How many uniforms for a kindergartener?

Old February 8th 09, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler[_2_]

Default How many uniforms for a kindergartener?

For those who have/have had children in schools which use uniforms, do you
have any suggestions on how and what to buy? DD will be required to actually
wear the full school uniform for parochial school K in the fall (instead of
the "clothing that adheres to the dress code" that pre-K is allowed), and
I'm considering going ahead and buying a few pieces at a time, a size up,
since I KNOW what the uniform policy is and it's unlikely to change (I think
there would be a rebellion, given the number of hand me down loops and
multi-child families which already exist).

Thanks!

Old February 8th 09, 03:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Unless your child is unusually tidy, I'd think one complete uniform per
day. If you get three uniforms, that means you need to do laundry every
three school days. If your child is unusually messy you might need to
send in a spare uniform to school.

Items that can be re-used are shoes (one pair only) and possibly
short-sleeved shirts if the uniform has a part that goes over the shirt
(such as a blazer or a smock). Long-sleeved shirts will get dirty on
the sleeves.

Teach your child to remove the uniform and hang it up (or throw it in
the laundry) as soon as he (or she?) gets home. In this way you will
eventually be able to purchase fewer outer-parts to the uniform. (The
under-parts, of course, will need to be changed daily.)

Also consider undershirts to absorb sweat as your child gets older; then
the shirts can be aired and re-used.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old February 8th 09, 04:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
For those who have/have had children in schools which use uniforms, do you
have any suggestions on how and what to buy? DD will be required to actually
wear the full school uniform for parochial school K in the fall (instead of
the "clothing that adheres to the dress code" that pre-K is allowed), and
I'm considering going ahead and buying a few pieces at a time, a size up,
since I KNOW what the uniform policy is and it's unlikely to change (I think
there would be a rebellion, given the number of hand me down loops and
multi-child families which already exist).

How much washing do you do? My kids all have uniforms, and I try to
arrange things so that I wash them at the weekend.

The basic uniform is white t-shirt/shirt, grey trousers/skirt and a
sweatshirt. With the white shirts, they get a clean one each day, so I
tend to have five or six (they are often sold in packs of two over
here). They each have two skirts/trousers, and two sweatshirts.

Oh, and they have about a billion pairs of socks each. But they still
seem impossible to find when we are getting out the uniform.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old February 8th 09, 07:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
For those who have/have had children in schools which use uniforms, do you
have any suggestions on how and what to buy? DD will be required to
actually wear the full school uniform for parochial school K in the fall
(instead of the "clothing that adheres to the dress code" that pre-K is
allowed), and I'm considering going ahead and buying a few pieces at a
time, a size up, since I KNOW what the uniform policy is and it's unlikely
to change (I think there would be a rebellion, given the number of hand me
down loops and multi-child families which already exist).

Thanks!

Depends on your child.
My children wear collared Airtex t-shirt, pinafore, sweatshirt
cardi/sweatshirt and socks/tights. (or summer gingham dress and cardi in
summer)
I always change socks/tights every night for both of them.
#1 never needed to change her cardi midweek. #2 needs a change most days,
especially if she's on school dinners. I have 2 sweatshirts for her, so I do
sometimes have to dry them overnight. They do dry on the radiator quickly.
T-shirts/summer dresses, I assess each day. It's change every other day,
unless visibly dirty, with #2 again it's about daily. I'd say minimum 3
shirts needed, but 5 makes life easier. They're about £1 each new so it's no
issue for cost. Summer dresses I'd say 5, so you only need to iron once a
week. They do tend to get dirtier in the summer too.
Pinafores, I use about 3-4 a week. #1 used to use two-one with zip fastening
for games days, and one (which she preferred) with button fastening. #2
needs them changed more frequently, but I don't need 1 every day.

Uniform is pretty cheap here, and cheaper on the second hand market. When I
was little few people had changes other than shirts. When I pulled my sister
into the bath, she had to go without uniform the next day! Now most people
seem to have several changes. I make the summer dresses, which is more
expensive than buying new, but they look nicer.
I could probably dress twins in what I've got, without being short, but I
probably haven't spent £50 in total on each ones' uniform.
Debbie

Old February 10th 09, 12:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

For those who have/have had children in schools which use uniforms, do
you
have any suggestions on how and what to buy? DD will be required to
actually
wear the full school uniform for parochial school K in the fall (instead
of
the "clothing that adheres to the dress code" that pre-K is allowed), and
I'm considering going ahead and buying a few pieces at a time, a size up,
since I KNOW what the uniform policy is and it's unlikely to change (I
think
there would be a rebellion, given the number of hand me down loops and
multi-child families which already exist).

It depends a bit on what's available. I have 4 outfits per season for my
son,
as he's a grub. If DD is neat, you could probably get away with fewer
outfits. If there is a choice of dresses and shirts+shorts, buy a
combination
-- the mothers of little girls I know say their daughters love the
dresses,
but that the shorts allow more freedom of movement for sport.

Don't they have a separate outfit for games?
Debbie

Old February 10th 09, 01:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler[_2_]

"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

At least here, not in the primary years, probably because the teachers don't
want to deal with supervising/assisting dressing that many children. They
start changing for physical education in intermediate school, which can
start anywhere from 5th-7th grade depending on schools. Which is also about
the time that the kids start to smell pretty awful if they DON'T change.
Little ones just get dirty.

Since DD hates mud and the like, I think we'll start with 5-6 tops, a
jumper, and a couple of skorts/shorts for the fall (it's still very, very
hot here in the fall, so most schools don't require the "Fall uniform" until
about 2 months into the school year) and a few pairs of slacks and a logo
sweatshirt or two for the winter. She should be able to get by with the
short sleeved shirts under a sweatshirt (and I've seen lower grade parents
layer a turtleneck under the school shirt and leggings under skorts or
jumpers, which apparently is acceptable, although it makes the kids look
kind of strange. In a public school, if we had kids coming in layered that
way, we'd question whether the parents had financial trouble, since they
couldn't dress their child appropriately for the weather. In a private,
uniformed school, that just kind of comes with the uniform .

There is a uniform exchange as kids get bigger, but DD is in size 3s at 4,
and will be entering K at 4 1/2, so it's unlikely there will be much
available for her (I'm guessing that I'll be doing a lot of taking tucks in
waistbands and hemming in the fall). They had to special order her uniform
for rec league cheerleading/dance because they didn't carry sizes below a
youth small. Apparently, most 4 yr olds now run big.

I don't suppose there's any prayer that any of the UK uniform suppliers
would carry the exact plaid DD's school needs (let alone the logo). It looks
like UK uniform stores cost a LOT less than US ones, even counting the
exchange rate.

#2's class change into shorts and t-shirt for games (age 4-5yrs) They
encourage them to do as much as possible, which #2 has done since starting,
even though socks can be a little struggle (try doing it with one hand) and
I think she needs the final pull up with tights.

[...]

Try:
http://www.marksandspencer.com (type school uniform into the search)
http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/child...01_02_04_01_08
http://www.bhs.co.uk/mall/department...ore/120537/1/1

Most do uniform from age 3yrs as some preschools require it.
Summer dresses are usually gingham check, pink and purple (my girl's
colours) are hard to get, but other's easier.
Also try
www.ebay.co.uk
as there's quite a bit on there.

Debbie

Old February 10th 09, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I don't suppose there's any prayer that any of the UK uniform suppliers
would carry the exact plaid DD's school needs (let alone the logo). It
looks like UK uniform stores cost a LOT less than US ones, even counting
the exchange rate.

You might want to try craigslist.org for your area.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 10th 09, 06:10 PM posted to misc.kids
betsy

Donna Metler wrote:

There is a uniform exchange as kids get bigger, but DD is in size 3s at 4,
and will be entering K at 4 1/2, so it's unlikely there will be much
available for her (I'm guessing that I'll be doing a lot of taking tucks in
waistbands and hemming in the fall). They had to special order her uniform
for rec league cheerleading/dance because they didn't carry sizes below a
youth small. Apparently, most 4 yr olds now run big.

I don't suppose there's any prayer that any of the UK uniform suppliers
would carry the exact plaid DD's school needs (let alone the logo). It looks
like UK uniform stores cost a LOT less than US ones, even counting the
exchange rate.

Does your uniform supplier carry a larger size range online than at your
local uniform store? I just googled the brand name, Dennis, that I
remembered from the tags on my old school uniforms. When I went to the
web site and searched with my school name, I was able to order the
uniform for little girls size down to 3 even though the school starts at
5th grade.

If your supplier doesn't carry small enough sizes, you may be able to
find a different US supplier that carries the same style in smaller sizes.

--Betsy