years age difference between DS and DD.

I like close in age. Things I've found is that you don't have to pack away
all the baby stuff, as almost when one grows out of it, the other will use
it shortly. Also, there's always a playmate that's kinda close to your age.
You go through the stages, basically, as one big blow, but then it's all
done with around the same time and then you move on to the next 'stage' -
like potty training, the years of "NO!", preteen age, etc. I also found
that when DD was born, even though there's only 4 and a half years between
DS and DD, I almost felt like I was starting all over as a brand new parent.
I had long ago passed the stage of getting up at night, changing diapers,
having this little, tiny, useless thing crying at me and not knowing why,
and all that 'baby' stuff. Now with DD#2 on her way, I feel more ready,
kinda. I am still in the diapers stage, so I fear no diaper lol Also, as
kind of convenient as it is, I have a place to put the baby with DD in her
room, as we don't have the extra bedroom for another baby - DD and this one
will be close in age, have similar interests around the same time and
sharing a room with someone your own age is a plus - sure beats putting a 4
or 5 year old in with a newborn or one that's not very old and still in a
crib or something.

I don't think trying to start when your baby is 17 months is too long or too
short for age difference. Also, keep in mind how it can be very easy or
very difficult to get pg. Some try for years, others hit bang on with the
first month. All mine were fairly easy - basically first try - but I'm sure
I got lucky with that, as there are some who try and try and try, others who
just try, and this goes for second and third and so on, just as often as
first. I think for each person/couple, it all depends on how you both feel.
If now feels good, then go for it!

#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3
yr age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
TIA

If you and your dh are on the same page, then go for it. If you were to get
pregnant on the first try, your older child would be just over 2 (26 months)
when the second comes along, which many people think of as the perfect age
gap. And if it takes longer, that gap is going to get longer as well, but
you have almost a year before you hit the 3 year gap. And if it takes that
long, then it takes that long, but at least you tried, right?

As with anything, there are pluses and minuses for any age gap. The benefit
to 3 years between is that the older child may be potty trained and in
preschool, which would allow you some one-on-one time with your new baby.
Also, it's much easier to communicate with a 3 year old -- they can follow
directions, and understand that they have a new baby in the house, and they
can't always have your undivided attention.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
TIA

Nah it's not too early, not if you and your husband both want to go
ahead. There are pros and cons to all situations, I don't see why you
shouldn't revise your plan given circumstances.

Elle
DD Feb 23, 2005

#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions

Medically, it's not too soon. Other than that,
it's a very personal decision. Some people like longer
gaps and some like them closer together. Pretty much
every gap has pros and cons, and there is no magic gap
that guarantees that your kids will get along/play with
each other/share interests/whatever. If you get pregnant
now, you'll have a fairly high maintenance 2.5yo when
the baby arrives, which can be a little wearing, but
frankly, an almost 3yo isn't much better in that
department.
I think in these situations, you just do whatever
you feel most comfortable with. And really, even that isn't
cast in stone. You can start trying now, but there's no
guarantee that you won't end up with a 3 year--or greater--
gap anyway.

Best wishes,
Ericka

#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
TIA

you sound very much like me and my husband, we are young, 26&25 now, but our
youngest is the same age as your one and only. We started trying for her
just as our then one and only was 16ish months and we'd just had our 2nd
wedding anniversary, we conceived straight away and ended up with a due date
the same as or due date had been 2 years previously, our kids ended up
having birthdays 2 weeks apart though. I have to say that I think our older
adapted well to having a sister when he had just turned 2, and seeing the
way he is now at 3 and a quarter that I don't think he'd react nearly so
well, so from that point of view sooner was better. All our difficulties
have been due to a difficult delivery with number 2, which could have
happened whenever she had been born, it's hard to imagine life without those
problems now, but we've survived even with those problems, we love having 2
kids, if we hadn't had those problems, we'd be loving it even more!

Personally I thought I'd manage pregnancy better with a 1-2 yr old then a
2-3yr old, they tend to sleep more, if you need to carry them, they are
lighter, etc. Difficult to say whether I was right or not, but basically
pregnancy went fine and was fairly similar in how I coped to the first, when
I was working full time (or rather working 3 jobs!).

Caring for a 2 yr old and a baby turned out to be fine, much easier than I
had expected, I did a lot of reading to the 2 yr old whilst nursing the
newborn.

All in all, I have no regrets in just going for it, once we had decided to
do it, as I got pregnant first cycle the gap was closer than I might have
expected, but I think that was actually the best way it could have worked
out.

Cheers

Anne

#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
TIA

There's something to be said for letting a baby BE the baby for as long
as possible. Mine are almost exactly 5 years apart and while they were
not great playmates, the older one was old enough to be ready to give up
being the baby and never really resented her brother or the attention he
needed.
'
Now, as adults, they are quite close.

gloria p

#2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think?

I think you should do whatever sounds good to you. :-) There are pro's and
con's to all age spacing.

My first two are 24mos apart. My oldest was not sleeping well and still
nursing when I got pregnant and I always say I'll never do that again but
everything else was good. I thought it was a good age spacing. :-D.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old September 21st 06, 02:03 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Blue Eyes Blue writes:
: Just looking for some opinions/experiences of others in my situation.
: I have a 17 month old who is generally very well behaved and was an
: excellent baby (Slept 10 hrs after 3 wks, fed well, mild tempered etc)
: and myself and my husband are starting to think about trying for baby
: #2. Were both young 24 & 25, have been married for 2 yrs, have great
: jobs a house of our own blah blah blah....what do you think? Our plan
: was to start trying when baby #1 turns 2 but now were thinking the 3 yr
: age gap would be too much....any ideas? were leaning towards trying
: NOW...we KNOW we want #2 and were ready, just wondering if it would be
: harder to do it now when baby #1 is young or easier when his 3 yrs. I
: know its not gonna be easy either way...LOL Just looking for opinions
: TIA

Studies show that you body is best ready to have a new baby between 18
and 30 months after the last. Since both your early and late dates
fall in that range, I would say go for it whenever you want!

Is that an informed non-answer? :-)
Larry