Back-to-work Dad concerned about quality time with newborn

Old June 6th 07, 02:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Snugglemonster

Default Back-to-work Dad concerned about quality time with newborn

Thanks all AGAIN for the input! I've since settled down with my
thoughts and completely forgot about the Baby Bjorn we bought which I
took our son out in last night and I loved it, he was quiet, wide-
eyed, and after 10 minutes (just like his time in the stroller) was
out like a light.

Old June 7th 07, 04:25 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

My DH likes the Baby Bjorn and has carried both our children in it
many, many hours and miles. That said, if you would like to try a
different style of baby carrier, http://www.thebabywearer.com/ has
really great product reviews.

And here is their page devoted to dads:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/WhatToO/Dads.htm

Pologirl

Old June 7th 07, 06:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
cjra

On Jun 5, 9:59 am, Snugglemonster wrote:
Well I do spend time on the weekends, I take him for walks, and at
night too, and stop during the walk to look in the stroller and talk
to him and coo at him and all that.

Get a sling. My DH loves carrying DD in a sling. Much more personal
contact.

We take him with us to places but it's hard to go anywhere for a long
period yet because he's usually eating every 2 hours, sometimes a 3-4
hour stretch here and there.

I'm missing something. That was when DD was most portable! I could
feed her anywhere because I didn't have to worry about bottles or
other foods, and she'd sleep in my sling or in the stroller.

I guess I'm overthinking things again.

As far as baths - we gave him 2 so far, each a week apart... he
doesn't like them! We wait until he's fully fed and goes potty and all
that... but he ends up screaming when he wash him with the wash cloth.

DD used to scream too, now it's her favourite thing. Just keep at it.
Try not use the cloth, just use your hands, make it a massage.

The DW likes to joke saying he's dramatic! Because even when he's
nursing sometimes he pulls himself off and starts fussing! (even after
he's already been burped).

He's a normal baby ;-)

DH felt the same as you at first, but he made special time with DD.
Initially when she was in NICU and he was back at work, he'd go in
from 5-6am to be with her. That was his special "Daddy" time. Once
home, he took over duties in the evenings and on weekends so I could
have a break. I still had to nurse her, and Igot up during the night,
but all eve and weekend he'd do all the other stuff. DD is 11 months
now and she's definitely bonded with her daddy. He's away right now
and it's clear she knows he's gone.

Old June 7th 07, 06:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
cjra

On Jun 5, 4:20 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
I agree that getting into the bathtub with baby is nice, although it can be
a little intimidating for novices. I found that I wanted my husband right
there with me in the bathroom, so he could take the baby when we were done,
to dry them off and put clothes back on them, allowing me to finish my bath
and take care of my own drying and dressing.

Yeah, DH gets in the tub with DD now, and has always taken bath duty.
but it is NOT a time for me to do anything else. He wants me within
shouting distance to take her when he's ready. While he's bathing her
I get the pajamas/diaper/bed ready. He can't manage to do it otherwise
(somehow I do when he's away).

Old June 8th 07, 01:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 5, 4:20 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
I agree that getting into the bathtub with baby is nice, although it can
be
a little intimidating for novices. I found that I wanted my husband
right
there with me in the bathroom, so he could take the baby when we were
done,
to dry them off and put clothes back on them, allowing me to finish my
bath
and take care of my own drying and dressing.

Yeah, DH gets in the tub with DD now, and has always taken bath duty.
but it is NOT a time for me to do anything else. He wants me within
shouting distance to take her when he's ready. While he's bathing her
I get the pajamas/diaper/bed ready. He can't manage to do it otherwise
(somehow I do when he's away).

Yes, I've noticed this about dh too. When #2 was born he couldn't possibly
manage on his own with both of them (still can't) although they were often
tasks I would do during the day and had to be on my own.
However when they're tiny I found I wanted someone around if I was in the
bath with them if only for handing out as I never felt safe holding them as
I stood up in case I slipped/tripped.
Debbie